unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* attempt to create a profile
@ 2022-12-28 15:09 Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2022-12-28 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Csepp, Wojtek Kosior, help-guix

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 756 bytes --]

Hi,

Which commands can I use to enter and close my new profile?

So if I use my normal profile, and want to switch briefly to my new made
profile and come back to my normal profile?

...and also at start up that I can choose which profile to open?
(or will this be automatically set up through creating a new profile?)

I wanted to create a profile:

guix package --profile=/home/gfp/projects/musescore-3.6.2.guix-profile

and beforehand I created the directory "projects" and
"Musescore-3.6.2" in the directory "projects"
in my /home/gfp/ directory
(I did that because it said: "
file or directory was not found"

but it didn't work.
"warning: nothing to do" was the answer.

Where was my mistake?

Kind regards

Gottfried

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: OpenPGP public key --]

* Re: attempt to create a profile
@ 2023-01-06 15:45 ` Simon Tournier
From: Simon Tournier @ 2023-01-06 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gottfried, Csepp, Wojtek Kosior, help-guix

Hi,

On Wed, 28 Dec 2022 at 15:09, Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> wrote:

> Which commands can I use to enter and close my new profile?

To enter, you just need to ’source path/to/some-profile/etc/profile’.

However, you cannot “deactivacte“; unset the environment variables and
restore the previous ones.  Maybe, the easiest is:

   bash
   source path/to/some-profile/etc/profile
   …do some stuff…
   exit

Instead, you can run

    guix shell -p path/to/some-profile/etc/profile
    …do some stuff…
    exit

which does the same thing as above.

> ...and also at start up that I can choose which profile to open?

What do you mean by “choose”?

> guix package --profile=/home/gfp/projects/musescore-3.6.2.guix-profile
>
> and beforehand I created the directory "projects" and
> "Musescore-3.6.2" in the directory "projects"
> in my /home/gfp/ directory
> (I did that because it said: "
> file or directory was not found"
>
> but it didn't work.
> "warning: nothing to do" was the answer.
>
> Where was my mistake?

It is missing the option -i (or -m).  For instance,

    guix package -i musescore -p projects/musescore-3.6.2.guix-profile

Cheers,
simon

* Re: attempt to create a profile
       [not found] <mailman.95.1673024475.17576.help-guix@gnu.org>
@ 2023-01-08  9:21 ` Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2023-01-08  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 2448 bytes --]

Hi Simon,

>  ...and also at start up that I can choose which profile to open?
>>
>> What do you mean by “choose”?

I meant when I am starting Guix, I can choose to use MATE desktop or
Enlightenment Desktop.
If there is also the option to choose a certain profile, in case I have
more profils.

When I have choosen MATE desktop,
which profile opens?

I am worried, that, if I create a profile with only one package
"musescore" in it,
and if that opens, or after creating that profile,
I can't switch to my main profile.

So before creating a profile with only one package musecore in it
I want to be sure how I can switch to that profile and how I can choose
my other, my main profile.

Kind regards

Gottfried

@ 2023-01-08 10:52   ` Csepp
From: Csepp @ 2023-01-08 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gottfried; +Cc: help-guix

Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> writes:

> [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
> Hi Simon,
>

>>  ...and also at start up that I can choose which profile to open?
>>> What do you mean by “choose”?
>>>

> I meant when I am starting Guix, I can choose to use MATE desktop or
> Enlightenment Desktop.
> If there is also the option to choose a certain profile, in case I
> have more profils.

There is not, you don't have to worry.  Desktop environments are
unrelated to profiles.

* Re: attempt to create a profile
@ 2023-01-09 15:59   ` Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2023-01-09 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Tournier, Csepp, help-guix

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1679 bytes --]

Hi,

can I use two profiles at the same time?

When I have my main profile, additionally to open a second profile to
use the package in there?
Or do I have to switch from one profile to the other and then switch back?
  I am still unsure how it works.

