all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Missing built-in commands
@ 2023-11-21 18:16 Einar Largenius
From: Einar Largenius @ 2023-11-21 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello,

I use guix on a foreign distro and the version of bash provided by guix seems to have many builtin commands missing.

If I run /usr/bin/bash I have no issues and can use guix and everything else without issue, but if I run ~/.guix-profile/bin/bash (or just bash) from my terminal I get errors like these:

    bash: shopt: progcomp: invalid shell option name
    bash: shopt: progcomp: invalid shell option name
    bash: complete: command not found
    bash: complete: command not found
    #... and so on

Other builtin commands like help also seems to be missing. Some input commands also don't work, instead printing things like ^P or ^N when trying to browse history.

--
Med vänliga hälsningar Einar

* Re: Missing built-in commands
@ 2023-11-22  2:12 ` Oleg Pykhalov
From: Oleg Pykhalov @ 2023-11-22  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Einar Largenius; +Cc: help-guix

Hello Einar,

Einar Largenius <jaadu@lysator.liu.se> writes:

> I use guix on a foreign distro and the version of bash provided by guix seems
> to have many builtin commands missing.
>
> If I run /usr/bin/bash I have no issues and can use guix and everything else
> without issue, but if I run ~/.guix-profile/bin/bash (or just bash) from my
> terminal I get errors like these:
>
>     bash: shopt: progcomp: invalid shell option name
>     bash: shopt: progcomp: invalid shell option name
>     bash: complete: command not found
>     bash: complete: command not found
>     #... and so on
>
> Other builtin commands like help also seems to be missing. Some input commands
> also don't work, instead printing things like ^P or ^N when trying to browse
> history.

What ~/.guix-profile/bin/bash points to? See:

    readlink -f ~/.guix-profile/bin/bash

If it's ‘bash-minimal’, then try the ‘bash’ package insted, e.g.:

    guix package --remove bash-minimal
    guix package --install bash

Oleg.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Missing built-in commands
@ 2023-11-22 18:21   ` Einar Largenius
From: Einar Largenius @ 2023-11-22 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleg Pykhalov; +Cc: help-guix

onsdag den 22 november 2023 skrev Oleg Pykhalov:

> What ~/.guix-profile/bin/bash points to? See:
>
>     readlink -f ~/.guix-profile/bin/bash
>
> If it's ‘bash-minimal’, then try the ‘bash’ package insted, e.g.:
>
>     guix package --remove bash-minimal
>     guix package --install bash
>

> Oleg.
>
> [[End of PGP Signed Part]]

Ah, that solved it. It seems that bash-minimal shadowed bash. Thanks!

--
Med vänliga hälsningar Einar