all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Google Summer of Code?
@ 2023-02-08  9:03 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2023-02-08  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello Guix!

Jose Marchesi applied to have GNU participate as an umbrella
organization in GSoC:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/summer-of-code/2023-02/msg00000.html

Participation in internship programs was discussed at the Guix Days and
quite a few people were enthusiastic about resuming participation in
these programs.

I think we could submit project ideas as Jose outlines in the message
above, possibly starting by collecting them on a wiki page as we did in
the past.  For reference, this is what we had in previous years:

  https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/GSoC-2021
  https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/GSoC-2020

Who would like to coordinate that effort and/or offer to mentor a
specific project?

(I am not offering to do any of these :-) but I’m happy to provide
feedback or share my experience regarding mentoring.)

Ludo’.

* Re: Google Summer of Code?
@ 2023-02-08  9:45 ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2023-02-08  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

I think we can add a few projects. Happy to co-mentor.

On Wed, Feb 08, 2023 at 10:03:06AM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hello Guix!
>
> Jose Marchesi applied to have GNU participate as an umbrella
> organization in GSoC:
>
>   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/summer-of-code/2023-02/msg00000.html
>
> Participation in internship programs was discussed at the Guix Days and
> quite a few people were enthusiastic about resuming participation in
> these programs.
>
> I think we could submit project ideas as Jose outlines in the message
> above, possibly starting by collecting them on a wiki page as we did in
> the past.  For reference, this is what we had in previous years:
>
>   https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/GSoC-2021
>   https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/GSoC-2020
>
> Who would like to coordinate that effort and/or offer to mentor a
> specific project?
>
> (I am not offering to do any of these :-) but I’m happy to provide
> feedback or share my experience regarding mentoring.)
>
> Ludo’.

* Re: Google Summer of Code?
@ 2023-02-08 10:17   ` Jonathan Brielmaier
From: Jonathan Brielmaier @ 2023-02-08 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

On 08.02.23 10:45, Pjotr Prins wrote:
> I think we can add a few projects. Happy to co-mentor.

I created a wiki page at libreplanet:
https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/GSoC-2023

I added a list of unique project ideas from 2018 to 2021, removing those
already done. Yeah, there are some done already :)

I think now we need to talk about which off them we wanna offer for 2023
and where we have a capable mentor. New project ideas are always welcome :)

Count me in as a co-mentor.

~Jonathan

* Re: Google Summer of Code?
@ 2023-02-08 10:22     ` pukkamustard
From: pukkamustard @ 2023-02-08 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Brielmaier; +Cc: guix-devel

Jonathan Brielmaier <jonathan.brielmaier@web.de> writes:

> I created a wiki page at libreplanet:
> https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/GSoC-2023

Thanks!

I'd be happy to co-mentor a project on distributed substitutes with
ERIS and all that fun stuff.

I'll try and add some notes to the wiki page in the next few days.

-pukkamustard

* Re: Google Summer of Code?
@ 2023-02-08 10:51 ` Simon Tournier
       [not found]   ` <CAAqdTgNur_MJP3TY36Y1J+L=8=HwjyGrZnHoXKpQ2rkZsJ-EDQ@mail.gmail.com>
From: Simon Tournier @ 2023-02-08 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès, guix-devel

Hi,

On mer., 08 févr. 2023 at 10:03, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:

> Jose Marchesi applied to have GNU participate as an umbrella
> organization in GSoC:
>
>   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/summer-of-code/2023-02/msg00000.html

The deadline for applying as our own* organization is over (February 7,
2023).  Therefore, if we want to be, maybe?, part of the GSoc this
summer 2023, our best option is to feed ideas as suggested. ;-)

> I think we could submit project ideas as Jose outlines in the message
> above, possibly starting by collecting them on a wiki page as we did in
> the past.  For reference, this is what we had in previous years:

>   https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/GSoC-2021
>   https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/GSoC-2020

Please provide any ideas, even ones which could look at first totally
crazy. :-)