  Kind regards

Gottfried

--

@ 2023-01-11 16:55   ` Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2023-01-11 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Tournier, help-guix

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 2465 bytes --]

to create my "Musescore-3.6.2" Profile

I would have to:

guix package -i musescore-3.6.2 -p projects/musescore-3.6.2.guix-profile

(because I have got the directory: /home/gfp/profile/Musescore-3.6.2
and I am already in my /home/gfp/ directory)

then load it:    export GUIX_PROFILE=/projects/Musescore-3.6.2

		 source "${GUIX_PROFILE}/etc/profile"

to enter my Musescore profile I have to:

source /home/gfp/profile/Musescore-3.6.2/

...do some stuff...
exit  (in the terminal, which I leave open during visiting the profile
Musescore)

Am I through "exit" automatically in my normal profile?
  or do I have to enter through:

source .guix-profile/etc/profile

(because that is my main profile and I am already in /home/gfp/ directory)?
I want to be 100 % sure that’s why I am asking

thanks for help

--

@ 2023-01-11 21:27     ` Simon Tournier
From: Simon Tournier @ 2023-01-11 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gottfried, Csepp, help-guix

Hi,

On Mon, 09 Jan 2023 at 15:59, Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> wrote:

> can I use two profiles at the same time?

Yes.  Although note that it depends on what they contain: package One
from profile A can be exclusive with package Two from profile B.

Therefore, combining profile A and B to create on the fly a new profile
containing both the packages One and Two can lead to issues if packages
One and Two are incompatible; aside potential issues with incompatible
propagated-inputs.

Does it make sense?

> When I have my main profile, additionally to open a second profile to
> use the package in there?

For instance, I have ~/.guix-profile containing few things and then many
other profile living in ~/.config/guix/profiles/; one for Emacs, one for
compilers, one for TeX, one for various applications, etc.

> Or do I have to switch from one profile to the other and then switch back?

For switching, as said earlier in this thread, there is various options.

>   I am still unsure how it works.

Maybe you might be interested by
<https://guix.gnu.org/cookbook/en/guix-cookbook.html#Guix-Profiles-in-Practice>

Cheers,
simon

* Re: attempt to create a profile
@ 2023-02-04 23:36   ` Kyle Andrews
From: Kyle Andrews @ 2023-02-04 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Tournier; +Cc: Gottfried, Csepp, Wojtek Kosior, help-guix

Simon Tournier <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 28 Dec 2022 at 15:09, Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> wrote:
>
>> Which commands can I use to enter and close my new profile?
>
> To enter, you just need to ’source path/to/some-profile/etc/profile’.
>
> However, you cannot “deactivacte“; unset the environment variables and
> restore the previous ones.  Maybe, the easiest is:
>
>    bash
>    source path/to/some-profile/etc/profile
>    …do some stuff…
>    exit
>
> Instead, you can run
>
>     guix shell -p path/to/some-profile/etc/profile
>     …do some stuff…
>     exit
>
> which does the same thing as above.
>

>> ...and also at start up that I can choose which profile to open?
>
> What do you mean by “choose”?
>

>> guix package --profile=/home/gfp/projects/musescore-3.6.2.guix-profile
>>
>> and beforehand I created the directory "projects" and
>> "Musescore-3.6.2" in the directory "projects"
>> in my /home/gfp/ directory
>> (I did that because it said: "
>> file or directory was not found"
>>
>> but it didn't work.
>> "warning: nothing to do" was the answer.
>>
>> Where was my mistake?
>
> It is missing the option -i (or -m).  For instance,
>
>     guix package -i musescore -p projects/musescore-3.6.2.guix-profile
>

> Cheers,
> simon

Thank you Gottfried for asking this question and thank you Simon for
providing these examples.

I didn't realize I could use guix shell with an already installed and
named profile. This suggests a follow-up question:

Is it possible to use guix shell to activate multiple existing profiles
in a particular order to explicitly test for incompatibilities when
combining profiles?

I have been using multiple existing profiles mainly in the hope it would
spare my poor underpowered and aging laptop the burden of having to do a
long system update ordeal all at once. This seemed to me especially
useful when there would be conflicts which would require uninstalling
something and then redoing a lot of work.

