Hi, I wanted to create a profile with "Musescore 3.6" but 3 times it failed during building process. So I had to create the profile with "Musescore 4". Now I have Musescore 4 in my main profile and in my Musescore profil. So the problem is now, how do I know when opening "Musescore" which one will open. Using the menu it opens "musescore 4" in my main profile Using an icon it opens "musescore 3.6" the earlier version, which I need as well. 1. if I enter "musescore" in my bash it doesn’t open this package. Why? If this profile is open/sourced, it should open this package. Other packages from my main profile like icecat, gedit, pluma open immeadiately. ...................................................................... Today, without doing anything I did a: guix package -p /home/gfp/Projekte/Musescore/guix-profil and the outcome was: gfp@Tuxedo ~$ guix package -p /home/gfp/Projekte/Musescore/guix-profil --list-installed musescore 4.0 out /gnu/store/7iwmb7qf56ybrl0ayzyr3w14h3azdg8p-musescore-4.0 gfp@Tuxedo ~$ ...................................................................... This means I was already in this profile, or better to say, both profiles were open at the same time without sourcing it today. This means for me that, when I tried to source this profile earlier, I opened it, but didn’t manage to close it. 2. Is it better to close it, or leave several profiles open at the same time? 3. Is it a problem when both/more profiles are always open? 4. what does it mean for my bash/MATE terminal? Shouldn’t I be able to open "musescore" in both profiles? Is so, what do I have to enter in the bash to open this or that "musescore" I am hacking on the very basics Kind regards Gottfried Am 09.02.23 um 20:20 schrieb Csepp: > > Gottfried writes: > >> [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]] >> Hi, >> >> thanks for your help. >> >> I tried to open this profile, >> >> by >> >>> gfp@Tuxedo ~$ source /home/gfp/Projekte/Musescore/guix-profil/etc/profile >>> >> or >> >>> gfp@Tuxedo ~$ guix shell -p /home/gfp/Projekte/Musescore/guix-profil >> >> but it didn’t happen anything. > > It's normal, it normally doesn't show anything. > >> How can I know, that I am now in this profile? >> >> Shouldn’t bash show me something? > > If you directly source the etc/profile script, GUIX_PROFILE does not get > defined, so bash doesn't know you loaded a profile. > Which is actually "correct", since sourcing it is not the same as > entering it using guix shell/environment. Sourcing directly modifies > the running process's environment variables, so exiting bash would not > get you back to a default environment, it would most likely just close > the terminal emulator. But if you are in a genuine `guix shell`, > running the exit builtin command gets you back to the process where guix > shell was run from. > > If you used guix shell then I'm pretty sure it should show someting. > Running `guix shell -p ~/.guix-profile -- bash` does show the [env] > prompt for me, so either your bash is configured differently or your > login shell is not bash. For example, my login shell is Zsh, which > doesn't have the same customization, I had to add a similar prompt hack > myself. > >> And when I opened the package "musescore" it opened the package >> musescore in my other profile. >> So I guess I am not in this profile. > > Did you open it from bash or from a desktop app launcher? > The environment variables are only changed locally in the bash process > you ran source from, or the bash process that guix shell spawned. > If you did run it from there and it launched the wrong one, then could > you post the output of > > guix package -p /home/gfp/Projekte/Musescore/guix-profil --list-installed > > ? > > Maybe you accidentally mixed up which version is installed in which > profile, it happens. --