all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* nautilus-admin
@ 2023-04-12 14:38 Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2023-04-12 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 544 bytes --]

Hi,

I have constantly problems to copy something to my external harddrive,
because it needs root rights.
I can do it only in the commandline, which gives me a lot of trouble,
e.g. when I want to copy all directories at once.
I don’t know the command for it.

In "nautilus" Gnome there is an extension "nautilus-admin" which allows
users to use root rights in the GUI using nautilus.
But this package "nautilus-admin" is not packed in guix.

Could somebody pack it for Guix?
I can’t do that.

Kind regards

Gottfried

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: OpenPGP public key --]

* Re: nautilus-admin
@ 2023-04-12 14:41 ` (
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: ( @ 2023-04-12 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gottfried; +Cc: help-guix

Hi,

Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> writes:
> [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
> Hi,
>
> I have constantly problems to copy something to my external harddrive, because
> it needs root rights.
> I can do it only in the commandline, which gives me a lot of trouble, e.g. when
> I want to copy all directories at once.
> I don’t know the command for it.

What do you mean, specifically, by "copying all directories at once"?
If you mean copying everything in a specific directory, you could try:

  sudo cp ORIGINAL-DIRECTORY/* HARDDRIVE-DIRECTORY

This command uses a /wildcard/, *, which expands the word
'ORIGINAL-DIRECTORY' to multiple words, one for each member of
'ORIGINAL-DIRECTORY'.

If you mean copying multiple directories, just do:

  sudo cp DIRECTORY-1 DIRECTORY-2 DIRECTORY-3 HARDDRIVE-DIRECTORY

Commands aren't as scary as they seem from afar.  I'd highly recommend
you take the time to learn about them :)

* Re: nautilus-admin
@ 2023-04-12 14:54   ` Wojtek Kosior via
From: Wojtek Kosior via @ 2023-04-12 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: (; +Cc: Gottfried, help-guix

> If you mean copying multiple directories, just do:
>
>   sudo cp DIRECTORY-1 DIRECTORY-2 DIRECTORY-3 HARDDRIVE-DIRECTORY

Also, add the `-r` flag to `cp` when copying directories. Without this
flag, this command will refuse to include the contents of source
directories in the copy being made.

It'll look like

    sudo cp -r DIRECTORY-1 DIRECTORY-2 DIRECTORY-3 HARDDRIVE-DIRECTORY

Wojtek

P.S. Good luck finding a packager for nautilus-admin. Unfortunately, I
cannot do this

-- (sig_start)
website: https://koszko.org/koszko.html
PGP: https://koszko.org/key.gpg
fingerprint: E972 7060 E3C5 637C 8A4F  4B42 4BC5 221C 5A79 FD1A

♥ R29kIGlzIHRoZXJlIGFuZCBsb3ZlcyBtZQ== | ÷ c2luIHNlcGFyYXRlZCBtZSBmcm9tIEhpbQ==
✝ YnV0IEplc3VzIGRpZWQgdG8gc2F2ZSBtZQ== | ? U2hhbGwgSSBiZWNvbWUgSGlzIGZyaWVuZD8=
-- (sig_end)

@ 2023-04-12 15:27   ` Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2023-04-12 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: (; +Cc: help-guix

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1831 bytes --]

Hi,

I mean to copy everything, all directories and files including all
sub-directories (which are 40 directories and 40 files) on the external
harddrive /SD-Card to an other external hard drive

> If you mean copying multiple directories, just do:
>>
>>    sudo cp DIRECTORY-1 DIRECTORY-2 DIRECTORY-3 HARDDRIVE-DIRECTORY

I don’t want to write every of the 40 directories and of the 40 files by
hand but think
there is a command to copy all at once.

I was looking on the internet for this,
but didn’t find any command.

> Commands aren't as scary as they seem from afar.  I'd highly recommend
>> you take the time to learn about them :)

I have a book about Terminal commands,
but there I couldn’t find what I need.

