I am perhaps misunderstanding how sbcl-slime-swank is meant to be used. I have installed it into my guix home environment. I have stumpwm installed on my system. If I try to (asdf:load-system :swank) from the stumpwm eval repl, I get a weird error that states "Don't know how to require SB-CLTL2". Weird! We must be failing to retrieve some dependency. I then went into Emacs and launched slime, and entered the following into the REPL: (require 'asdf) (asdf:load-system :swank) I get a bunch of tracebacks to a final message that seems to complain: Read only filesystem. I guess something in swank is trying to byte compile into the store itself. My other sbcl-stumpwm modules load and work. Any suggestions? -- Trev : 0FB7 D06B 4A2A F07E AD5B 1169 183B 6306 8AA1 D206