all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Question about the use of GNU Guix in production
@ 2022-09-07 14:04 Daniel Riesner
From: Daniel Riesner @ 2022-09-07 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello,

although for now I only quickly tried GNU Guix in a vm, but more in
depth have read the well written GNU Guix manual, I'm quite fascinated
by it. Having a bit of a background in DevOps working among other things
with infrastructure as code tool Terraform and the method of GitOps, I
came to like declarative configuration. To me it seems for operating
services, it brings e.g. greater transparency in collaboration and
better ways to test and rollback changes in case of failure. Concerning
the more political aspects, in many places I prefer free software and
more decentralized services. Since I'm currently looking for a job,
besides academic institutions, are there any companies known to use GNU
Guix, which maybe even have open positions preferably in Germany or
remote? Or do you maybe know of any places where such offers are shared
as it is done e.g. for NixOS in their discourse forum?

Best wishes
Daniel Riesner

* Re: Question about the use of GNU Guix in production
@ 2022-09-07 16:04 ` Csepp
From: Csepp @ 2022-09-07 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Riesner; +Cc: help-guix

Daniel Riesner <danielriesner@posteo.net> writes:

> Hello,
>
> although for now I only quickly tried GNU Guix in a vm, but more in
> depth have read the well written GNU Guix manual, I'm quite fascinated
> by it. Having a bit of a background in DevOps working among other
> things with infrastructure as code tool Terraform and the method of
> GitOps, I came to like declarative configuration. To me it seems for
> operating services, it brings e.g. greater transparency in
> collaboration and better ways to test and rollback changes in case of
> failure. Concerning the more political aspects, in many places I
> prefer free software and more decentralized services. Since I'm
> currently looking for a job, besides academic institutions, are there
> any companies known to use GNU Guix, which maybe even have open
> positions preferably in Germany or remote? Or do you maybe know of any
> places where such offers are shared as it is done e.g. for NixOS in
> their discourse forum?
>
> Best wishes
> Daniel Riesner

I've seen at least one job offer on one of the mailing lists (probably
the developer one), but it's not a common sight.

* Re: Question about the use of GNU Guix in production
@ 2022-09-07 17:09   ` Philip Beadling
From: Philip Beadling @ 2022-09-07 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Riesner; +Cc: help-guix@gnu.org

Hi

________________________________
> . Since I'm
> currently looking for a job, besides academic institutions, are there
> any companies known to use GNU Guix, which maybe even have open
> positions preferably in Germany or remote? Or do you maybe know of any
> places where such offers are shared as it is done e.g. for NixOS in
> their discourse forum?
>
> Best wishes
> Daniel Riesner

Just FYI - I've hired one senior developer (at Quantile Technologies Ltd) where the job spec mentioned Guix knowledge as preferred, but not a requirement.  To widen the net, I said anyone with a working knowledge of Scheme or LISP who was prepared to learn Guix was good enough for me.  The person I hired had some knowledge of NixOS, decent LISP background, and had heard of Guix, but picked-up most of their Guix knowledge after hiring.  The role is approx 50% Guix/Guile, and 50% unrelated development work (Scala/C++/Python/etc).

I'm not hiring at the moment, and no plans, but might have development/devops crossover positions in the future similar to this - probably not fully remote tho, and London based.  I would probably post these on Guix Developers if and when they come about.

In general, you don't hear of many roles, but I hope that will change in time!

* Re: Question about the use of GNU Guix in production
@ 2022-09-23 16:43   ` Daniel Riesner
From: Daniel Riesner @ 2022-09-23 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Csepp; +Cc: help-guix

On 07.09.22 18:04, Csepp wrote:
> Daniel Riesner <danielriesner@posteo.net> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> although for now I only quickly tried GNU Guix in a vm, but more in
>> depth have read the well written GNU Guix manual, I'm quite fascinated
>> by it. Having a bit of a background in DevOps working among other
>> things with infrastructure as code tool Terraform and the method of
>> GitOps, I came to like declarative configuration. To me it seems for
>> operating services, it brings e.g. greater transparency in
>> collaboration and better ways to test and rollback changes in case of
>> failure. Concerning the more political aspects, in many places I
>> prefer free software and more decentralized services. Since I'm
>> currently looking for a job, besides academic institutions, are there
>> any companies known to use GNU Guix, which maybe even have open
>> positions preferably in Germany or remote? Or do you maybe know of any
>> places where such offers are shared as it is done e.g. for NixOS in
>> their discourse forum?
>>
>> Best wishes
>> Daniel Riesner
> I've seen at least one job offer on one of the mailing lists (probably
> the developer one), but it's not a common sight.
Thanks for your reply!

Best wishes
Daniel

* Re: Question about the use of GNU Guix in production
@ 2022-09-23 16:48     ` Daniel Riesner
From: Daniel Riesner @ 2022-09-23 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Beadling; +Cc: help-guix@gnu.org

On 07.09.22 19:09, Philip Beadling wrote:
> Hi

> *> *. Since I'm
> > currently looking for a job, besides academic institutions, are there
> > any companies known to use GNU Guix, which maybe even have open
> > positions preferably in Germany or remote? Or do you maybe know of any
> > places where such offers are shared as it is done e.g. for NixOS in
> > their discourse forum?
> >
> > Best wishes
> > Daniel Riesner
>
> Just FYI - I've hired one senior developer (at Quantile Technologies
> Ltd) where the job spec mentioned Guix knowledge as preferred, but not
> a requirement.  To widen the net, I said anyone with a working
> knowledge of Scheme or LISP who was prepared to learn Guix was good
> enough for me.  The person I hired had some knowledge of NixOS, decent
> LISP background, and had heard of Guix, but picked-up most of their
> Guix knowledge after hiring.  The role is approx 50% Guix/Guile, and
> 50% unrelated development work (Scala/C++/Python/etc).
>
> I'm not hiring at the moment, and no plans, but might have
> development/devops crossover positions in the future similar to this -
> probably not fully remote tho, and London based.  I would probably
> post these on Guix Developers if and when they come about.
>
> In general, you don't hear of many roles, but I hope that will change
> in time!

Hi Philip,

thanks for your reply!

Best wishes