all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to see resulting config.scm as a plain text?
@ 2018-12-02  9:46 znavko
From: znavko @ 2018-12-02  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help Guix

Hello,Guix Help! I have a trouble in understanding what the result of compiled config.scm looks like.

Is it possible to compile and examine my config.scm to see, for example, what  `(display %desktop-services)` returns or my own %my-services returns after my modifications?

 I want be sure my changes are correct before I run system reconfiguration.

I do not want to rebuild system when I only want to see if the use of 'remove' function on the %desktop-services is correct.

I only want to examine the result as a plain text, displaying variables.

* Re: How to see resulting config.scm as a plain text?
@ 2018-12-02 14:55 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-12-02 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: znavko; +Cc: Help Guix

Hello,

<znavko@tutanota.com> skribis:

> Hello,Guix Help! I have a trouble in understanding what the result of compiled config.scm looks like.
>
> Is it possible to compile and examine my config.scm to see, for example, what  `(display %desktop-services)` returns or my own %my-services returns after my modifications?
>
>  I want be sure my changes are correct before I run system reconfiguration.
>
> I do not want to rebuild system when I only want to see if the use of 'remove' function on the %desktop-services is correct.
>
> I only want to examine the result as a plain text, displaying variables.

You can do that from the REPL:

$ ./pre-inst-env guix build icecat -nd
/gnu/store/ycs0h5dgj2ijjnv0v9ijh8gc05my7hh7-icecat-60.3.0-gnu1.drv
ludo@ribbon ~/src/guix/+core-updates$ guix repl
GNU Guile 2.2.4
Copyright (C) 1995-2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Guile comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `,show w'.
This program is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; type `,show c' for details.

Enter `,help' for help.
scheme@(guix-user)> ,use(gnu services desktop)
scheme@(guix-user)> %desktop-services
$1 = (#<<service> type: #<service-type slim 1728320> value: #<<slim-configuration> slim: #<package slim@1.3.6 gnu/packages/display-managers.scm:310 29c7000> allow-empty-passwords?: #t auto-login)

Though overall, I think ‘guix system extension-graph’ and ‘guix system
shepherd-graph’ are better tools to understand what’s going on with a
system configuration:

  https://gnu.org/s/guix/manual/en/html_node/Invoking-guix-system.html

If you use Emacs-Guix, you can also use ‘M-x guix-default-services’ for
instance.

HTH!

Ludo’.