unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* sbcl-slime-swank won't load
@ 2022-08-18 22:18 Trev
From: Trev @ 2022-08-18 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GUIX Help

I am perhaps misunderstanding how sbcl-slime-swank is meant to be used.
I have installed it into my guix home environment. I have stumpwm
installed on my system.

If I try to (asdf:load-system :swank) from the stumpwm eval repl, I get
a weird error that states "Don't know how to require SB-CLTL2".

Weird! We must be failing to retrieve some dependency.

I then went into Emacs and launched slime, and entered the following
into the REPL:

(require 'asdf)
(asdf:load-system :swank)

I get a bunch of tracebacks to a final message that seems to complain:
Read only filesystem.

I guess something in swank is trying to byte compile into the store itself.

My other sbcl-stumpwm modules load and work.

Any suggestions?

--

Trev : 0FB7 D06B 4A2A F07E AD5B  1169 183B 6306 8AA1 D206

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: sbcl-slime-swank won't load
@ 2022-08-19  8:42 ` Guillaume Le Vaillant
From: Guillaume Le Vaillant @ 2022-08-19  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trev; +Cc: help-guix

Trev <trev@trevdev.ca> skribis:

> I am perhaps misunderstanding how sbcl-slime-swank is meant to be used.
> I have installed it into my guix home environment. I have stumpwm
> installed on my system.
>
> If I try to (asdf:load-system :swank) from the stumpwm eval repl, I get
> a weird error that states "Don't know how to require SB-CLTL2".
>
> Weird! We must be failing to retrieve some dependency.
>
> I then went into Emacs and launched slime, and entered the following
> into the REPL:
>
> (require 'asdf)
> (asdf:load-system :swank)
>
> I get a bunch of tracebacks to a final message that seems to complain:
> Read only filesystem.
>
> I guess something in swank is trying to byte compile into the store itself.
>
> My other sbcl-stumpwm modules load and work.
>
> Any suggestions?

I can't reproduce the issue on my machine. There must be a difference in
our setups.

Are you on a Guix system, or on another distribution?
Are you using the stumpwm from the system profile, or from your user
profile (e.g. started by a ".xinitrc" file)?
Is sbcl installed in your user profile or not?
Do you have a ".sbclrc" file? If yes, what is in it?
Do you have Common Lisp libraries coming from outside of Guix (e.g.
Quicklisp)?

@ 2022-08-19 14:21   ` Trev
From: Trev @ 2022-08-19 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guillaume Le Vaillant; +Cc: help-guix

Guillaume Le Vaillant <glv@posteo.net> writes:

> Trev <trev@trevdev.ca> skribis:
>
>> [21 lines cropped] Any suggestions?
>
> I can't reproduce the issue on my machine. There must be a difference
> in our setups.
>
> Are you on a Guix system, or on another distribution?

Guix system :)

> Are you using the stumpwm from the system profile, or from your user
> profile (e.g. started by a ".xinitrc" file)?

It's in the system profile, along with (,stumpwm "lib"). My base system
install came with gnome/gdm already set up. I chose to install stump on
my system profile under the presumption that this is what gdm needed to
be able to provide StumpWM in my list of session options.

> Is sbcl installed in your user profile or not?

Not directly. It might be there as a dependency. Everything other than
stumpwm itself is installed in my guix home profile.

In order for any of my stumpwm-contrib modules to work, I had to write a
gexp and an home-xdg-configuration-files service to link them to
~/.config/common-lisp.

Currently this is how sbcl-slime-swank is put into
source-registry.conf.d in my user profile.

Here's the relevant code: https://paste.debian.net/1251005/

> Do you have a ".sbclrc" file? If yes, what is in it?

I do not.

> Do you have Common Lisp libraries coming from outside of Guix (e.g.
> Quicklisp)?

I'm actively avoiding Quicklisp. Yes, ql would be easier, but I'm trying
to engage with Guix for packaging and configuration.

--

@ 2022-08-19 14:49     ` Guillaume Le Vaillant
From: Guillaume Le Vaillant @ 2022-08-19 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trev; +Cc: help-guix

Trev <trev@trevdev.ca> skribis:

> Guillaume Le Vaillant <glv@posteo.net> writes:
>
>> Is sbcl installed in your user profile or not?
>
> Not directly. It might be there as a dependency. Everything other than
> stumpwm itself is installed in my guix home profile.
>
> In order for any of my stumpwm-contrib modules to work, I had to write a
> gexp and an home-xdg-configuration-files service to link them to
> ~/.config/common-lisp.
>
> Currently this is how sbcl-slime-swank is put into
> source-registry.conf.d in my user profile.
>
> Here's the relevant code: https://paste.debian.net/1251005/

For the Common Lisp libraries to be found, the XDG_CONFIG_DIRS and
XDG_DATA_DIRS environment variables must contain the paths to the
profile where the libraries are installed.