However, it has not worked out as well as I could have hoped. For one
thing, I have found Emacs to be quite confused as to whether some
documentation or command completions are available or not. For another
thing, I found that if there was an explicitly recognized problem, it
would usually be related to an issue with package definitions on my
personal channel or in the main Guix channel and I would then have to
run guix pull. After do that operation, I believed I would have to
update everything again anyway. I had just read a discussion on this
forum where it was mentioned that mixing guix executables from different
guix generations would be asking for trouble and that the only way to
make sure things would work correctly was to keep
~/.config/guix/current/bin~ at the front of our PATH. Maybe this is an
example where this issue is relevant?  I have had many issues which I
have reported but these have all turned out to be unreproducible in a
single dedicated profile.

In conclusion, I'm a bit surprised that activating multiple profiles at
once is so easily found and recommended in the cookbook. It seems to me
like there are many underemphasized gotchas with respect to
reproducibility and usability which come from it and as far as I can
tell, the main developers of Guix do not use it that way. If it is going
to be recommended as atleast a possibility for advanced users, then it
would be nice to be able to formally test that usage through ~guix shell~.

* Re: attempt to create a profile
@ 2023-02-06 17:21     ` Simon Tournier
From: Simon Tournier @ 2023-02-06 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Andrews; +Cc: Gottfried, Csepp, Wojtek Kosior, help-guix

Hi,

On sam., 04 févr. 2023 at 23:36, Kyle Andrews <kyle@posteo.net> wrote:

>>     guix shell -p path/to/some-profile/etc/profile

This command is incorrect and it should read instead,

    guix shell -p path/to/some-profile

but anyway, it was the idea. :-)

> Is it possible to use guix shell to activate multiple existing profiles
> in a particular order to explicitly test for incompatibilities when
> combining profiles?

Well, I am not aware about a way to compose some profiles with “guix
shell”.  Indeed, it should be possible, IMHO.  But I have not checked if
it is technically possible.  Maybe it is already. :-)

> In conclusion, I'm a bit surprised that activating multiple profiles at
> once is so easily found and recommended in the cookbook. It seems to me
> like there are many underemphasized gotchas with respect to
> reproducibility and usability which come from it and as far as I can
> tell, the main developers of Guix do not use it that way. If it is going
> to be recommended as atleast a possibility for advanced users, then it
> would be nice to be able to formally test that usage through ~guix shell~.

I am using multiple profiles and I barely hit collisions.  Given one
specific revision of Guix, collisions should not be possible – it means
something is wrong somewhere with package definition; although, maybe it
is impossible to avoid some collisions with large number of packages,
anyway. :-)

Most of the time, collisions happen when the profile are coming from
different revision of Guix.  And try to combine several profiles from
different revision is, IMHO, some source of troubles impossible to
solve.

That’s said, yes I would also like being able to combine several
profiles and also extend the result.

Cheers,
simon

* Re: attempt to create a profile
@ 2023-02-07 10:06       ` Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2023-02-07 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Tournier, Kyle Andrews; +Cc: Csepp, Wojtek Kosior, help-guix

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 2728 bytes --]

Hi Simon,

I didn’t manage yet to get into my profile.
I created a profile with one package "Musescore" in:

home/gfp/Projekte/Musescore

in the directory "Musescore" I have got 2 directories:

"guix-profil" and "guix-profil-1-link"

and

one file:

"guix-profil.lock" (0 Bytes)

I should get into my profile with:

source path/to/some-profile/etc/profile
    …do some stuff…
    exit

Instead, you can run
     guix shell -p path/to/some-profile
     …do some stuff…
     exit

What does it mean in my case?

Kind regards

Gottfried

--

@ 2023-02-07 11:03         ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2023-02-07 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gottfried, Kyle Andrews; +Cc: Csepp, Wojtek Kosior, help-guix

Hi,

On Tue, 07 Feb 2023 at 10:06, Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> wrote:

> I created a profile with one package "Musescore" in:
>
> home/gfp/Projekte/Musescore

[...]

> I should get into my profile with:
>
> source path/to/some-profile/etc/profile
>     …do some stuff…
>     exit
>
> Instead, you can run
>      guix shell -p path/to/some-profile
>      …do some stuff…
>      exit
>
> What does it mean in my case?

