all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* recordmydesktop doesn't work with sound.
@ 2016-07-21 19:58 Dmitry Nikolaev
From: Dmitry Nikolaev @ 2016-07-21 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi. I wanted to make a screencast about GuixSD, but recordmydesktop
couldn't record sound. Launching it without parameters gives

Error while opening/configuring soundcard /dev/dsp

Manual page says I could specify sound device

--device SOUND_DEVICE
                  Sound  device(default  hw:0,0  or  /dev/dsp,  depending
on
              whether ALSA or OSS is used).

I've tried both, hw:0,0 and /dev/dsp, none worked.

Meanwhile, I've tried to record my microphone with audacity and succeded,
no configuration requred. By default audacity records from ALSA hw:0,0.

What should I do? Can I solve this issue with JACK, or it wouldn't help
either? Shouldn't recordmydesktop package be recompiled with ALSA support?
I thought it already has it. recordmydesktop is compilled with

(build-system gnu-build-system)

with no options, everything is default.

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/packages/video.scm#n1509

recordmydesktop-0.3.8.1/configure --help has a list of otional features

Optional Features:
  --disable-option-checking  ignore unrecognized --enable/--with options
  --disable-FEATURE       do not include FEATURE (same as
--enable-FEATURE=no)
  --enable-FEATURE[=ARG]  include FEATURE [ARG=yes]
  --disable-dependency-tracking  speeds up one-time build
  --enable-dependency-tracking   do not reject slow dependency extractors
  --enable-oss=yes    compile with OSS(don't check for ALSA)
  --enable-jack=yes    compile with Jack support

As I can see ALSA is a default option. Why doesn't recordmydesktop in
GuixSD doesn't work with my microphone like audacity does?

Dmitry Nikolaev

* Re: recordmydesktop doesn't work with sound.
@ 2016-07-21 20:21 ` Thompson, David
From: Thompson, David @ 2016-07-21 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Nikolaev; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Dmitry,

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 3:58 PM, Dmitry Nikolaev <cameltheman@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi. I wanted to make a screencast about GuixSD, but recordmydesktop couldn't
> record sound.

I don't know the answer to your question, unfortunately, but I wanted
to recommend another tool as a workaround for now: Open Broadcaster
Software.  Install with 'guix package -i obs'.  I like it quite a bit.

- Dave

* Re: recordmydesktop doesn't work with sound.
@ 2016-07-21 20:50   ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2016-07-21 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thompson, David; +Cc: Dmitry Nikolaev, help-guix

> Hi Dmitry,
>
> On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 3:58 PM, Dmitry Nikolaev <cameltheman@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi. I wanted to make a screencast about GuixSD, but recordmydesktop
> couldn't
> > record sound.
>
> I don't know the answer to your question, unfortunately, but I wanted
> to recommend another tool as a workaround for now: Open Broadcaster
> Software.  Install with 'guix package -i obs'.  I like it quite a bit.
>
> - Dave

I second David's suggestion. Even if it worked correctly, RecordMyDesktop
is really unpleasant to use.

When you record something, it needs to "process" your content for a very
long time and such process runs on a single core only

If that goes awry for any reason, you'll have to record again from scratch

Further, last time I used it, it brutally cut the audio of my footage for
no apparent reason.

I'd recommend a tiny Gnome Shell extension called "EasyScreenCast" but I
don't know how that would fare with GuixSD.

If this Open Broadcaster is already available, I'd give it a shot

I'm looking forward to watch your screencast !

* Re: recordmydesktop doesn't work with sound.
@ 2016-07-22 12:50 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-07-22 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Nikolaev; +Cc: help-guix

Hi,

Dmitry Nikolaev <cameltheman@gmail.com> skribis:

> As I can see ALSA is a default option. Why doesn't recordmydesktop in
> GuixSD doesn't work with my microphone like audacity does?

Maybe we need to add ‘alsa-lib’ as a dependency of ‘recordmydesktop’?

Indeed, the build log currently shows:

checking alsa/asoundlib.h usability... no
checking alsa/asoundlib.h presence... no
checking for alsa/asoundlib.h... no

Feel free to send a patch on guix-devel!  :-)

HTH,
Ludo’.

* Re: recordmydesktop doesn't work with sound.
@ 2016-07-24  8:46     ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2016-07-24  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: help-guix, Dmitry Nikolaev

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 10:50:10PM +0200, Catonano wrote:

> > Hi Dmitry,
> >
> > On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 3:58 PM, Dmitry Nikolaev <cameltheman@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > Hi. I wanted to make a screencast about GuixSD, but recordmydesktop
> > couldn't
> > > record sound.
> >
> > I don't know the answer to your question, unfortunately, but I wanted
> > to recommend another tool as a workaround for now: Open Broadcaster
> > Software.  Install with 'guix package -i obs'.  I like it quite a bit.
> >
> > - Dave
> >

> I second David's suggestion. Even if it worked correctly, RecordMyDesktop
> is really unpleasant to use.
>
> When you record something, it needs to "process" your content for a very
> long time and such process runs on a single core only
>
> If that goes awry for any reason, you'll have to record again from scratch
>
> Further, last time I used it, it brutally cut the audio of my footage for
> no apparent reason.
>
> I'd recommend a tiny Gnome Shell extension called "EasyScreenCast" but I
> don't know how that would fare with GuixSD.
>
> If this Open Broadcaster is already available, I'd give it a shot

$ guix package -A obs
obs 0.15.1  out gnu/packages/video.scm:1397:2

> I'm looking forward to watch your screencast !

