unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org 
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* home-files-service-type file permissions
@ 2021-11-02 11:31 phodina via
  2021-11-03  7:24 ` Andrew Tropin
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: phodina via @ 2021-11-02 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andrew, help-guix

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the development of Guix home. I've recently switch to it from my dotfiles.

However, there is one thing that I do not know how to set.

When using the service home-files-service-type I encountered a situation where I'm copying a script:

(simple-service 'dotfiles
home-files-service-type
(list
...
`("config/sway/wallpaper-change.sh" ,(local-file "config/sway/wallpaper-change.sh"))))

However, after guix home reconfigure the file has only read flags set not execute. Even though the original file has execute flags.

Is the home-files-service-type the correct service to use? Or do I have to patch it in order to keep the permissions?

Petr

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: home-files-service-type file permissions
  2021-11-02 11:31 home-files-service-type file permissions phodina via
@ 2021-11-03  7:24 ` Andrew Tropin
  2021-11-08  6:44   ` phodina
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Andrew Tropin @ 2021-11-03  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: phodina, help-guix

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1935 bytes --]

On 2021-11-02 11:31, phodina@protonmail.com wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> Thanks for the development of Guix home. I've recently switch to it from my dotfiles.
>
> However, there is one thing that I do not know how to set.
>
> When using the service home-files-service-type I encountered a situation where I'm copying a script:
>
> (simple-service 'dotfiles
> home-files-service-type
> (list
> ...
> `("config/sway/wallpaper-change.sh" ,(local-file "config/sway/wallpaper-change.sh"))))
>
> However, after guix home reconfigure the file has only read flags set not execute. Even though the original file has execute flags.
>
> Is the home-files-service-type the correct service to use?
>
> Petr

If there is no specific home service for your use case, which generates
all necessary configs and executables for you the answer is probably
yes, using home-files-service-type directly is a way to go.

> Or do I have to patch it in order to keep the permissions?

AFAIK, local-file, mixed-text-file create non-executable files in the
store by design.

If you want to make an executable file you have at least a few options:

0. You can use recursive? flag to keep permissions.
(local-file "blabla" #:recursive? #t)

The quote from documentation:
> if file designates a flat file and recursive? is true, its contents
> are added, and its permission bits are kept.
http://guix.gnu.org/en/manual/devel/en/guix.html#index-local_002dfile

1. Use program-file
http://guix.gnu.org/en/manual/devel/en/guix.html#index-program_002dfile
For example I do it for generating screenshot scripts:
https://git.sr.ht/~abcdw/rde/tree/master/item/rde/features/wm.scm#L188

2. Use computed-file, which will call chmod with apropriate arguments
inside gexp.  Take a look at "empty-tree" example in the manual, you can
create a file and set apropriate permissions in the same way.

-- 
Best regards,
Andrew Tropin

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 832 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: home-files-service-type file permissions
  2021-11-03  7:24 ` Andrew Tropin
@ 2021-11-08  6:44   ` phodina
  2021-11-08  8:42     ` Andrew Tropin
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: phodina @ 2021-11-08  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Tropin; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Andrew,

On Wednesday, November 3rd, 2021 at 8:24 AM, Andrew Tropin <andrew@trop.in> wrote:

> On 2021-11-02 11:31, phodina@protonmail.com wrote:
>
> > Hi Andrew,
> >
> > Thanks for the development of Guix home. I've recently switch to it from my dotfiles.
> >
> > However, there is one thing that I do not know how to set.
> >
> > When using the service home-files-service-type I encountered a situation where I'm copying a script:
> >
> > (simple-service 'dotfiles
> >
> > home-files-service-type
> >
> > (list
> >
> > ...
> >
> > `("config/sway/wallpaper-change.sh" ,(local-file "config/sway/wallpaper-change.sh"))))
> >
> > However, after guix home reconfigure the file has only read flags set not execute. Even though the original file has execute flags.
> >
> > Is the home-files-service-type the correct service to use?
> >
> > Petr
>
> If there is no specific home service for your use case, which generates
>
> all necessary configs and executables for you the answer is probably
>
> yes, using home-files-service-type directly is a way to go.
>
> > Or do I have to patch it in order to keep the permissions?
>
> AFAIK, local-file, mixed-text-file create non-executable files in the
>
> store by design.