It means that you can activate the profile containing the Musescore package using

    source /home/gfp/Projekte/Musescore/etc/profile

or either

    guix shell -p /home/gfp/Projekte/Musescore

Does it make sense?

Cheers,
simon

* Re: attempt to create a profile
@ 2023-02-07 13:33           ` Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2023-02-07 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: Csepp, Wojtek Kosior, help-guix

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1818 bytes --]

Hi Zimoun,

>  What does it mean in my case?
>>
>> It means that you can activate the profile containing the Musescore package using
>>
>>      source /home/gfp/Projekte/Musescore/etc/profile
>>
>> or either
>>
>>      guix shell -p /home/gfp/Projekte/Musescore
>>
>> Does it make sense?

No

This was the output:

gfp@Tuxedo ~$ export LC_ALL=C

gfp@Tuxedo ~$  source /home/gfp/Projekte/Musescore/etc/profile
-bash: /home/gfp/Projekte/Musescore/etc/profile: No such file or directory

gfp@Tuxedo ~$ guix shell -p /home/gfp/Projekte/Musescore
hint: Consider passing the `--check' option once to make sure your shell
does not clobber environment variables.

guix shell: warning: no packages specified; creating an empty environment

gfp@Tuxedo ~ [env]$

What does: [env] mean?

thanks for help

--
Kind regards

Gottfried

@ 2023-02-08  1:25             ` Csepp
From: Csepp @ 2023-02-08  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gottfried; +Cc: zimoun, Csepp, Wojtek Kosior, help-guix

Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> writes:

> [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
> Hi Zimoun,
>
>>  What does it mean in my case?
>>> It means that you can activate the profile containing the Musescore
>>> package using
>>>      source /home/gfp/Projekte/Musescore/etc/profile
>>> or either
>>>      guix shell -p /home/gfp/Projekte/Musescore
>>> Does it make sense?
>
> No
>

> This was the output:
>
> gfp@Tuxedo ~$ export LC_ALL=C
>
> gfp@Tuxedo ~$  source /home/gfp/Projekte/Musescore/etc/profile
> -bash: /home/gfp/Projekte/Musescore/etc/profile: No such file or directory

This should have been:
gfp@Tuxedo ~$  source /home/gfp/Projekte/Musescore/guix-profil/etc/profile

Zimoun left out the guix-profil part.

> gfp@Tuxedo ~$ guix shell -p /home/gfp/Projekte/Musescore

Again, this should be:
gfp@Tuxedo ~$ guix shell -p /home/gfp/Projekte/Musescore/guix-profil

> What does: [env] mean?

It means you are in a guix shell.  In the olden this was called guix
environment, which is where "env" comes from.  Guix has some Bash
customizations built in that make it detect if GUIX_ENVIRONMENT is set
and modifies the shell prompt.

* Re: attempt to create a profile
@ 2023-02-08  9:58               ` Simon Tournier
From: Simon Tournier @ 2023-02-08  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Csepp, Gottfried; +Cc: Csepp, Wojtek Kosior, help-guix

Hi,

On mer., 08 févr. 2023 at 02:25, Csepp <raingloom@riseup.net> wrote:

> Zimoun left out the guix-profil part.

Yes, sorry for having overlooking this part. :-)

Cheers,
simon

* Re: attempt to create a profile
@ 2023-02-09 14:21                 ` Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2023-02-09 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Tournier, Csepp; +Cc: Wojtek Kosior, help-guix

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 409 bytes --]

Hi Simon,

no problem,
can happen to everybody
because every help needs time.
I am happy for your help

Kind regards

Gottfried

--

@ 2023-02-09 14:44               ` Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2023-02-09 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Csepp; +Cc: zimoun, help-guix

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 536 bytes --]

Hi,

thanks for your help.

I tried to open this profile,

by

> gfp@Tuxedo ~$  source /home/gfp/Projekte/Musescore/guix-profil/etc/profile

or

> gfp@Tuxedo ~$ guix shell -p /home/gfp/Projekte/Musescore/guix-profil

but it didn’t happen anything.

