all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Midi
@ 2015-02-15 15:43 Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2015-02-15 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello,

another message for Ricardo or anyone else interested in sound:
Have we already got an application to play midi files on guix?
I used to use timidity (with an appropriate rather large soundfont),
but maybe there are better choices nowadays?

I would not need anything fancy, even a translator midi->wav would
be fine for me.

Andreas

* Re: Midi
@ 2015-02-15 16:17 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2015-02-15 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: guix-devel

Andreas Enge writes:

> another message for Ricardo or anyone else interested in sound:
> Have we already got an application to play midi files on guix?
> I used to use timidity (with an appropriate rather large soundfont),
> but maybe there are better choices nowadays?

I know of no alternatives to timidity when it comes to a simple MIDI
player.  I wanted to package it a while ago but didn't get around to it.

Ardour 3 also comes with a MIDI sequencer; in combination with LV2 synth
plugins you could already get MIDI playback, but that's admittedly a
very heavy solution unless you already have Ardour running anyway.

* Re: Midi
@ 2015-02-15 16:43   ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2015-02-15 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

On Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 05:17:54PM +0100, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> I know of no alternatives to timidity when it comes to a simple MIDI
> player.  I wanted to package it a while ago but didn't get around to it.

If you feel like doing it, it would be very welcome!

Andreas

* Re: Midi
@ 2015-02-16  6:36     ` 宋文武
From: 宋文武 @ 2015-02-16  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge, Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> writes:

> On Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 05:17:54PM +0100, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
>> I know of no alternatives to timidity when it comes to a simple MIDI
>> player.  I wanted to package it a while ago but didn't get around to it.
>
> If you feel like doing it, it would be very welcome!
I sent a patch to add wildmidi, a simple midi player.
But I haven't test it ;-)

> Andreas

* Re: Midi
@ 2015-02-16 22:05       ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2015-02-16 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 宋文武; +Cc: guix-devel

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 02:36:37PM +0800, 宋文武 wrote:
> I sent a patch to add wildmidi, a simple midi player.
> But I haven't test it ;-)

Thanks for the suggestion! As such, it does not work:
libWildMidi(_WM_BufferFile:132): ERROR Unable to stat /etc/wildmidi/wildmidi.cfg (No such file or directory)

The configuration file tells the program where to find sound patches.
So in any case, we would need sound patches and/or a sound font to play
anything.

Andreas

* Re: Midi
@ 2015-02-16 22:16         ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2015-02-16 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: guix-devel

FYI: I'm currently packaging TiMidity++.  We may still need to package a
basic soundfont.

~~ Ricardo

* Re: Midi
@ 2015-02-16 22:29           ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2015-02-16 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 11:16:08PM +0100, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> FYI: I'm currently packaging TiMidity++.  We may still need to package a
> basic soundfont.

Debian recommends freepats:
   http://freepats.zenvoid.org/
It also contains fluid-soundfont-gm and fluid-soundfont-gs, but I did not
find a homepage with "source" for them.

I suppose that timidity should depend on a soundfont and then include a
corresponding configuration file (which could be created as part of the
soundfont, and maybe sourced into the main timidity configuration file).

Andreas

* midi
@ 2023-03-22 16:57 Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2023-03-22 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 455 bytes --]

Hi,

I can’t play midi files or lilypond files ending ly.
In Musescore PulseAudio is used and I can listen to the songs.
In Lilypond or Frescobaldi I can’t listen. No sound.

I checked in Guix packages and there are many midi packages.
Which one should I install, hoping it will work.
I have got timidity++ installed in the lilypond profile but it does not
work.

Has somebody got experience about midi?
--
Kind regards

Gottfried

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: OpenPGP public key --]

* Re: midi
@ 2023-03-23 10:09 ` Marek Paśnikowski
From: Marek Paśnikowski @ 2023-03-23 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gottfried; +Cc: help-guix

From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide @ 2023-03-23 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marek Paśnikowski; +Cc: Gottfried, help-guix

Marek Paśnikowski <marekpasnikowski@protonmail.com> writes:

> [...]

Isn’t the service run by the people who develop Musescore? If so, how
should shady practices be sabotage?

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein
heißt politisch sein,

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: midi
@ 2023-03-23 16:48     ` Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2023-03-23 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide, Marek Paśnikowski; +Cc: help-guix

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1798 bytes --]

Hi,

I don’t understand much about music theory, so I was looking for a music
notation programme WYSIWYG.
I woudn’t be able to use lilypond e.g. some years ago.

Some shady practices hint to certain problems,
they need money and misuse people.
Of course, the developers are not included in that ... I guess.

I don’t want to investigate that, I have better things to do,
but if you have an ethical understanding of "loving/helping people",
such things shouldn’t happen.

But now, after learning musescore I can imagine to switch slowly to
lilypond,
but of course it takes time to learn.
Lilypond is GNU-Projekt AFAIU
so it has a better background and I guess people are not mistreated.
It is always better, if possible, to use GNU packages
because we all now why.

But for now I have to solve my midi problem
in order to be able to use lilypond at all.

Kind regards

Gottfried

--

@ 2023-03-24  9:38       ` Marek Paśnikowski