all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* aarch64 machines donated by ARM!
@ 2018-01-25 13:23 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-01-25 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel; +Cc: Richard Henwood

Hello Guix!

In December, Richard Henwood of ARM Holdings kindly donated two SoftIron
OverDrive 1000:

  https://softiron.com/development-tools/overdrive-1000/

These are 4-core, pretty fast machines.  Both are currently at my place
and I recently added one to the berlin.guixsd.org build farm.  It
started building packages from the ‘core-updates’ branch, though it’s
not working at full speed yet due to the Cuirass developments going on.

The second machine needs a replacement of its power supply unit.
Unfortunately, SoftIron stopped answering my messages after initially
offering to provide a replacement.  I started looking for a compatible
PSU in on-line shops but the form factor is quite unusual (160x65x65mm).
If you know where to get that, I’m all ears!

Anyway, we’ll now be able to continuously provide binaries for aarch64,
and that’s really great news.  I suppose we’ll need to increase the
build capacity for aarch64 eventually so we can keep up with the change
rate, but that’s a great start.

Thanks a lot to ARM and to Richard for this donation!

Ludo’.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: aarch64 machines donated by ARM!
@ 2018-01-25 15:41 ` Richard Henwood
From: Richard Henwood @ 2018-01-25 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel@gnu.org, ludo@gnu.org

Hi Ludo',

Thanks for this update and your efforts to get Guix building on
AArch64! Do you perform any automated testing continuously or on
releases? I am interested to see if anything is failing on different
architectures.

I haven't forgotten that you are down one machine. It sounds like
you'll be perfectly happy just swapping out the power supply, so I'll
ask colleagues what they suggest, or figure out an alternative.

best regards,
Richard

--
Richard.Henwood@arm.com
Server Software Eco-System

* Re: aarch64 machines donated by ARM!
@ 2018-01-25 15:44   ` Richard Henwood
From: Richard Henwood @ 2018-01-25 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel@gnu.org, ludo@gnu.org

Replying to self:

If I had waited another minute, I would have found:
https://hydra.gnu.org/jobset/gnu/master

This looks like it is testing x86_64 only?

Are other architectures available somewhere else?

best regards,
Richard

--
Richard.Henwood@arm.com
Server Software Eco-System

* Re: aarch64 machines donated by ARM!
@ 2018-01-25 17:05     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-01-25 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Henwood; +Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org

Hi Richard,

Richard Henwood <Richard.Henwood@arm.com> skribis:

> Replying to self:
>
> If I had waited another minute, I would have found:
> https://hydra.gnu.org/jobset/gnu/master
>
> This looks like it is testing x86_64 only?
>
> Are other architectures available somewhere else?

hydra.gnu.org is actually building for x86_64, i686, and armv7 (hard
float).  It continuously builds the 6K+ packages of the distribution.

The situation is complicated by the fact that we are migrating to a new
build farm, berlin.guixsd.org, which now does aarch64 in addition to
Intel.  That build farm runs a different CI tool, which provides an HTTP
API but does not yet have a web UI like that you saw at hydra.gnu.org.

Thanks again for your help!

Ludo’.

* Re: aarch64 machines donated by ARM!
@ 2018-01-25 21:49 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-01-25 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel; +Cc: Richard Henwood

I’ve posted a news item here:

  https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/blog/2018/aarch64-build-machines-donated/

Notice the neat stickers courtesy of Chris Baines.  :-)

Ludo’.

* Re: aarch64 machines donated by ARM!
@ 2018-01-28  3:05 ` Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2018-01-28  3:05 UTC (permalink / raw)