all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* ethernet not loading
@ 2019-01-09 19:09 nightowl
From: nightowl @ 2019-01-09 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help guix

I have not been able to get my ethernet to connect.

I have a Broadcom BCM4401-B0 chip set using B44 driver.

I use dmesg command and see following message:

b44 ssb0:0: Required 30 BIT MASK unsupported by system.

Is there a way around this?  As an independent test, I have tried the
Trisquel 8 distro and it is able to use the ethernet, so the hardware
seems to be ok.

* Re: ethernet not loading
@ 2019-01-10 15:01 ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2019-01-10 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

nightowl <nightowl@members.fsf.org> writes:

> I have not been able to get my ethernet to connect.
>
> I have a Broadcom BCM4401-B0 chip set using B44 driver.
>
> I use dmesg command and see following message:
>
> b44 ssb0:0: Required 30 BIT MASK unsupported by system.
>
> Is there a way around this?  As an independent test, I have tried the
> Trisquel 8 distro and it is able to use the ethernet, so the hardware
> seems to be ok.

We probably need some more information from you.  What version of guix
are you running?  What laptop/desktop do you have?  What year was it
made?  Can you post the output of Trisquel 8's "lsmod" and the output of
guix's "lsmod"?

Thanks,

Joshua

--
Joshua Branson
Sent from Emacs and Gnus

* Re: ethernet not loading
@ 2019-01-10 15:17 ` Ricardo Wurmus
       [not found]   ` <fa8581f4be068ed4b923f10105e3e740@posteo.net>
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-01-10 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nightowl; +Cc: Help guix

Hi nightowl,

> I have not been able to get my ethernet to connect.
>
> I have a Broadcom BCM4401-B0 chip set using B44 driver.
>
> I use dmesg command and see following message:
>
> b44 ssb0:0: Required 30 BIT MASK unsupported by system.
>
> Is there a way around this?  As an independent test, I have tried the
> Trisquel 8 distro and it is able to use the ethernet, so the hardware
> seems to be ok.

Could you please tell us what kernel version you used on Trisquel?

--
Ricardo

* Re: ethernet not loading
       [not found]   ` <fa8581f4be068ed4b923f10105e3e740@posteo.net>
@ 2019-01-11  4:56     ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-01-11  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nightowl; +Cc: help-guix

Hi nightowl,

please always keep the mailing list copied in your replies.

> I have since reinstalled guixsd 0.16.0 on my machine

Since Guix is stateless, reinstallation is rarely ever useful.  Did the
behaviour change in the new installation?

> but when I run Trisquel 8 from a thumb drive, it reports:
>
>  4.4.0-119-generic kernel.

Guix provides a similar version of Linux libre.  You can select it by
adding “(kernel linux-libre-4.4)” to your operating system configuration
file.  You may also need to add “linux” to the “use-package-modules”
clause near the top.

--
Ricardo

* Re: ethernet not loading
@ 2019-01-24  3:26       ` nightowl
From: nightowl @ 2019-01-24  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: help-guix

I just got back to looking at this.  I was able to add the
linux-libre-4.4 to my system, the ethernet is visible now, but the
connection is erratic.  I am using gnome, but it doesn't automatically
detect the ethernet.  Sometimes I can execute the 'ifconfig eth0' up
command in the terminal and connect.  Other times it gives me an out of
memory message.

On 2019-01-10 10:56 pm, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> Hi nightowl,
>
> please always keep the mailing list copied in your replies.
>
>> I have since reinstalled guixsd 0.16.0 on my machine
>
> Since Guix is stateless, reinstallation is rarely ever useful.  Did the
> behaviour change in the new installation?
>
>> but when I run Trisquel 8 from a thumb drive, it reports:
>>
>>  4.4.0-119-generic kernel.
>
> Guix provides a similar version of Linux libre.  You can select it by
> adding “(kernel linux-libre-4.4)” to your operating system
> configuration
> file.  You may also need to add “linux” to the “use-package-modules”
> clause near the top.
>
> --
> Ricardo

* Re: ethernet not loading
@ 2019-01-31 22:25         ` Marius Bakke
From: Marius Bakke @ 2019-01-31 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nightowl, Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: help-guix

nightowl <nightowl@members.fsf.org> writes:

> I just got back to looking at this.  I was able to add the
> linux-libre-4.4 to my system, the ethernet is visible now, but the
> connection is erratic.  I am using gnome, but it doesn't automatically
> detect the ethernet.  Sometimes I can execute the 'ifconfig eth0' up
> command in the terminal and connect.  Other times it gives me an out of
> memory message.

That sounds really strange.  Does running 'dmesg' give any clues as to
what is going on?

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: ethernet not loading
@ 2019-02-01  4:13           ` nightowl
From: nightowl @ 2019-02-01  4:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Bakke; +Cc: help-guix

Sorry, I had been making allot of changes on my PC lately and could not
figure out what I all broke.  Ended up doing a re-install but I am using
the default kernel again (4.20.5-gnu) in GuixSD.  At the moment, I am
not too bothered by the lack of ethernet.  I might save this problem for
another time.

Thanks.