all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* gcc-toolchain is missing libstdc++.so
@ 2023-05-04 14:46 Christopher Rodriguez
From: Christopher Rodriguez @ 2023-05-04 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bug-guix; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello All,

I noticed today that libstdc++.so.1 (and some others), which used to be
part of gcc:lib, are not included in any of the outputs of the
superceding `gcc-toolchain` package.

Is there another method for getting these needed shared libraries in a
guix system at this point? It's entirely possible I'm missing something.

I am CCing guix-devel@gnu.org per podiki[m]'s request.

Thanks!

--
Christopher Rodriguez

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: gcc-toolchain is missing libstdc++.so
@ 2023-05-04 15:05 ` Christopher Rodriguez
From: Christopher Rodriguez @ 2023-05-04 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Rodriguez; +Cc: 63267, guix-devel

Sorry for the spam; Resending this without the bugs address, but with
the issue's address.

--

@ 2023-05-04 17:33     ` Kaelyn
From: Kaelyn @ 2023-05-04 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kehayias; +Cc: Christopher Rodriguez, 63267, guix-devel

Hi,

> On Thu, May 04, 2023 at 11:05 AM, Christopher Rodriguez wrote:
>
> > Sorry for the spam; Resending this without the bugs address, but with
> > the issue's address.
> >
> > Christopher Rodriguez yewscion@gmail.com writes:
> >
> > > Hello All,
> > >
> > > I noticed today that libstdc++.so.1 (and some others), which used to be
> > > part of gcc:lib, are not included in any of the outputs of the
> > > superceding `gcc-toolchain` package.
> > >
> > > Is there another method for getting these needed shared libraries in a
> > > guix system at this point? It's entirely possible I'm missing something.
> > >
> > > I am CCing guix-devel@gnu.org per podiki[m]'s request.
> > >
> > > Thanks!
>

> Thanks for opening this and cc'ing; this has come up with some
> frequency on IRC, especially recently. In discussing there today, the
> current reasoning is that usually one will just call g++ which knows
> how to find libstdc++. So, gcc-toolchain does not include gcc:lib as
> part of what it makes available.
>
> I think what we (and when this comes up, others) are getting at are
> some edge cases or different use cases where one wants to directly get
> at libstdc++. Previously it was more direct to use gcc:lib; of course
> one still can in code and/or cli with the proper call. For example,
> guix build -e "(@@ (gnu packages gcc) gcc)" will download/build/show
> the lib output of the (hidden) gcc package. Though I'm not sure how to
> select just the lib output here.
>
> My use case currently is in the FHS container where a binary wants to
> find some libraries directly. Previously one would include the gcc:lib
> package output in the guix shell call. Now some of those libraries can
> be found elsewhere, like libgccjit, but libstdc++ seems to be the
> trickier one. Open to other suggestions/workarounds, or thoughts on if
> it is worthwhile to include gcc:lib in the gcc-toolchain package (or
> make a gcc-toolchain:lib output?).

I have similar use cases of FHS containers to run binaries (primarily games). I recently ran into the issue of gcc:lib going away and no output from a visible package providing libstdc++. My current workaround was to implement a replacement for specifications->manifest that could handle packages and '(package "output") pairs in addition to strings, so that I could include `(,(@@ (gnu packages gcc) gcc) "lib") in place of "gcc:lib". Internally it resolves package strings to packages with specification->package, then passes the package and optional output specifier to package->manifest-entry. But I digress a little...

Regarding solutions, I would prefer to have libstdc++ in it's own package or output rather than bundled into gcc-toolchain:out; it feels messy and against the grain of isolating programs in containers if I have to make the gcc and g++ compilers available in the container in order to run a program that needs libstdc++.

