all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Fingerprint Service
@ 2019-05-09 14:11 Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2019-05-09 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello Guix!

Based on this (https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Miscellaneous-Services.html#Miscellaneous-Services (https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Miscellaneous-Services.html#Miscellaneous-Services)), I have included "fprintd-service-type" (with default config, that is, values left blank) to my system services in the system config. The "guix system reconfigure" went without any errors. But it appears the service is not actually added to the system.

When I checked "herd status" as root, the fprintd service was not running. Also, when I did "herd start fprintd", I am getting "service not found". That means the service itself is not available in the system right? Weird!?

My device is RYF-Certified TET-X200T (https://tehnoetic.com/tet-x200t (https://tehnoetic.com/tet-x200t)).

Thank you!

Regards,
RG.

* Re: Fingerprint Service
@ 2019-05-15 21:10 ` Ludovic Courtès
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2019-05-15 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raghav Gururajan; +Cc: help-guix

Hi,

"Raghav Gururajan" <rvgn@disroot.org> skribis:

> Based on this
> (https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Miscellaneous-Services.html#Miscellaneous-Services
> (https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Miscellaneous-Services.html#Miscellaneous-Services)),
> I have included "fprintd-service-type" (with default config, that is,
> values left blank) to my system services in the system config. The
> "guix system reconfigure" went without any errors. But it appears the
> service is not actually added to the system.
>
> When I checked "herd status" as root, the fprintd service was not
> running. Also, when I did "herd start fprintd", I am getting "service
> not found". That means the service itself is not available in the
> system right? Weird!?

fprintd is a D-Bus service, meaning that it’s not managed by shepherd,
and thus not accessible with the ‘herd’ command.

Instead, it’s supposed to be started on demand when applications ask for
the fingerprint service.  The ‘fprintd’ package provides several
commands starting with ‘fprintd-’ that should allow you to check whether
it’s working.

Now, I’ve never actually used this service, so take it with a grain of
salt.  :-)

HTH,
Ludo’.

* Re: Fingerprint Service
@ 2019-05-15 21:22 ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2019-05-15 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix, Raghav Gururajan

Raghav,

Have you tried actually using the finger print reader?  You might
be pleasantly surprised.

After Danny's fix, fprintd just works on my X230T:

  λ fprintd-enroll
  Using device /net/reactivated/Fprint/Device/0
  Enrolling right-index-finger finger.

…and the finger print reader lights right up!

Kind regards,

T G-R

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Fingerprint Service
@ 2019-05-16  4:48 ` Raghav Gururajan
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2019-05-16  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix

> fprintd is a D-Bus service, meaning that it’s not managed by shepherd,
> and thus not accessible with the ‘herd’ command.

Oops! I did not know that. Thanks!

> Instead, it’s supposed to be started on demand when applications ask for
> the fingerprint service. The ‘fprintd’ package provides several
> commands starting with ‘fprintd-’ that should allow you to check whether
> it’s working.

Got it :-)

> Now, I’ve never actually used this service, so take it with a grain of
> salt. :-)

Acknowledged ;-)

Regards,
RG.

* Re: Fingerprint Service
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-05-16  4:51 ` Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2019-05-16  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice, help-guix

> Have you tried actually using the finger print reader? You might
> be pleasantly surprised.

I did not know how, so, tried herd command. Just came to know from Ludo, that, fprintd is a d-bus service.

> After Danny's fix, fprintd just works on my X230T:
>
> λ fprintd-enroll
> Using device /net/reactivated/Fprint/Device/0
> Enrolling right-index-finger finger.
>
> …and the finger print reader lights right up!

That's cool! I will try and get back to you. :-)

Regards,
RG.

* Re: Fingerprint Service
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-05-16  8:06 ` Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2019-05-16  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice, help-guix

>> After Danny's fix, fprintd just works on my X230T:
>>
>> λ fprintd-enroll
>> Using device /net/reactivated/Fprint/Device/0
>> Enrolling right-index-finger finger.
>>
>> …and the finger print reader lights right up!
>
> That's cool! I will try and get back to you. :-)

Typing "λ fprintd-enroll" or "fprintd-enroll" in the terminal throws "command not found".

* Re: Fingerprint Service
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-05-16  8:08 ` Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2019-05-16  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix

>> Instead, it’s supposed to be started on demand when applications ask for
>> the fingerprint service. The ‘fprintd’ package provides several
>> commands starting with ‘fprintd-’ that should allow you to check whether
>> it’s working.
>
> Got it :-)

Typing "fprintd-" in the terminal throws "command not found".

Regards,
RG.

* Re: Fingerprint Service
@ 2019-05-16 10:37   ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2019-05-16 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raghav Gururajan; +Cc: help-guix

Raghav Gururajan wrote:
>>> After Danny's fix, fprintd just works on my X230T:
>>>
>>> λ fprintd-enroll
>>> Using device /net/reactivated/Fprint/Device/0
>>> Enrolling right-index-finger finger.
>>>
>>> …and the finger print reader lights right up!
>>
>> That's cool! I will try and get back to you. :-)
>
> Typing "λ fprintd-enroll" or "fprintd-enroll" in the terminal
> throws "command not found".

~ λ is my bash prompt :-)

fprintd-* commands are part of the ‘fprintd’ package.  ‘guix
install fprintd’ and try again.

Now, to actually use the reader for ‘authentication’ to existing
services (screen lockers, display managers, prompts…) you'll
probably have to write your own PAM rule.  I haven't tried that.
I've only played with the reader; I'm not sure I have any real use
for it.

Biometrics make terrible passwords.  They're more like the
‘something you have’ of two-factor authentication, but much more
painful to steal — mainly for the owner.

Kind regards,

T G-R

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Fingerprint Service
@ 2019-05-16 10:49   ` Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2019-05-16 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice; +Cc: help-guix

> ~ λ is my bash prompt :-)
>
> fprintd-* commands are part of the ‘fprintd’ package. ‘guix
> install fprintd’ and try again.
>
> Now, to actually use the reader for ‘authentication’ to existing
> services (screen lockers, display managers, prompts…) you'll
> probably have to write your own PAM rule. I haven't tried that.
> I've only played with the reader; I'm not sure I have any real use
> for it.

Ah! So adding 'fprintd-service-type' doesn't add the package 'fprintd' as well?

Should I manually add the package in system profile or user profile? Which is better your in knowledge and experience?

Thanks!

Regards,
RG.

* Re: Fingerprint Service