all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#29522: rustc-1.16.0 broken after jemalloc updated to 5.0.1
@ 2017-11-30 22:41 Adam Van Ymeren
From: Adam Van Ymeren @ 2017-11-30 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 29522

I haven't had time to dig in to this further, but in case anyone wants
to fix rustc-1.16.0, it's broken after the upgrade of jemalloc to 5.0.1.

Reverting commit 475b99fa5cf402430aa93a40e406e854ad2ff6e4 which reverts
jemalloc back to 4.5.0 causes rustc to build successfully again.  It has
been broken for some time.

https://hydra.gnu.org/job/gnu/master/rustc-1.16.0.x86_64-linux

* bug#29522: rustc-1.16.0 broken after jemalloc updated to 5.0.1
@ 2017-12-04  0:01 ` Jelle Licht
From: Jelle Licht @ 2017-12-04  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Van Ymeren; +Cc: 29522

> I haven't had time to dig in to this further, but in case anyone wants
> to fix rustc-1.16.0, it's broken after the upgrade of jemalloc to 5.0.1.
>
> Reverting commit 475b99fa5cf402430aa93a40e406e854ad2ff6e4 which reverts
> jemalloc back to 4.5.0 causes rustc to build successfully again.  It has
> been broken for some time.
>
> https://hydra.gnu.org/job/gnu/master/rustc-1.16.0.x86_64-linux

It seems that the bundled copy of jemalloc in the rustc repo is currently
pinned at 4.5.0 partially
because of this specific issue as well.

I did find an issue on the rust GH repo [0], and it seems this also affects
the nix-rust project,
who seem to have the same errors as our currently failing build [1].

A temporary workaround could be to have a custom version of jemalloc with
the c++ features disabled
by building with `--disable-cxx'. Alternatively, we could just make use of
jemalloc 4.5.0 for rustc only
until this is all sorted our by upstream.

[0]: https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/43586
[1]: https://gist.github.com/marmistrz/a6e503a5491df80a493030e0a0e702d2

* bug#29522: rustc-1.16.0 broken after jemalloc updated to 5.0.1
@ 2017-12-04  9:09   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-12-04  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jelle Licht; +Cc: Adam Van Ymeren, 29522

Hi,

Jelle Licht <jlicht@fsfe.org> skribis:

>> I haven't had time to dig in to this further, but in case anyone wants
>> to fix rustc-1.16.0, it's broken after the upgrade of jemalloc to 5.0.1.
>>
>> Reverting commit 475b99fa5cf402430aa93a40e406e854ad2ff6e4 which reverts
>> jemalloc back to 4.5.0 causes rustc to build successfully again.  It has
>> been broken for some time.
>>
>> https://hydra.gnu.org/job/gnu/master/rustc-1.16.0.x86_64-linux
>>

> It seems that the bundled copy of jemalloc in the rustc repo is currently
> pinned at 4.5.0 partially
> because of this specific issue as well.
>
> I did find an issue on the rust GH repo [0], and it seems this also affects
> the nix-rust project,
> who seem to have the same errors as our currently failing build [1].
>
> A temporary workaround could be to have a custom version of jemalloc with
> the c++ features disabled
> by building with `--disable-cxx'. Alternatively, we could just make use of
> jemalloc 4.5.0 for rustc only
> until this is all sorted our by upstream.

Using a --disable-cxx variant of the latest jemalloc sounds preferable
to me over running an old jemalloc.

How does that sound?