Cheers,
simon

*run as our own organization: as GCC, GNU Radio, GNU Octave or GIMP.

https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/archive/2022/organizations/gnu-compiler-collection-gcc
https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/archive/2022/organizations/gnu-image-manipulation-program
https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/archive/2022/organizations/gnu-radio
https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/archive/2022/organizations/gnu-octave

* Re: Google Summer of Code?
@ 2023-02-10  8:05 ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2023-02-10  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix Devel

Hello,

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> ezt írta (időpont: 2023. febr. 8., Sze
10:03):

> Hello Guix!
>
> Jose Marchesi applied to have GNU participate as an umbrella
> organization in GSoC:
>
>   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/summer-of-code/2023-02/msg00000.html
>
> Participation in internship programs was discussed at the Guix Days and
> quite a few people were enthusiastic about resuming participation in
> these programs.
>
> I think we could submit project ideas as Jose outlines in the message
> above, possibly starting by collecting them on a wiki page as we did in
> the past.  For reference, this is what we had in previous years:
>
>   https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/GSoC-2021
>   https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/GSoC-2020
>
> Who would like to coordinate that effort and/or offer to mentor a
> specific project

I will contact Jose, pass a link to the ideas side and check how to proceed
and if we can help somehow.

> (I am not offering to do any of these :-) but I’m happy to provide
> feedback or share my experience regarding mentoring.)
>
> Ludo’.

* Fwd: Google Summer of Code?
       [not found]   ` <CAAqdTgNur_MJP3TY36Y1J+L=8=HwjyGrZnHoXKpQ2rkZsJ-EDQ@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2023-02-10  8:07     ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2023-02-10  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Devel

Hello,

Sorry, guix-devel was left off CC.

> > Jose Marchesi applied to have GNU participate as an umbrella
> > organization in GSoC:
> >

> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/summer-of-code/2023-02/msg00000.html
>
> The deadline for applying as our own* organization is over (February 7,
> 2023).  Therefore, if we want to be, maybe?, part of the GSoc this
> summer 2023, our best option is to feed ideas as suggested. ;-)

Yes, this might be a good idea. I am actually curious if this time around
GNU can get in again, but collecting the ideas in itself seems to be a
valuable contribution in itself. Maybe we can rename the libreplanet page
to something like Internship Project Ideas, or something like that. It also
now has a categorization and a proposal time based subsectioning, we might
think about a bit how to reorganize this content so that it is more useful.
( I think maybe the proposal time is not the default trait that should be
the most prominent.) I will have a look at this.

@ 2023-02-10 10:26       ` pukkamustard
From: pukkamustard @ 2023-02-10 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

pukkamustard <pukkamustard@posteo.net> writes:

> I'll try and add some notes to the wiki page in the next few days.

Added a project idea: https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/GSoC-2023

Comments, suggestions and co-mentors very welcome!

-pukkamustard

* Re: Google Summer of Code?
@ 2023-02-12  0:03   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2023-02-12  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix Devel

Hi Gábor!

Gábor Boskovits <gboskovits@gmail.com> skribis:

> I will contact Jose, pass a link to the ideas side and check how to proceed
> and if we can help somehow.

Awesome, thank you.  (And thanks everyone for working on the wiki page!)

Ludo’.

* Re: Google Summer of Code?
@ 2023-02-13  9:51   ` Simon Tournier
From: Simon Tournier @ 2023-02-13  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits, Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix Devel

Hi,

On Fri, 10 Feb 2023 at 09:05, Gábor Boskovits <gboskovits@gmail.com> wrote:

> I will contact Jose, pass a link to the ideas side and check how to proceed
> and if we can help somehow.

Cool!

Cross-finger for: February 22 - 18:00 UTC

    List of accepted mentoring organizations published

<https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline>

Cheers,
simon

* Re: Google Summer of Code?
@ 2023-02-13 13:35     ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2023-02-13 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Tournier; +Cc: Gábor Boskovits, Ludovic Courtès, Guix Devel

We can still add ideas after acceptance. We put one in for Mes.