How can I know, that I am now in this profile?

Shouldn’t bash show me something?

And when I opened the package "musescore" it opened the package
musescore in my other profile.
So I guess I am not in this profile.

--

@ 2023-02-09 19:20                 ` Csepp
From: Csepp @ 2023-02-09 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gottfried; +Cc: Csepp, zimoun, help-guix

Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> writes:

> [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
> Hi,
>
> thanks for your help.
>
> I tried to open this profile,
>
> by
>
>> gfp@Tuxedo ~$  source /home/gfp/Projekte/Musescore/guix-profil/etc/profile
>>
> or
>
>> gfp@Tuxedo ~$ guix shell -p /home/gfp/Projekte/Musescore/guix-profil
>
> but it didn’t happen anything.

It's normal, it normally doesn't show anything.

> How can I know, that I am now in this profile?
>
> Shouldn’t bash show me something?

If you directly source the etc/profile script, GUIX_PROFILE does not get
defined, so bash doesn't know you loaded a profile.
Which is actually "correct", since sourcing it is not the same as
entering it using guix shell/environment.  Sourcing directly modifies
the running process's environment variables, so exiting bash would not
get you back to a default environment, it would most likely just close
the terminal emulator.  But if you are in a genuine `guix shell`,
running the exit builtin command gets you back to the process where guix
shell was run from.

If you used guix shell then I'm pretty sure it should show someting.
Running `guix shell -p ~/.guix-profile -- bash` does show the [env]
prompt for me, so either your bash is configured differently or your
login shell is not bash.  For example, my login shell is Zsh, which
doesn't have the same customization, I had to add a similar prompt hack
myself.

> And when I opened the package "musescore" it opened the package
> musescore in my other profile.
> So I guess I am not in this profile.

Did you open it from bash or from a desktop app launcher?
The environment variables are only changed locally in the bash process
you ran source from, or the bash process that guix shell spawned.
If you did run it from there and it launched the wrong one, then could
you post the output of

guix package -p /home/gfp/Projekte/Musescore/guix-profil --list-installed

?

Maybe you accidentally mixed up which version is installed in which
profile, it happens.

* Re: attempt to create a profile
@ 2023-02-11 16:20                   ` Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2023-02-11 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Csepp; +Cc: zimoun, help-guix

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 4009 bytes --]

Hi,

I wanted to create a profile with "Musescore 3.6"
but 3 times it failed during building process.

So I had to create the profile with "Musescore 4".

Now I have Musescore 4 in my main profile and in my Musescore profil.

So the problem is now, how do I know when opening "Musescore" which one
will open.
Using the menu it opens "musescore 4" in my main profile
Using an icon it opens "musescore 3.6" the earlier version, which I need
as well.

1.
if I enter "musescore" in my bash
it doesn’t open this package.
Why?
If this profile is open/sourced, it should open this package.
Other packages from my main profile like icecat, gedit, pluma open
immeadiately.

Today, without doing anything
I did a:
guix package -p /home/gfp/Projekte/Musescore/guix-profil

and the outcome was:

gfp@Tuxedo ~$ guix package -p /home/gfp/Projekte/Musescore/guix-profil
--list-installed
musescore	4.0	out	/gnu/store/7iwmb7qf56ybrl0ayzyr3w14h3azdg8p-musescore-4.0
gfp@Tuxedo ~$
This means I was already in this profile, or better to say, both
profiles were open at the same time
without sourcing it today.

This means for me that, when I tried to source this profile earlier,
I opened it, but didn’t manage to close it.

