all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Moving packages over to new module
@ 2018-02-22  9:29 Rutger Helling
From: Rutger Helling @ 2018-02-22  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello,

I've added a new (gnu packages emulators) module. As a result a few
existing packages from (gnu packages games) should be moved over.

At first glance, this includes:
desmume
dosbox
emulation-station
higan
mgba
mupen64plus*
nestopia-ue
retroarch

I'm a little unsure about how to handle the existing copyright notices
however. What's the usual procedure for moving packages over?

* Re: Moving packages over to new module
@ 2018-02-22  9:51 ` ng0
From: ng0 @ 2018-02-22  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rutger Helling; +Cc: help-guix

Rutger Helling transcribed 1.1K bytes:
> Hello,
>
> I've added a new (gnu packages emulators) module. As a result a few
> existing packages from (gnu packages games) should be moved over.
>
> At first glance, this includes:
> desmume
> dosbox
> emulation-station
> higan
> mgba
> mupen64plus*
> nestopia-ue
> retroarch
>
> I'm a little unsure about how to handle the existing copyright notices
> however. What's the usual procedure for moving packages over?

The usual procedure to respect the people who contributed to the packages
is to move their copyright lines into the new module.

You can look at the output of git log for the module or use other tools
git provides for this.

--
ng0 :: https://crash.cx
A88C8ADD129828D7EAC02E52E22F9BBFEE348588 :: https://crash.cx/keys/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Moving packages over to new module
@ 2018-02-22  9:57 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2018-02-22  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rutger Helling; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Rutger,

> I've added a new (gnu packages emulators) module. As a result a few
> existing packages from (gnu packages games) should be moved over.
>
> At first glance, this includes:
> desmume
> dosbox
> emulation-station
> higan
> mgba
> mupen64plus*
> nestopia-ue
> retroarch

Looks good to me.

> I'm a little unsure about how to handle the existing copyright notices
> however. What's the usual procedure for moving packages over?

We need to move the copyright notices as well.  For that I usually look
at the git log for the packages that should be moved.  Since we’re using
predictable commit messages this can easily be grep’ed from the git log.

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net

* Re: Moving packages over to new module
@ 2018-02-22 10:43   ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2018-02-22 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: help-guix, Rutger Helling

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 10:57:06AM +0100, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> We need to move the copyright notices as well.  For that I usually look
> at the git log for the packages that should be moved.  Since we’re using
> predictable commit messages this can easily be grep’ed from the git log.

This would require to also look at all the other packages in the module,
to decide whether the copyright notice should be moved or copied.
Maybe "git blame MODULE.scm" could also be helpful in that respect:
If used after the packages have been moved, it shows who has contributed
to the remaining packages.

Andreas

* Re: Moving packages over to new module
@ 2018-02-22 11:33     ` Rutger Helling
From: Rutger Helling @ 2018-02-22 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: help-guix

I ended up using git log --grep=.... and have moved the packages. Using
'git blame' I found that a few copyright lines can be removed from
games.scm now. If a person has only imported a module ((gnu packages
base) for example), should I keep the copyright notice or lose it?

@ 2018-02-22 11:51       ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2018-02-22 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rutger Helling; +Cc: help-guix

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 12:33:22PM +0100, Rutger Helling wrote:
> I ended up using git log --grep=.... and have moved the packages. Using
> 'git blame' I found that a few copyright lines can be removed from
> games.scm now. If a person has only imported a module ((gnu packages
> base) for example), should I keep the copyright notice or lose it?

That is always a good question. I think importing a module is not copy-
rightable, so I would drop the line.

Personally I also do not add my copyright when simply updating a package
(new version and hash), unless more complex changes are required.

Andreas

* Re: Moving packages over to new module
@ 2018-02-22 12:59         ` Rutger Helling
From: Rutger Helling @ 2018-02-22 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: help-guix