all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Live cd/dvd?
@ 2018-04-30  6:01 n0ctilucient
From: n0ctilucient @ 2018-04-30  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix@gnu.org

I'm a newly signed up n00b.  Do you have or plan a cd/dvd?

* Re: Live cd/dvd?
@ 2018-05-01  5:46 ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2018-05-01  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: n0ctilucient; +Cc: help-guix@gnu.org

>:

> I'm a newly signed up n00b.  Do you have or plan a cd/dvd?

Te installation already is mean to be from a cd image
I suppose you mean a live image.

not that I know of, no

* Re: Live cd/dvd?
@ 2018-05-01 10:08 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2018-05-01 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: n0ctilucient; +Cc: help-guix@gnu.org

n0ctilucient <n0ctilucient4projects@protonmail.com> writes:

> I'm a newly signed up n00b.  Do you have or plan a cd/dvd?

The installer image is a live system, but it isn’t very useful for other
purposes than installing the system.

--
Ricardo

* Re: Live cd/dvd?
@ 2018-05-08 21:19   ` Nils Gillmann
From: Nils Gillmann @ 2018-05-08 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: help-guix@gnu.org

Catonano transcribed 1.1K bytes:
> >:
>
> > I'm a newly signed up n00b.  Do you have or plan a cd/dvd?
> >

> Te installation already is mean to be from a cd image
> I suppose you mean a live image.
>
> not that I know of, no

You will be able to build a live-cd from an existing system with the
guix provided tools. Let's say you pick a GNOME-based system as the
configuration you build your system from, then you can build a
(limited) Live CD from that. I've identified a number of limitations
over the years, but for simple usecases the resulting system would
work.

Another option you have right nowm is to download the image (could even
be the qemu image) and install one of the system configurations that
come with it into a virtual machine like qemu.

Our general .iso can be written to a flash disk with 'dd' or even
burned to a CD/DVD (a feature that was introduced some time in the
last 12 months).

* Re: Live cd/dvd?
@ 2018-05-09  9:10     ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2018-05-09  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nils Gillmann; +Cc: help-guix@gnu.org

Nils Gillmann <ng0@n0.is> writes:

> You will be able to build a live-cd from an existing system with the
> guix provided tools. Let's say you pick a GNOME-based system as the
> configuration you build your system from, then you can build a
> (limited) Live CD from that. I've identified a number of limitations
> over the years, but for simple usecases the resulting system would
> work.

Could you please create bug reports for each of those limitations?

--
Ricardo

* Re: Live cd/dvd?
@ 2018-05-09 17:11       ` Nils Gillmann
From: Nils Gillmann @ 2018-05-09 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: help-guix@gnu.org, Nils Gillmann

Ricardo Wurmus transcribed 471 bytes:

> Nils Gillmann <ng0@n0.is> writes:
>
> > You will be able to build a live-cd from an existing system with the
> > guix provided tools. Let's say you pick a GNOME-based system as the
> > configuration you build your system from, then you can build a
> > (limited) Live CD from that. I've identified a number of limitations
> > over the years, but for simple usecases the resulting system would
> > work.
>
> Could you please create bug reports for each of those limitations?
>
> --
> Ricardo

It could take some time. I need to extract those which are suited for Guix.
There's also "issues" I still need to think about more in depth, occasionally
I have (offline) discussions with people about this. For example:
There are operating systems which support booting multiple architectures from
one Live USB, to my knowledge only compatible architectures. The last discussion
happened so long ago that I need to gather sources for that (example OS'?).
etc.

* Re: Live cd/dvd?
@ 2018-05-09 17:43         ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2018-05-09 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nils Gillmann; +Cc: help-guix@gnu.org

Nils Gillmann <ng0@n0.is> writes:

> Ricardo Wurmus transcribed 471 bytes:
>>
>> Nils Gillmann <ng0@n0.is> writes:
>>
>> > You will be able to build a live-cd from an existing system with the
>> > guix provided tools. Let's say you pick a GNOME-based system as the
>> > configuration you build your system from, then you can build a
>> > (limited) Live CD from that. I've identified a number of limitations
>> > over the years, but for simple usecases the resulting system would
>> > work.
>>
>> Could you please create bug reports for each of those limitations?
>>
>> --
>> Ricardo
>>

> It could take some time. I need to extract those which are suited for
> Guix.

Extract?  I don’t understand.  All I’m saying is that it is better to
report bugs than to sit on them and speak vaguely of limitations,
because it is very difficult to act on a comment like that.

Reporting encountered issues as bugs would be helpful for the project.

--
Ricardo