unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
From: Kyle Andrews <kyle@posteo.net>
To: 宋文武 <iyzsong@envs.net>
Cc: Simon Tournier <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com>, help-guix@gnu.org
Subject: Re: attempt to create a profile
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 06:00:04 +0000	[thread overview]

This makes a lot more sense to me than sequentially sourcing
$SOME/etc/profile files as currently mentioned in the cookbook.

Thanks for sharing!

The fact that guix package supports multiple -p arguments got me excited
enough to try out a similar command with guix shell.

```
guix shell -p $HOME/my/profile/emacs -p $HOME/my/profile/rstats
--container
guix shell -p $HOME/my/profile/rstats -p $HOME/my/profile/emacs --container
```

Both commands ran for me. However, the first environment didn't provide
Emacs. The second did provide even though it didn't run because there
was no X11 available and so it errored out.

It seems that multiple -p arguments to guix shell doesn't really work
like I would hope. Ideally it would produce the same sort of system
environment as is produced by eval'ing `guix package --search-paths` with multiple profiles.