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: recordmydesktop doesn't work with sound.
@ 2016-07-24 15:34   ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2016-07-24 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Dmitry Nikolaev, help-guix

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 02:50:45PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Dmitry Nikolaev <cameltheman@gmail.com> skribis:
>
> > As I can see ALSA is a default option. Why doesn't recordmydesktop in
> > GuixSD doesn't work with my microphone like audacity does?
>
> Maybe we need to add ‘alsa-lib’ as a dependency of ‘recordmydesktop’?
>
> Indeed, the build log currently shows:

> checking alsa/asoundlib.h usability... no
> checking alsa/asoundlib.h presence... no
> checking for alsa/asoundlib.h... no
>
> Feel free to send a patch on guix-devel!  :-)

Dmitry, let me know if you want to try writing this patch or not. If
not, I'm happy to do it :)

* Re: recordmydesktop doesn't work with sound.
@ 2016-07-25 12:58 Dmitry Nikolaev
From: Dmitry Nikolaev @ 2016-07-25 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thompson, David; +Cc: help-guix

On 21 July 2016 at 23:21, Thompson, David <dthompson2@worcester.edu> wrote:

> I don't know the answer to your question, unfortunately, but I wanted
> to recommend another tool as a workaround for now: Open Broadcaster
> Software.  Install with 'guix package -i obs'.  I like it quite a bit.

obs didn't worked for me:

error: X Error: GLXBadFBConfig
error: Failed to create OpenGL context.
error: Failed to create context!
error: device_create (GL) failed
error: Failed to initialize video:  Unspecified error

Looks like I need better drivers for my Radeon card.

Dmitry

* Re: recordmydesktop doesn't work with sound.
@ 2016-07-25 13:02     ` Dmitry Nikolaev
From: Dmitry Nikolaev @ 2016-07-25 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: help-guix

On 21 July 2016 at 23:50, Catonano <catonano@gmail.com> wrote:

> I second David's suggestion. Even if it worked correctly, RecordMyDesktop
> is really unpleasant to use.

It gives crippled video on my hardware. I've tried --full-shot and --fps
options, none helped.

> When you record something, it needs to "process" your content for a very
> long time and such process runs on a single core only

My laptop is singlecored, not an issue for me.

> I'd recommend a tiny Gnome Shell extension called "EasyScreenCast" but I
> don't know how that would fare with GuixSD.

Doesn't it requires Gnome3? Does GuixSD has it in repository? I would try
it.

Dmitry

* Re: recordmydesktop doesn't work with sound.
@ 2016-07-25 13:05     ` Dmitry Nikolaev
From: Dmitry Nikolaev @ 2016-07-25 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: help-guix

On 24 July 2016 at 18:34, Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> wrote:

> Dmitry, let me know if you want to try writing this patch or not. If
> not, I'm happy to do it :)

Patch is trivial. I would be a good example for my post about writing
patches. Please, let my write a patch and send it.

Dmitry

* Re: recordmydesktop doesn't work with sound.
@ 2016-07-25 15:03       ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2016-07-25 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Nikolaev; +Cc: help-guix

On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 04:05:22PM +0300, Dmitry Nikolaev wrote:
> On 24 July 2016 at 18:34, Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> wrote:
>
> > Dmitry, let me know if you want to try writing this patch or not. If
> > not, I'm happy to do it :)
> >

> Patch is trivial. I would be a good example for my post about writing
> patches. Please, let my write a patch and send it.

Okay, sounds good :)

* Re: recordmydesktop doesn't work with sound.
@ 2016-07-27 20:11 ` Dmitry Nikolaev
From: Dmitry Nikolaev @ 2016-07-27 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

On 21 July 2016 at 22:58, Dmitry Nikolaev <cameltheman@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi. I wanted to make a screencast about GuixSD, but recordmydesktop
> couldn't record sound.

I've found that ffmpeg is a great solution for screencast recording.

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Capture/Desktop

ffmpeg -video_size 1024x768 -framerate 25 -f x11grab -i :0.0+100,200
-f pulse -ac 2 -i default -y output.mkv

Dmitry

* Re: recordmydesktop doesn't work with sound.
@ 2016-07-27 20:21   ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2016-07-27 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Nikolaev; +Cc: help-guix