Cheers,
Kaelyn

* Re: gcc-toolchain is missing libstdc++.so
@ 2023-05-04 18:14       ` Katherine Cox-Buday
From: Katherine Cox-Buday @ 2023-05-04 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaelyn, John Kehayias; +Cc: Christopher Rodriguez, 63267, guix-devel

On 5/4/23 11:33 AM, Kaelyn wrote:

> Regarding solutions, I would prefer to have libstdc++ in it's own package or output rather than bundled into gcc-toolchain:out; it feels messy and against the grain of isolating programs in containers if I have to make the gcc and g++ compilers available in the container in order to run a program that needs libstdc++.

+1. I recently ran into this as well and went looking for it.

I think a good reason to give libstdc++ its own output is that this
question continually gets asked.

--
Katherine

* Re: gcc-toolchain is missing libstdc++.so
@ 2023-05-04 21:50 John Kehayias
From: John Kehayias @ 2023-05-04 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Katherine Cox-Buday; +Cc: Kaelyn, Christopher Rodriguez, 63267, guix-devel

Hi all,

> I have similar use cases of FHS containers to run binaries (primarily
> games). I recently ran into the issue of gcc:lib going away and no
> output from a visible package providing libstdc++. My current
> workaround was to implement a replacement for specifications->manifest
> that could handle packages and '(package "output") pairs in addition
> to strings, so that I could include `(,(@@ (gnu packages gcc) gcc)
> "lib") in place of "gcc:lib". Internally it resolves package strings
> to packages with specification->package, then passes the package and
> optional output specifier to package->manifest-entry. But I digress a
> little...

Nice little hack Kaelyn, would you mind sharing somewhere? I wonder if
this should be something we should have more easily anyway.

On Thu, May 04, 2023 at 12:14 PM, Katherine Cox-Buday wrote:

> On 5/4/23 11:33 AM, Kaelyn wrote:
>
>> Regarding solutions, I would prefer to have libstdc++ in it's own
>> package or output rather than bundled into gcc-toolchain:out; it
>> feels messy and against the grain of isolating programs in
>> containers if I have to make the gcc and g++ compilers available in
>> the container in order to run a program that needs libstdc++.
>
> +1. I recently ran into this as well and went looking for it.
>
> I think a good reason to give libstdc++ its own output is that this
> question continually gets asked.

That sounds reasonable to me as well. I would think the make-libstdc++
procedure would work for this, but as I detailed in my other message,
I'm not sure why it seems to be missing symbols. We would have just
what we need there and could just expose some public package versions
through that or leave it similar to how it is and document (so it is
more of an advanced or edge case scenario and not have more people
going that way when what they really want is the actual gcc-toolchain
package).

John

* Re: gcc-toolchain is missing libstdc++.so
@ 2023-05-04 23:45 ` Kaelyn
From: Kaelyn @ 2023-05-04 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kehayias; +Cc: 63267, guix-devel

> > I have similar use cases of FHS containers to run binaries (primarily
> > games). I recently ran into the issue of gcc:lib going away and no
> > output from a visible package providing libstdc++. My current
> > workaround was to implement a replacement for specifications->manifest
> > that could handle packages and '(package "output") pairs in addition
> > to strings, so that I could include `(,(@@ (gnu packages gcc) gcc)
> > "lib") in place of "gcc:lib". Internally it resolves package strings
> > to packages with specification->package, then passes the package and
> > optional output specifier to package->manifest-entry. But I digress a
> > little...
>

> Nice little hack Kaelyn, would you mind sharing somewhere? I wonder if
> this should be something we should have more easily anyway.

I wasn't sure the best place to share it, so I've attached my "run" script for running the binary download of PolyMC in a container. It is both a shell script and a guix package manifest, and is the one place so far I've worked around the removal of gcc:lib. The main program-specific bits are what CMD defaults to and which packages need to be included (most of the various shares are to get things like hardware 3D, pulseaudio, and dbus working and aren't all always needed). It also contains the original manifest commented-out for comparison. Hope it can be of help to folks!