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* bug#29522: rustc-1.16.0 broken after jemalloc updated to 5.0.1
@ 2017-12-04 16:10     ` Adam Van Ymeren
From: Adam Van Ymeren @ 2017-12-04 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Jelle Licht, 29522

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Hi,
>
> Jelle Licht <jlicht@fsfe.org> skribis:

>>> I haven't had time to dig in to this further, but in case anyone wants
>>> to fix rustc-1.16.0, it's broken after the upgrade of jemalloc to 5.0.1.
>>>
>>> Reverting commit 475b99fa5cf402430aa93a40e406e854ad2ff6e4 which reverts
>>> jemalloc back to 4.5.0 causes rustc to build successfully again.  It has
>>> been broken for some time.
>>>
>>> https://hydra.gnu.org/job/gnu/master/rustc-1.16.0.x86_64-linux
>>>

>> It seems that the bundled copy of jemalloc in the rustc repo is currently
>> pinned at 4.5.0 partially
>> because of this specific issue as well.
>>
>> I did find an issue on the rust GH repo [0], and it seems this also affects
>> the nix-rust project,
>> who seem to have the same errors as our currently failing build [1].
>>
>> A temporary workaround could be to have a custom version of jemalloc with
>> the c++ features disabled
>> by building with `--disable-cxx'. Alternatively, we could just make use of
>> jemalloc 4.5.0 for rustc only
>> until this is all sorted our by upstream.
>
> Using a --disable-cxx variant of the latest jemalloc sounds preferable
> to me over running an old jemalloc.

I feel like if rust is pegged at jemalloc 4.5.0 then that's what we
should be feeding it.  The changelog suggestst that jemalloc 5 has some
pretty significant changes, changing rust to use that theoretically lead
to some subtle bugs, I feel like I'd rather wait for upstream to make
the upgrade themselves.

@ 2017-12-04 17:19       ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-12-04 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Van Ymeren; +Cc: Jelle Licht, 29522

Adam Van Ymeren <adam@vany.ca> skribis:

> ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Jelle Licht <jlicht@fsfe.org> skribis:

[...]

>>> It seems that the bundled copy of jemalloc in the rustc repo is currently
>>> pinned at 4.5.0 partially
>>> because of this specific issue as well.
>>>
>>> I did find an issue on the rust GH repo [0], and it seems this also affects
>>> the nix-rust project,
>>> who seem to have the same errors as our currently failing build [1].
>>>
>>> A temporary workaround could be to have a custom version of jemalloc with
>>> the c++ features disabled
>>> by building with `--disable-cxx'. Alternatively, we could just make use of
>>> jemalloc 4.5.0 for rustc only
>>> until this is all sorted our by upstream.
>>
>> Using a --disable-cxx variant of the latest jemalloc sounds preferable
>> to me over running an old jemalloc.
>
> I feel like if rust is pegged at jemalloc 4.5.0 then that's what we
> should be feeding it.  The changelog suggestst that jemalloc 5 has some
> pretty significant changes, changing rust to use that theoretically lead
> to some subtle bugs, I feel like I'd rather wait for upstream to make
> the upgrade themselves.

Right, that makes sense.

In that case, we should reintroduce jemalloc 4.5 and use that in Rust.

Ludo’.

* bug#29522: rustc-1.16.0 broken after jemalloc updated to 5.0.1
@ 2017-12-04 19:35         ` Adam Van Ymeren
From: Adam Van Ymeren @ 2017-12-04 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Jelle Licht, 29522

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Adam Van Ymeren <adam@vany.ca> skribis:
>
>> ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Jelle Licht <jlicht@fsfe.org> skribis:
>
> [...]
>>>
>>> Using a --disable-cxx variant of the latest jemalloc sounds preferable
>>> to me over running an old jemalloc.
>>
>> I feel like if rust is pegged at jemalloc 4.5.0 then that's what we
>> should be feeding it.  The changelog suggestst that jemalloc 5 has some
>> pretty significant changes, changing rust to use that theoretically lead
>> to some subtle bugs, I feel like I'd rather wait for upstream to make
>> the upgrade themselves.
>
> Right, that makes sense.
>
> In that case, we should reintroduce jemalloc 4.5 and use that in Rust.

Sounds good, I have a patch that does this and also bumps rust to latest
upstream, but the build is taking forever.  Will post once I've built it
successfully.