Kind regards

Gottfried

--

@ 2023-04-13  4:06     ` carl hansen
From: carl hansen @ 2023-04-13  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gottfried; +Cc: (, help-guix

cp -a   somedir/   wheresomedirshouldgo/
-a  "archive" means
Recursive
create links
preserve times, ownership

On Wed, Apr 12, 2023 at 8:28 AM Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I mean to copy everything, all directories and files including all
> sub-directories (which are 40 directories and 40 files) on the external
> harddrive /SD-Card to an other external hard drive
>
> > If you mean copying multiple directories, just do:
> >>
> >>    sudo cp DIRECTORY-1 DIRECTORY-2 DIRECTORY-3 HARDDRIVE-DIRECTORY
>

> I don’t want to write every of the 40 directories and of the 40 files by
> hand but think
> there is a command to copy all at once.
>
> I was looking on the internet for this,
> but didn’t find any command.
>
> > Commands aren't as scary as they seem from afar.  I'd highly recommend
> >> you take the time to learn about them :)
>
> I have a book about Terminal commands,
> but there I couldn’t find what I need.
>

> Kind regards
>
> Gottfried
>

> Am 12.04.23 um 16:41 schrieb (:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> writes:
> >> [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have constantly problems to copy something to my external harddrive, because
> >> it needs root rights.
> >> I can do it only in the commandline, which gives me a lot of trouble, e.g. when
> >> I want to copy all directories at once.
> >> I don’t know the command for it.
> >
> > What do you mean, specifically, by "copying all directories at once"?
> > If you mean copying everything in a specific directory, you could try:
> >
> >    sudo cp ORIGINAL-DIRECTORY/* HARDDRIVE-DIRECTORY
> >
> > This command uses a /wildcard/, *, which expands the word
> > 'ORIGINAL-DIRECTORY' to multiple words, one for each member of
> > 'ORIGINAL-DIRECTORY'.
> >
> > If you mean copying multiple directories, just do:
> >
> >    sudo cp DIRECTORY-1 DIRECTORY-2 DIRECTORY-3 HARDDRIVE-DIRECTORY
> >
> > Commands aren't as scary as they seem from afar.  I'd highly recommend
> > you take the time to learn about them :)
>
> --

* Re: nautilus-admin
@ 2023-04-13  4:19 ` Felix Lechner via
       [not found] ` <a154649c-8cc6-4918-8ecf-8edfba209379@trilingual.eu>
From: Felix Lechner via @ 2023-04-13  4:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gottfried; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Gottfried,

On Wed, Apr 12, 2023 at 7:38 AM Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> wrote:

> I have constantly problems to copy something to my external harddrive,
> because it needs root rights.

Mounting hard drives is generally a privileged operation, but a lot of
people use external storage. I believe Gnome can make such storage
available to a user who is logged in. Have you looked into gvfs? [1]

FUSE stands for "file system in user space." [2]

Kind regards
Felix Lechner

[1] https://access.redhat.com/documentation/kn-in/red_hat_enterprise_linux/9/html/administering_the_system_using_the_gnome_desktop_environment/managing-storage-volumes-in-gnome_administering-the-system-using-the-gnome-desktop-environment
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_in_Userspace

* Re: nautilus-admin
@ 2023-04-13  6:51 ` Marek Paśnikowski
       [not found] ` <a154649c-8cc6-4918-8ecf-8edfba209379@trilingual.eu>
From: Marek Paśnikowski @ 2023-04-13  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gottfried; +Cc: help-guix

Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de>:

> I have constantly problems to copy something to my external harddrive,
> because it needs root rights.

It needs root rights because of wrong permissions set to the root of the external drive.

$ sudo chmod 666 /mnt/drive # should allow you to effortlessly perform future transfers

I also suggest to check ownerships of the existing folders - there is a chance they belong to root now.

* Re: nautilus-admin
@ 2023-04-13 15:24   ` Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2023-04-13 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felix Lechner; +Cc: help-guix

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1562 bytes --]

Hi,
thanks for help.

I tried to open the network and connect to the external harddisk via
USB-port but I can’t change the options for Zugriffsrechte/rights for it.
So I can’t create a directory on the ext.harddrive.

May be there is a package missing.
I am using MATE desktop.

I don’t know how to use gvfs.
bash says gvfs is not found.

Then I installed gvfs
but still
bash says gvfs is not found.
I don’t know how to include it into PATH.

If I enter networking I can open with the file manager the external
harddrive, but still I can not create a new directory

I don’t know enough about networking.

Kind regards

Gottfried

@ 2023-04-13 15:26   ` Gottfried