all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Let's fix core-updates!
@ 2018-02-10  2:51 Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2018-02-10  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi everyone!

Currently, 13% of builds on core-updates fail:

  https://hydra.gnu.org/jobset/gnu/core-updates

We need to fix this to help Ricardo prepare for the next release.
Questions:

  1) When is core-updates "done"?  Do we merge once we're below a
     specific failure rate, once specific bugs have been fixed, or a
     combination of the two?

  2) How shall we prioritize and divvy up work for fixing the failures?
     I'm guessing people just need to volunteer and start debugging!

  3) Are there any tools to help us understand what the failures might
     have in common?  E.g., if half the failures occur because a package
     deep in the dependency graph fails to build, clearly that package
     should be prioritized for fixing.  I suppose we'll learn about
     commonalities as we go, but it'd be nice if there were a tool that
     might help us understand what to focus on first.

  4) What other bugs/features need to be addressed to un-block release?

I know that we want to update the default JDK used by Java packages from
7 to 8, but there are probably more important tasks to finish up, also.

Let's get started!

--
Chris