unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org 
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* Guix system with home-environment
@ 2021-11-02 11:38 phodina via
  2021-11-03  7:35 ` Andrew Tropin
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: phodina via @ 2021-11-02 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix; +Cc: andrew

Hi,

I just want to ask if it's possible to create an image which has both the operating-system and home-environment configuration together.

Currently the way to build them is to do:

;; Guix System
guix system build os.scm

;; Guix Home
guix home build home.scm

However, if I want to build and test a VM, I'm missing the home environment.

Would it be the correct way to add additional record to user-account definition, which would instantiate the home-environment for the particular user?

Or is there another way how to do that?

Petr

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: Guix system with home-environment
  2021-11-02 11:38 Guix system with home-environment phodina via
@ 2021-11-03  7:35 ` Andrew Tropin
  2021-11-08  6:52   ` phodina
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Andrew Tropin @ 2021-11-03  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: phodina, help-guix

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1147 bytes --]

On 2021-11-02 11:38, phodina wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just want to ask if it's possible to create an image which has both the operating-system and home-environment configuration together.
>
> Currently the way to build them is to do:
>
> ;; Guix System
> guix system build os.scm
>
> ;; Guix Home
> guix home build home.scm
>
> However, if I want to build and test a VM, I'm missing the home environment.
>
> Would it be the correct way to add additional record to user-account definition, which would instantiate the home-environment for the particular user?
>
> Or is there another way how to do that?
>
> Petr

Hi again!)

I have a plan to have a system service, which accepts list of pairs of
user name and home-environment and instantiates home environments for
these users during `guix system reconfigure`, but the task has a low
priority right now.  You can try to implement it yourself and send a
patch for review or can wait until someone will do it.

P.S. It doesn't have to be a separate service, maybe extending some
existing record with additional field will also work.

-- 
Best regards,
Andrew Tropin

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 832 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: Guix system with home-environment
  2021-11-03  7:35 ` Andrew Tropin
@ 2021-11-08  6:52   ` phodina
  2021-11-08  8:40     ` Andrew Tropin
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: phodina @ 2021-11-08  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Tropin; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Andrew,

On Wednesday, November 3rd, 2021 at 8:35 AM, Andrew Tropin <andrew@trop.in> wrote:

> On 2021-11-02 11:38, phodina wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just want to ask if it's possible to create an image which has both the operating-system and home-environment configuration together.
> >
> > Currently the way to build them is to do:
> >
> > ;; Guix System
> >
> > guix system build os.scm
> >
> > ;; Guix Home
> >
> > guix home build home.scm
> >
> > However, if I want to build and test a VM, I'm missing the home environment.
> >
> > Would it be the correct way to add additional record to user-account definition, which would instantiate the home-environment for the particular user?
> >
> > Or is there another way how to do that?
> >
> > Petr
>
> Hi again!)
>
> I have a plan to have a system service, which accepts list of pairs of
>
> user name and home-environment and instantiates home environments for
>
> these users during `guix system reconfigure`, but the task has a low
>
> priority right now. You can try to implement it yourself and send a
>
> patch for review or can wait until someone will do it.
>
> P.S. It doesn't have to be a separate service, maybe extending some
>
> existing record with additional field will also work.
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Best regards,
>
> Andrew Tropin

I was exactly thinking of a record in the operating system for list of pairs (user and home-environment) as you suggest.

Though then it hit me - it's already there in user accounts.

Therefore why introduce complexity and not just modify them by one record for each user set by default to false.

Sure it's major modification but in order to get the functionality it will have to modify either users or operating-system (or another field within).

I understand it's low priority, I just wanted your opinion on this matter.

I'll look into that and try to come up with some implementation.

Petr


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: Guix system with home-environment
  2021-11-08  6:52   ` phodina
@ 2021-11-08  8:40     ` Andrew Tropin
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 4+ messages in thread
From: Andrew Tropin @ 2021-11-08  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: phodina; +Cc: help-guix

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 2903 bytes --]

On 2021-11-08 06:52, phodina@protonmail.com wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> On Wednesday, November 3rd, 2021 at 8:35 AM, Andrew Tropin <andrew@trop.in> wrote:
>
>> On 2021-11-02 11:38, phodina wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I just want to ask if it's possible to create an image which has both the operating-system and home-environment configuration together.
>> >
>> > Currently the way to build them is to do:
>> >
>> > ;; Guix System
>> >
>> > guix system build os.scm
>> >
>> > ;; Guix Home
>> >
>> > guix home build home.scm
>> >
>> > However, if I want to build and test a VM, I'm missing the home environment.
>> >
>> > Would it be the correct way to add additional record to user-account definition, which would instantiate the home-environment for the particular user?
>> >
>> > Or is there another way how to do that?
>> >
>> > Petr
>>
>> Hi again!)
>>
>> I have a plan to have a system service, which accepts list of pairs of
>>
>> user name and home-environment and instantiates home environments for
>>
>> these users during `guix system reconfigure`, but the task has a low
>>
>> priority right now. You can try to implement it yourself and send a
>>
>> patch for review or can wait until someone will do it.
>>
>> P.S. It doesn't have to be a separate service, maybe extending some
>>
>> existing record with additional field will also work.
>>
>> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Andrew Tropin
>
> I was exactly thinking of a record in the operating system for list of pairs (user and home-environment) as you suggest.
>
> Though then it hit me - it's already there in user accounts.
>
> Therefore why introduce complexity and not just modify them by one record for each user set by default to false.
>
> Sure it's major modification but in order to get the functionality it will have to modify either users or operating-system (or another field within).
>
> I understand it's low priority, I just wanted your opinion on this matter.
>
> I'll look into that and try to come up with some implementation.
>
> Petr

Sure, it's very useful feature IMO and I think about it almost since the
beginning of Guix Home project, just didn't have a chance to get my
hands dirty with it yet, so I would be very glad if you would work on
it.  I will be busy for a few next days, but after that I can join
development/review process.

-- 
Best regards,
Andrew Tropin

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 832 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2021-11-08  8:48 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 4+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2021-11-02 11:38 Guix system with home-environment phodina via
2021-11-03  7:35 ` Andrew Tropin
2021-11-08  6:52   ` phodina
2021-11-08  8:40     ` Andrew Tropin

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).