unofficial mirror of guix-science@gnu.org
* [event] Next steps for 2021-2022?
@ 2021-09-08  8:34 Simon Tournier
From: Simon Tournier @ 2021-09-08  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-science; +Cc: Ludovic Courtès

Hi,

It is the beginning of a new academic year and I hope that everything
is fine for all.

I propose a virtual meeting to discuss and list what we – as a
community – would like to tackle this year.  For instance, my whishlist
is:

 - better coverage with long-term archive using Software Heritage
 - online events as training / season school / workshop

Let schedule a date between September, 27th and 30th.  Personally, I
would prefer the morning (8-13:00 CET).  Drop an email (public or
private) and let try to accommodate for all.

As reminder, here [1] is the 2020 Activity Report.  There’s a lot we
can do and we’d love to hear your ideas!

1: <https://hpc.guix.info/blog/2021/02/guix-hpc-activity-report-2020/>

All the best,
simon

* Re: [event] Next steps for 2021-2022?
@ 2021-09-09  8:07 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2021-09-09  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Tournier; +Cc: guix-science

Hello,

"Simon Tournier" <simon.tournier@univ-paris-diderot.fr> skribis:

> I propose a virtual meeting to discuss and list what we – as a
> community – would like to tackle this year.  For instance, my whishlist
> is:
>
>  - better coverage with long-term archive using Software Heritage

… and with Disarchive.

>  - online events as training / season school / workshop

+1

Some items from my to-do list:

  - Good micro-architecture story with function multi-versioning along
    the lines of
    <https://gitlab.inria.fr/guix-hpc/function-multi-versioning> (help
    welcome especially on finding good applications to benchmark!).

  - Relocatable pack execution on clusters that lack user namespaces,
    thus with GUIX EXECUTION_ENGINE=fakechroot (I noticed glitches in
    the past due to glibc NSS and things like that.)

  - “Converting” papers to use a Guix workflow similar to what I did in
    <https://zenodo.org/record/3886739>, with the goal of extracting
    common helpers to make it more approachable.

> Let schedule a date between September, 27th and 30th.  Personally, I
> would prefer the morning (8-13:00 CET).  Drop an email (public or
> private) and let try to accommodate for all.

Works for me.

Thanks for starting this initiative!

* Re: [event] Next steps for 2021-2022?
@ 2021-09-10  8:48   ` Konrad Hinsen
From: Konrad Hinsen @ 2021-09-10  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès, Simon Tournier; +Cc: guix-science

Hi everyone,

Ludovic Courtès <ludovic.courtes@inria.fr> writes:

>   - Relocatable pack execution on clusters that lack user namespaces,
>     thus with GUIX EXECUTION_ENGINE=fakechroot (I noticed glitches in
>     the past due to glibc NSS and things like that.)

+1, as that would help adoption in HPC circles.

>   - “Converting” papers to use a Guix workflow similar to what I did in
>     <https://zenodo.org/record/3886739>, with the goal of extracting
>     common helpers to make it more approachable.

+1 as well, and that's something where I can probably contribute a bit.

>> Let schedule a date between September, 27th and 30th.  Personally, I
>> would prefer the morning (8-13:00 CET).  Drop an email (public or
>> private) and let try to accommodate for all.
>
> Works for me.

Me too. Any of those days.

> Thanks for starting this initiative!

+ 1

Konrad
Konrad Hinsen
Saint Aubin - BP 48
91192 Gif sur Yvette Cedex, France
Tel. +33-1 69 35 97 15
E-Mail: konrad DOT hinsen AT cnrs DOT fr
http://dirac.cnrs-orleans.fr/~hinsen/
ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0003-0330-9428
Twitter: @khinsen

* Re: [event] Next steps for 2021-2022?