2.
Is it better to close it, or leave several profiles open at the same time?

3.
Is it a problem when both/more profiles are always open?

4.
what does it mean for my bash/MATE terminal?
Shouldn’t I be able to open "musescore" in both profiles?
Is so, what do I have to enter in the bash to open this or that "musescore"

I am hacking on the very basics

Kind regards

Gottfried

--

@ 2023-02-11 17:30                     ` Csepp
From: Csepp @ 2023-02-11 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gottfried; +Cc: Csepp, zimoun, help-guix

Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> writes:

> [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to create a profile with "Musescore 3.6"
> but 3 times it failed during building process.
>
> So I had to create the profile with "Musescore 4".
>
> Now I have Musescore 4 in my main profile and in my Musescore profil.
>
> So the problem is now, how do I know when opening "Musescore" which
> one will open.
> Using the menu it opens "musescore 4" in my main profile
> Using an icon it opens "musescore 3.6" the earlier version, which I
> need as well.
>
> 1.
> if I enter "musescore" in my bash
> it doesn’t open this package.
> Why?
> If this profile is open/sourced, it should open this package.
> Other packages from my main profile like icecat, gedit, pluma open
> immeadiately.

> Today, without doing anything
> I did a:
> guix package -p /home/gfp/Projekte/Musescore/guix-profil
>
> and the outcome was:
>
> gfp@Tuxedo ~$ guix package -p /home/gfp/Projekte/Musescore/guix-profil
> --list-installed
> musescore	4.0	out	/gnu/store/7iwmb7qf56ybrl0ayzyr3w14h3azdg8p-musescore-4.0
> gfp@Tuxedo ~$
> This means I was already in this profile, or better to say, both
> profiles were open at the same time
> without sourcing it today.

It means that that profile has that package installed.
Running the above command does not activate the profile, it just
inspects it.

> This means for me that, when I tried to source this profile earlier,
> I opened it, but didn’t manage to close it.

There is no (easy) way to close a profile if it was sourced.
If you used guix shell to enter it, closing it is as easy as exiting the
shell.

> 2.
> Is it better to close it, or leave several profiles open at the same time?

There is no "better".  It depends on what you are doing.  Also I'm not
sure what you think closing a profile means.  Are you talking about
having multiple profiles opened in the same shell?  Or all the profiles
open in all the shells?
But honestly I don't think you have to worry about this if you only have
one or two profiles in addition to the default user level and system
level ones.
And if you do want to worry: the worst thing that can happen with lots
of profiles open in the same shell is that you get confused about which
package comes from which profile.

> 3.
> Is it a problem when both/more profiles are always open?

If you want them to literally always be open, just merge them with your
default profile, otherwise you are just asking for trouble.
If you mean "often" and not "always", then no, it's just that the mental
overhead increases.

> 4.
> what does it mean for my bash/MATE terminal?
> Shouldn’t I be able to open "musescore" in both profiles?
> Is so, what do I have to enter in the bash to open this or that "musescore"

The terminal emulator does not matter, only the bash process it runs
matters.
If you run the musescore command, its location is looked up in the PATH
environment variable.  The profile that was loaded last "wins".  That's
why I recommend thinking of profiles not so much as being opened and
closed, but as being stacked on top of each other.  Whatever is at the
top of the stack is what bash (and other programs) look at first.
If multiple profiles in your "stack" provide the same command, then the
easiest way to refer to a specific one is by using its path in the
profile:
~/.guix-profile/bin/musescore: this is the one in your default profile
/home/gfp/Projekte/Musescore/guix-profil/bin/musescore: this is the one
in your custom profile

ps.: I'd appreciate if you kept the threads in bottom-reply order,
because it's much harder to refer back to previous messages if you
don't.

* Re: attempt to create a profile
@ 2023-02-12 12:15                       ` Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2023-02-12 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Csepp, help-guix

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 2961 bytes --]

Hi,

> If you used guix shell then I'm pretty sure it should show someting.
> Running `guix shell -p ~/.guix-profile -- bash` does show the [env]
> prompt for me

you are right, this happend

guix shell showed the "env".

> Did you open it from bash or from a desktop app launcher?
> The environment variables are only changed locally in the bash process
> you ran source from, or the bash process that guix shell spawned.
> If you did run it from there and it launched the wrong one, then could
> you post the output of
>
> guix package -p /home/gfp/Projekte/Musescore/guix-profil --list-installed

I opened it from bash and not from a desktop app laucher.
But because both versions of Musescore are the same,(in my general
profile and in my Musescore profile), I didn’t know if I was in the
Musescore profile.