Something like:
XDG_CONFIG_DIRS="/home/username/.guix-profile/etc:..."
XDG_DATA_DIRS="/home/username/.guix-profile/share:..."

These variables are set automatically when sbcl is installed in the
profile (they can be set by some other programs too).

If you don't want sbcl in the profile, one or both variables might not
contain the paths to the profile, and your guix-home config has to put
them in. I've never used guix-home yet, but I suppose
home-environment-variables-service-type can do that, and then creating
a custom ".config/common-lisp" directory should not be necessary.

@ 2022-08-19 15:40       ` Trev
From: Trev @ 2022-08-19 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guillaume Le Vaillant; +Cc: help-guix

On August 19, 2022 7:49:55 a.m. PDT, Guillaume Le Vaillant <glv@posteo.net> wrote:
>Trev <trev@trevdev.ca> skribis:
>
>> Guillaume Le Vaillant <glv@posteo.net> writes:
>>
>>> Is sbcl installed in your user profile or not?
>>
>> Not directly. It might be there as a dependency. Everything other than
>> stumpwm itself is installed in my guix home profile.
>>
>> In order for any of my stumpwm-contrib modules to work, I had to write a
>> gexp and an home-xdg-configuration-files service to link them to
>> ~/.config/common-lisp.
>>
>> Currently this is how sbcl-slime-swank is put into
>> source-registry.conf.d in my user profile.
>>
>> Here's the relevant code: https://paste.debian.net/1251005/
>
>For the Common Lisp libraries to be found, the XDG_CONFIG_DIRS and
>XDG_DATA_DIRS environment variables must contain the paths to the
>profile where the libraries are installed.
>
>Something like:
>--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>XDG_CONFIG_DIRS="/home/username/.guix-profile/etc:..."
>XDG_DATA_DIRS="/home/username/.guix-profile/share:..."
>--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>
>These variables are set automatically when sbcl is installed in the
>profile (they can be set by some other programs too).

Would the path of least resistance be to install sbcl explicitly in my home profile?

Maybe the way to go is to surrender and eithet put all of my sbcl in the system, or home profile, not both. I am hesitating over installing 3rd party systems on my root profile.

Having gnome/gdm for display management and as a fallback is a nice luxury to have. I guess I need to weigh some priorities here.

>If you don't want sbcl in the profile, one or both variables might not
>contain the paths to the profile, and your guix-home config has to put
>them in. I've never used guix-home yet, but I suppose
>home-environment-variables-service-type can do that, and then creating
>a custom ".config/common-lisp" directory should not be necessary.

This would be simpler than a gexp for consolidating package source registries.

* Re: sbcl-slime-swank won't load
@ 2022-08-20  9:16         ` Guillaume Le Vaillant
From: Guillaume Le Vaillant @ 2022-08-20  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trev; +Cc: help-guix

Trev <trev@trevdev.ca> skribis:

> Would the path of least resistance be to install sbcl explicitly in my home profile?

Try installing sbcl to your home profile to see if it fixes the problem,
then if you don't want to keep it in your home profile, remove it and
set the environment variables using guix-home instead.

@ 2022-08-20 22:58           ` Trev
From: Trev @ 2022-08-20 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guillaume Le Vaillant; +Cc: help-guix

Guillaume Le Vaillant <glv@posteo.net> writes:

> Trev <trev@trevdev.ca> skribis:
>

>> Would the path of least resistance be to install sbcl explicitly in my home profile?
>>

> Try installing sbcl to your home profile to see if it fixes the problem,
> then if you don't want to keep it in your home profile, remove it and
> set the environment variables using guix-home instead.

By putting sbcl into my guix-home profile along with the sbcl-stumpwm-*
modules, I am now getting these 3rd party modules without a gexp
work-around. Thanks for that!

However, I still can't get sbcl-slime-swank working in stumpwm. I tried
having sbcl-slime-swank in my guix-home profile. Then I tried putting it
in my system profile where stumpwm is currently declared. Neither of
these cases work with stumpwm's init or eval methods.

I can, however, fire up sbcl from the terminal, require asdf and then
(asdf:load-system :swank) without any issues. I was sure to reboot my
machine before trying.

--

@ 2022-08-22 11:03             ` Guillaume Le Vaillant
From: Guillaume Le Vaillant @ 2022-08-22 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)