all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Updates for Go
@ 2023-08-26  0:29 John Kehayias
From: John Kehayias @ 2023-08-26  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Katherine Cox-Buday
  Cc: Josselin Poiret, Wilko Meyer, Leo Famulari, guix-devel

Hi Katherine,

On Wed, Aug 23, 2023 at 10:12 AM, Katherine Cox-Buday wrote:

> On 8/22/23 8:24 AM, Felix Lechner via Development of GNU Guix and the
> GNU System distribution. wrote:
>> Hi Attila,
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 22, 2023 at 6:14 AM Attila Lendvai <attila@lendvai.name> wrote:
>>>
>>> currently the go build system in guix does not reuse build artifacts
>>
>> Can Golang reuse build artifacts?
>
> I don't think it's recommended right now. See discussion here:
>
> - <https://github.com/golang/go/issues/47788#issuecomment-1019562695>
> - <https://github.com/golang/go/issues/47788#issuecomment-1258773167>

> It sounds like due to the way the compiler can optimize code (e.g.
> inlining), `buildmode=shared` is not recommended, but in the future they
> are looking at allowing linking against a single shared library.

I've not been following in detail this discussion, but where do we currently stand? Is the proposed Go 1.21 patch basically ready? Should we create a branch and build job to start seeing how far we get in making 1.21 the default Go in Guix?

Like others, I have a few random Go packages (a bunch locally I really need to clean up too) and am not familiar with the language and our packaging much. Still, if I can help review/push some patches and get things moving, please let me know.

And thanks for all your work here, it is appreciated!

John

* Updates for Go
@ 2023-08-15 19:57 Katherine Cox-Buday
From: Katherine Cox-Buday @ 2023-08-15 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hey all,

Our Go ecosystem is currently in need of a lot of love.

* The Go Team

There is currently no branch for Go updates. I know Leo had tried to get
one setup at one point[0] but ran into issues. I'm unclear if they were
ever resolved, but the branch isn't there, and we need one.

There's also no one on Guix's Go team. I've created a patch to add
myself[1], although my availability has historically been very
intermittent. Please consider joining since the Go ecosystem contains
some pretty critical packages (e.g. Docker, syncthing, etc.).

* Go Versions

Go v1.21.0 has just been released. Go's release policy[2] states that
releases are supported until two major releases have been made. We're
building everything in Go 1.17.3 by default right now which puts our Go
ecosystem at risk since our packages won't be using security fixes that
have since been released.

To help address this, I've proposed[3] a Go v1.21.0 package, but not
made it the default.

Next, we should get started on compiling everything with a supported
version of Go. It would be nice to switch the default to Go v1.21.0
since it has some nice performance improvements. To do this, we'll need
the feature branch so we can begin working on what's broken.

What do you all think? If it's just me trying to fix broken packages,
we're going to be on Go v1.17 for a long time!

[0] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2023-01/msg00097.html
[1] https://issues.guix.gnu.org/65314
[2] https://go.dev/doc/devel/release#policy
[3] https://issues.guix.gnu.org/65317