Kind regards

Gottfried

@ 2023-02-14  4:45       ` Kyle Andrews
From: Kyle Andrews @ 2023-02-14  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Tournier, help-guix

Simon Tournier <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> writes:

> I am using multiple profiles and I barely hit collisions.  Given one
> specific revision of Guix, collisions should not be possible – it means
> something is wrong somewhere with package definition; although, maybe it
> is impossible to avoid some collisions with large number of packages,
> anyway. :-)
>
> Most of the time, collisions happen when the profile are coming from
> different revision of Guix.  And try to combine several profiles from
> different revision is, IMHO, some source of troubles impossible to
> solve.

I had in mind my troubles where mixing multiple profiles gave me
headaches finding documentation. For example, I have one profile for
emacs related packages and one profile for routine R related packages. I
still cannot see the info documentation for the info related packages
unless I go about creating a dedicated environment. See (nota)bug
#55709. Similarly, I am currently trying to work through an issue with
my email configuration. Frustratingly many man page references don't go
anywhere or just don't exist because there is confusion about where to
look for this.  That is quite confusing behavior for new users.

=> https://issues.guix.gnu.org/55709

In my case I am hopeful there must be some way to extend the man and info
paths when multiple profiles are activated, and maybe that would resolve
my particular issue. I would love a suggestion to be placed in the
cookbook about this.

* Re: attempt to create a profile
@ 2023-02-14  5:40         ` 宋文武
From: 宋文武 @ 2023-02-14  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Andrews; +Cc: Simon Tournier, help-guix

Kyle Andrews <kyle@posteo.net> writes:

> In my case I am hopeful there must be some way to extend the man and info
> paths when multiple profiles are activated, and maybe that would resolve
> my particular issue. I would love a suggestion to be placed in the
> cookbook about this.

Hello, you can merge search-paths from multiple profiles with:

# Honor system-wide environment variables
source /etc/profile

# Merge search-paths from multiple profiles, the order matters.
eval "$(guix package --search-paths \
-p $HOME/.config/guix/profiles/a \
-p $HOME/.config/guix/profiles/b \
-p $HOME/.config/guix/current \
-p $HOME/.guix-profile \
-p /run/current-system/profile)"

# Prepend setuid programs.
export PATH=/run/setuid-programs:$PATH

As discussed in #20255 and #61358.

* Re: attempt to create a profile
@ 2023-02-14  6:00           ` Kyle Andrews
From: Kyle Andrews @ 2023-02-14  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 宋文武; +Cc: Simon Tournier, help-guix

This makes a lot more sense to me than sequentially sourcing
$SOME/etc/profile files as currently mentioned in the cookbook.

Thanks for sharing!

The fact that guix package supports multiple -p arguments got me excited
enough to try out a similar command with guix shell.

```
guix shell -p $HOME/my/profile/emacs -p $HOME/my/profile/rstats
--container
guix shell -p $HOME/my/profile/rstats -p $HOME/my/profile/emacs --container
```

Both commands ran for me. However, the first environment didn't provide
Emacs. The second did provide even though it didn't run because there
was no X11 available and so it errored out.

It seems that multiple -p arguments to guix shell doesn't really work
like I would hope. Ideally it would produce the same sort of system
environment as is produced by eval'ing `guix package --search-paths` with multiple profiles.

@ 2023-02-14 11:04             ` Simon Tournier
From: Simon Tournier @ 2023-02-14 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Andrews, 宋文武; +Cc: help-guix

Hi,

On mar., 14 févr. 2023 at 06:00, Kyle Andrews <kyle@posteo.net> wrote:
> ```
> guix shell -p $HOME/my/profile/emacs -p $HOME/my/profile/rstats --container
> guix shell -p $HOME/my/profile/rstats -p $HOME/my/profile/emacs --container
> ```
>
> Both commands ran for me. However, the first environment didn't provide
> Emacs. The second did provide even though it didn't run because there
> was no X11 available and so it errored out.

Yes, multi-profiles is somehow broken with “guix shell”.  Probably a
bug; I have not investigated yet.

Cheers,
simon