Cheers,
Kaelyn

[-- Attachment #2: run --]

#!/bin/sh
: ${CMD:=./PolyMC}
if [ $# -gt 0 ] ; then
    CMD="$@"
fi

test -d home/ || mkdir home
set -ex

exec guix shell -C -F -N -E ^DISPLAY --share="$PWD/home=$HOME" --share="$PWD" \
     --expose=/dev/snd --expose=/etc/asound.conf --expose=/etc/machine-id \
     --expose=/dev/dri --expose=/dev/input --expose=/sys/class/input \
     --expose=/sys/dev --expose=/sys/devices --expose=/var/run/dbus \
     --share=/dev/shm --share=$HOME/.config/pulse --share=$HOME/.Xauthority \
     --share=/run/user/$UID/pulse --share=/run/user/$UID/pulse=/var/run/pulse \
     -m "$0" --pure -- env LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib ${CMD}
!#

(use-modules (gnu))

;; (specifications->manifest
;;  '("bash" ; always required
;;    "coreutils" ; always required
;;    "glibc" ; always required

;;    "gcc:lib"
;;    "qtbase@5.15"
;;    "qtcharts@5.15"
;;    "zlib"
;;    "glfw"
;;    "nss-certs"
;;    "openal"
;;    "openjdk@18"
;;    "pulseaudio"
;;    "unrar"
;;    "unzip"
;;    "zip"))

(manifest
 (map (lambda (spec)
        (apply package->manifest-entry
               (cond
                ((pair? spec) (let ((pkg (car spec))
                                    (output (cadr spec)))
                                (list
                                 (if (string? pkg)
                                     (specification->package pkg)
                                     pkg)
                                 output)))
                ((string? spec) (list (specification->package spec)))
                (else (list spec)))))
      `("bash" ; always required
        "coreutils" ; always required
        "glibc" ; always required

        (,(@@ (gnu packages gcc) gcc) "lib")
        "qtbase@5.15"
        "qtcharts@5.15"
        "zlib"
        "glfw"
        "nss-certs"
        "openal"
        "openjdk@18"
        "pulseaudio"
        "unrar"
        "unzip"
        "zip")))

* Re: gcc-toolchain is missing libstdc++.so
@ 2023-05-05 20:59   ` John Kehayias
From: John Kehayias @ 2023-05-05 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaelyn; +Cc: 63267, guix-devel

Hi Kaelyn,

On Thu, May 04, 2023 at 11:45 PM, Kaelyn wrote:

> [...]

Thanks, that's a nice little hack! Just something very minor I
noticed, but you don't need to specify glibc directly for the -F (FHS)
option in guix shell, as it will automatically include the (modified)
glibc.

This topic came up again on IRC today and GNUtoo had the correct cli
invocation for getting at gcc:lib. I thought I had tried something
similar but must have missed something, or else didn't notice that
this will only work for guix shell, as guix build doesn't take outputs
in the package list:

guix shell  -e $'(list (@@ (gnu packages gcc) gcc) "lib")'

Thanks to both of you I have some options for workarounds currently,
but based on how this topic keeps coming up I still think we should
have a more straightforward option.

John

* Re: gcc-toolchain is missing libstdc++.so
@ 2023-05-05 23:59     ` Kaelyn
From: Kaelyn @ 2023-05-05 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kehayias; +Cc: 63267, guix-devel

> On Thu, May 04, 2023 at 11:45 PM, Kaelyn wrote:

Thanks! A small side note: I have glibc in there mainly so ldd is available for debugging problems or getting new binaries working (I think the comment with it is a remnant of an older version of the manifest from before "-F" was added to "guix shell").

Cheers,
Kaelyn

* bug#63267: gcc-toolchain is missing libstdc++.so
@ 2023-05-08  8:41       ` Josselin Poiret via Bug reports for GNU Guix
From: Josselin Poiret via Bug reports for GNU Guix @ 2023-05-08  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaelyn, John Kehayias; +Cc: guix-devel, 63267