Thanks, I've now looked more at the implementation and spend time understanding the differences between local-file, plain-file, computed-file, program-file.
>
> If you want to make an executable file you have at least a few options:
>
> 0. You can use recursive? flag to keep permissions.
>
> (local-file "blabla" #:recursive? #t)
>

Nice and simple solution.

> The quote from documentation:
>
> > if file designates a flat file and recursive? is true, its contents
> >
> > are added, and its permission bits are kept.
>
> http://guix.gnu.org/en/manual/devel/en/guix.html#index-local_002dfile
>
> 1.  Use program-file
>
>     http://guix.gnu.org/en/manual/devel/en/guix.html#index-program_002dfile
>
>     For example I do it for generating screenshot scripts:
>
>     https://git.sr.ht/~abcdw/rde/tree/master/item/rde/features/wm.scm#L188

Thanks for this example! This is what I've been looking for.

> 2.  Use computed-file, which will call chmod with apropriate arguments
>
>     inside gexp. Take a look at "empty-tree" example in the manual, you can
>
>     create a file and set apropriate permissions in the same way.
>
>     --

This is also super useful as it allows to do what's needed to the file.

>
>     Best regards,
>
>     Andrew Tropin


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: home-files-service-type file permissions
  2021-11-08  6:44   ` phodina
@ 2021-11-08  8:42     ` Andrew Tropin
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 4+ messages in thread
From: Andrew Tropin @ 2021-11-08  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: phodina; +Cc: help-guix

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 2752 bytes --]

On 2021-11-08 06:44, phodina wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> On Wednesday, November 3rd, 2021 at 8:24 AM, Andrew Tropin <andrew@trop.in> wrote:
>
>> On 2021-11-02 11:31, phodina@protonmail.com wrote:
>>
>> > Hi Andrew,
>> >
>> > Thanks for the development of Guix home. I've recently switch to it from my dotfiles.
>> >
>> > However, there is one thing that I do not know how to set.
>> >
>> > When using the service home-files-service-type I encountered a situation where I'm copying a script:
>> >
>> > (simple-service 'dotfiles
>> >
>> > home-files-service-type
>> >
>> > (list
>> >
>> > ...
>> >
>> > `("config/sway/wallpaper-change.sh" ,(local-file "config/sway/wallpaper-change.sh"))))
>> >
>> > However, after guix home reconfigure the file has only read flags set not execute. Even though the original file has execute flags.
>> >
>> > Is the home-files-service-type the correct service to use?
>> >
>> > Petr
>>
>> If there is no specific home service for your use case, which generates
>>
>> all necessary configs and executables for you the answer is probably
>>
>> yes, using home-files-service-type directly is a way to go.
>>
>> > Or do I have to patch it in order to keep the permissions?
>>
>> AFAIK, local-file, mixed-text-file create non-executable files in the
>>
>> store by design.
>
> Thanks, I've now looked more at the implementation and spend time understanding the differences between local-file, plain-file, computed-file, program-file.
>>
>> If you want to make an executable file you have at least a few options:
>>
>> 0. You can use recursive? flag to keep permissions.
>>
>> (local-file "blabla" #:recursive? #t)
>>
>
> Nice and simple solution.
>
>> The quote from documentation:
>>
>> > if file designates a flat file and recursive? is true, its contents
>> >
>> > are added, and its permission bits are kept.
>>
>> http://guix.gnu.org/en/manual/devel/en/guix.html#index-local_002dfile
>>
>> 1.  Use program-file
>>
>>     http://guix.gnu.org/en/manual/devel/en/guix.html#index-program_002dfile
>>
>>     For example I do it for generating screenshot scripts:
>>
>>     https://git.sr.ht/~abcdw/rde/tree/master/item/rde/features/wm.scm#L188
>
> Thanks for this example! This is what I've been looking for.
>
>> 2.  Use computed-file, which will call chmod with apropriate arguments
>>
>>     inside gexp. Take a look at "empty-tree" example in the manual, you can
>>
>>     create a file and set apropriate permissions in the same way.
>>
>>     --
>
> This is also super useful as it allows to do what's needed to the file.
>
>>
>>     Best regards,
>>
>>     Andrew Tropin

Sure, glad to help :)


-- 
Best regards,
Andrew Tropin

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 832 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2021-11-08  8:51 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 4+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2021-11-02 11:31 home-files-service-type file permissions phodina via
2021-11-03  7:24 ` Andrew Tropin
2021-11-08  6:44   ` phodina
2021-11-08  8:42     ` Andrew Tropin

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).