all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm or my-config.scm
@ 2019-05-08 18:54 sirgazil
From: sirgazil @ 2019-05-08 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi,

I'm reading the Guix manual, and I'm confused about the recommended way to reconfigure the system.

The workaround added recently to the "Graphical Installation" section suggests that in a freshly installed system you can:¹

    $ sudo emacs /etc/config.scm
    Modify the file to your liking
    $ guix pull && sudo guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm

But the "System Configuration" section seems to recommend against touching files in "/etc". The "Instantiating the System" subsection talks about running ²

    $ guix system reconfigure my-system-config.scm

This subsection also reads:

    The normal way to change the system configuration is by updating this
    file and re-running ‘guix system reconfigure’.  One should never have to
    touch files in ‘/etc’ or to run commands that modify the system state
    such as ‘useradd’ or ‘grub-install’.  In fact, you must avoid that since
    that would not only void your warranty but also prevent you from rolling
    back to previous versions of your system, should you ever need to.

So, should one do the following instead?

    $ emacs ~/path/to/my-config.scm
    Modify the file to your liking
    $ guix pull && sudo guix system reconfigure ~/path/to/my-config.scm

Footnotes:

1. https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Guided-Graphical-Installation.html#Guided-Graphical-Installation
2. https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Using-the-Configuration-System.html#Instantiating-the-System

---
https://sirgazil.bitbucket.io/

* Re: guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm or my-config.scm
@ 2019-05-08 19:16 ` John Soo
From: John Soo @ 2019-05-08 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sirgazil; +Cc: help-guix

Hi there,

I do exactly what you said:

$ emacs /path/to/my/config.scm
$ sudo suix system reconfigure /path/to/my/config.scm

No need to keep it in /etc.

Hope that helps,

John

@ 2019-05-08 19:18 ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2019-05-08 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hiya Sirgazil,

sirgazil wrote:
> So, should one do the following instead?
>
>     $ emacs ~/path/to/my-config.scm
>     Modify the file to your liking
>     $ guix pull && sudo guix system reconfigure
>     ~/path/to/my-config.scm

Oh, it doesn't matter.

This file can be whatever and wherever you want it to be (mine's
/etc/guix/system.scm because eww ‘config’).  It's in /etc by
default since that's where most people will expect it and it's the
Unixly-correct place to put system-wide configuration files, and
this is the mother of all system-wide configuration files :-)

Now, to be blunt, I don't think

  “The normal way to change the system configuration is by
  updating this
   file and re-running ‘guix system reconfigure’.  One should
   never have
   to touch files in ‘/etc’[.]”

can reasonably be read as self-contradictory, but if you want to
add an ‘other’ at the end I don't think anyone will object!

Kind regards,

T G-R

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm or my-config.scm
@ 2019-05-09  0:46   ` sirgazil
From: sirgazil @ 2019-05-09  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Soo; +Cc: help-guix

---- On Wed, 08 May 2019 14:16:55 -0500 John Soo <jsoo1@asu.edu> wrote ----

 > Hi there,
 >
 > I do exactly what you said:
 >
 > $ emacs /path/to/my/config.scm
 > $ sudo suix system reconfigure /path/to/my/config.scm
 >
 > No need to keep it in /etc.
 >
 > Hope that helps,

Yes, thanks :)

* Re: guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm or my-config.scm
@ 2019-05-09  0:50   ` sirgazil
From: sirgazil @ 2019-05-09  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice; +Cc: help-guix

---- On Wed, 08 May 2019 14:18:33 -0500 Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr> wrote ----

 > Hiya Sirgazil,
 >
 > sirgazil wrote:
 > > So, should one do the following instead?
 > >
 > >     $ emacs ~/path/to/my-config.scm
 > >     Modify the file to your liking
 > >     $ guix pull && sudo guix system reconfigure
 > >     ~/path/to/my-config.scm
 >
 > Oh, it doesn't matter.
 >
 > This file can be whatever and wherever you want it to be (mine's
 > /etc/guix/system.scm because eww ‘config’).  It's in /etc by
 > default since that's where most people will expect it and it's the
 > Unixly-correct place to put system-wide configuration files, and
 > this is the mother of all system-wide configuration files :-)
 >
 > Now, to be blunt, I don't think
 >
 >  “The normal way to change the system configuration is by
 >  updating this
 >  file and re-running ‘guix system reconfigure’.  One should
 >  never have
 >  to touch files in ‘/etc’[.]”
 >
 > can reasonably be read as self-contradictory, but if you want to
 > add an ‘other’ at the end I don't think anyone will object!

Thanks for your help, Tobias :)