all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* guix.scm and manifest.scm environment
@ 2024-01-09 14:45 jgart
From: jgart @ 2024-01-09 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi Guixers,

Are the modules that are automatically pulled in to a guix.scm or manifest.scm documented?

Those files are just scheme code but specifications->manifest is available in the global namespace, for example.

What else is there by default?

all best,

jgart

* Re: guix.scm and manifest.scm environment
@ 2024-01-10 10:00 ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2024-01-10 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jgart; +Cc: help-guix

On Tue, Jan 09, 2024 at 02:45:30PM +0000, jgart wrote:
> Hi Guixers,
>
> Are the modules that are automatically pulled in to a guix.scm or manifest.scm documented?
>
> Those files are just scheme code but specifications->manifest is available in the global namespace, for example.
>
> What else is there by default?

IIRC nothing is included by default.

--
Efraim Flashner   <efraim@flashner.co.il>   רנשלפ םירפא

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: guix.scm and manifest.scm environment
@ 2024-01-10 12:18   ` Tomas Volf
From: Tomas Volf @ 2024-01-10 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jgart, help-guix

On 2024-01-10 12:00:05 +0200, Efraim Flashner wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 09, 2024 at 02:45:30PM +0000, jgart wrote:
> > Hi Guixers,
> >
> > Are the modules that are automatically pulled in to a guix.scm or manifest.scm documented?
> >
> > Those files are just scheme code but specifications->manifest is available in the global namespace, for example.
> >
> > What else is there by default?
>
> IIRC nothing is included by default.

I think it is at least (guix profiles).  When I try to work with the
`manifest.scm' file in the REPL, I need to explicitly (use-modules) it, but I do
not have to do it for `guix shell -m manifest.scm'.  Not sure if there are
others.

Have a nice day,
Tomas Volf

--
There are only two hard things in Computer Science:
cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: guix.scm and manifest.scm environment
@ 2024-01-11  3:54 ` Richard Sent
From: Richard Sent @ 2024-01-11  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jgart; +Cc: help-guix

On 2024-01-09 09:45, jgart wrote:
> Hi Guixers,
>
> Are the modules that are automatically pulled in to a guix.scm or
> manifest.scm documented?
>
> Those files are just scheme code but specifications->manifest is
> available in the global namespace, for example.

Note that guix repl manifest.scm will fail due to an unused import. This
is special magic when passing a manifest with -m.

Their presence seems to be from how load-manifest in environment.scm
works. https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/Loading.html.
See that it uses load*, not load, creating a temporary module with the
(guix profiles) and (gnu) modules loaded.

We can confirm this with
(display (module-uses (current-module)))
(force-output)

at the top of the manifest. Everything in those two modules is in scope.
Similarly, since (gnu) re-exports all (gnu ...) public modules (see
gnu.scm), the (gnu packages) module is in scope, so we have
specifications->manifest.

I definitely wouldn't rely on this behavior, but that's my understanding
of it. Didn't notice any documentation.
Richard Sent