all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* [Sharing store/state between Nix and Guix]: How stable is it?
@ 2017-02-06 22:14 rohit yadav
From: rohit yadav @ 2017-02-06 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Is there anyone who has experimented with above mentioned idea? In theory
it may be possible, I am just wondering how stable is it? Assuming, I
installed a package with guix, it should change the database, create a new
profile. As long as ~/.nix-profile or ~/.guix-profile points to current
profile I should see the changes in list of packages in the current
generation. So, at higher level it should almost be indistinguishable
whether nix or guix is used to manage the profiles.

Is there any plan to change the nix core completely (reimplement using
scheme guile) in the future?

Thanks,
Rohit

* Re: [Sharing store/state between Nix and Guix]: How stable is it?
@ 2017-02-07  5:50 ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2017-02-07  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rohit yadav; +Cc: guix-devel

On Mon, Feb 06, 2017 at 04:14:04PM -0600, rohit yadav wrote:
>    Hi,
>    Is there anyone who has experimented with above mentioned idea? In theory
>    it may be possible, I am just wondering how stable is it? Assuming, I
>    installed a package with guix, it should change the database, create a new
>    profile. As long as ~/.nix-profile or ~/.guix-profile points to current
>    profile I should see the changes in list of packages in the current
>    generation. So, at higher level it should almost be indistinguishable
>    whether nix or guix is used to manage the profiles.

Yes, it is perfectly safe and some people do that. Note that I would
not *share* the DB and store - just have them separate and they
coexist fine.

>    Is there any plan to change the nix core completely (reimplement using
>    scheme guile) in the future?

When someone feels the itch it may happen. At FOSDEM someone joked
that we should support the Nix language in Guix - i.e., write a Nix to
Guile interpreter to support Nix packages live in Guix. Alternatively
run two daemons.

Pj.

* Re: [Sharing store/state between Nix and Guix]: How stable is it?
@ 2017-02-07 15:16   ` rohit yadav
From: rohit yadav @ 2017-02-07 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins; +Cc: guix-devel

On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 11:50 PM, Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public12@thebird.nl>
wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 06, 2017 at 04:14:04PM -0600, rohit yadav wrote:
> >    Hi,
> >    Is there anyone who has experimented with above mentioned idea? In
> theory
> >    it may be possible, I am just wondering how stable is it? Assuming, I
> >    installed a package with guix, it should change the database, create
> a new
> >    profile. As long as ~/.nix-profile or ~/.guix-profile points to
> current
> >    profile I should see the changes in list of packages in the current
> >    generation. So, at higher level it should almost be indistinguishable
> >    whether nix or guix is used to manage the profiles.
>
> Yes, it is perfectly safe and some people do that. Note that I would
> not *share* the DB and store - just have them separate and they
> coexist fine.

Actually my question was whether DB and Store can be shared. Guix and Nix
only changes the databases depending on what is installed and updating the
current generation.​

> >    Is there any plan to change the nix core completely (reimplement using
> >    scheme guile) in the future?
>
> When someone feels the itch it may happen. At FOSDEM someone joked
> that we should support the Nix language in Guix - i.e., write a Nix to
> Guile interpreter to support Nix packages live in Guix. Alternatively
> run two daemons.

​- Yes, that may be useful. This way we can benefit from the work of NixOS
community.​

@ 2017-02-08 16:05     ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2017-02-08 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rohit yadav; +Cc: guix-devel

rohit yadav <rohityadav@utexas.edu> writes:

> On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 11:50 PM, Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public12@thebird.nl>
> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Feb 06, 2017 at 04:14:04PM -0600, rohit yadav wrote:
>> >    Hi,
>> >    Is there anyone who has experimented with above mentioned idea? In
>> theory
>> >    it may be possible, I am just wondering how stable is it? Assuming, I
>> >    installed a package with guix, it should change the database, create
>> a new
>> >    profile. As long as ~/.nix-profile or ~/.guix-profile points to
>> current
>> >    profile I should see the changes in list of packages in the current
>> >    generation. So, at higher level it should almost be indistinguishable
>> >    whether nix or guix is used to manage the profiles.
>>
>> Yes, it is perfectly safe and some people do that. Note that I would
>> not *share* the DB and store - just have them separate and they
>> coexist fine.
>>
> Actually my question was whether DB and Store can be shared. Guix and Nix
> only changes the databases depending on what is installed and updating the
> current generation.

I don’t think there’s a practical advantage in sharing the store.  The
items will be different for the most part anyway so Guix cannot just use
Nix store items.  You might benefit from deduplication, but it might
make more sense to do deduplication at the filesystem level.

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net