unofficial mirror of guix-science@gnu.org
* [event] Next steps for 2021-2022?
@ 2021-09-08  8:34 Simon Tournier
From: Simon Tournier @ 2021-09-08  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-science; +Cc: Ludovic Courtès

Hi,

It is the beginning of a new academic year and I hope that everything
is fine for all.

I propose a virtual meeting to discuss and list what we – as a
community – would like to tackle this year.  For instance, my whishlist
is:

 - better coverage with long-term archive using Software Heritage
 - online events as training / season school / workshop

Let schedule a date between September, 27th and 30th.  Personally, I
would prefer the morning (8-13:00 CET).  Drop an email (public or
private) and let try to accommodate for all.

As reminder, here [1] is the 2020 Activity Report.  There’s a lot we
can do and we’d love to hear your ideas!

1: <https://hpc.guix.info/blog/2021/02/guix-hpc-activity-report-2020/>

All the best,
simon

* Re: [event] Next steps for 2021-2022?
@ 2021-09-09  8:07 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2021-09-09  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Tournier; +Cc: guix-science

Hello,

"Simon Tournier" <simon.tournier@univ-paris-diderot.fr> skribis:

> I propose a virtual meeting to discuss and list what we – as a
> community – would like to tackle this year.  For instance, my whishlist
> is:
>
>  - better coverage with long-term archive using Software Heritage

… and with Disarchive.

>  - online events as training / season school / workshop

+1

Some items from my to-do list:

  - Good micro-architecture story with function multi-versioning along
    the lines of
    <https://gitlab.inria.fr/guix-hpc/function-multi-versioning> (help
    welcome especially on finding good applications to benchmark!).

  - Relocatable pack execution on clusters that lack user namespaces,
    thus with GUIX EXECUTION_ENGINE=fakechroot (I noticed glitches in
    the past due to glibc NSS and things like that.)

  - “Converting” papers to use a Guix workflow similar to what I did in
    <https://zenodo.org/record/3886739>, with the goal of extracting
    common helpers to make it more approachable.

> Let schedule a date between September, 27th and 30th.  Personally, I
> would prefer the morning (8-13:00 CET).  Drop an email (public or
> private) and let try to accommodate for all.

Works for me.

Thanks for starting this initiative!

Ludo’.

* Re: [event] Next steps for 2021-2022?
@ 2021-09-10  8:48   ` Konrad Hinsen
From: Konrad Hinsen @ 2021-09-10  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès, Simon Tournier; +Cc: guix-science

Hi everyone,

Ludovic Courtès <ludovic.courtes@inria.fr> writes:

>   - Relocatable pack execution on clusters that lack user namespaces,
>     thus with GUIX EXECUTION_ENGINE=fakechroot (I noticed glitches in
>     the past due to glibc NSS and things like that.)

+1, as that would help adoption in HPC circles.

>   - “Converting” papers to use a Guix workflow similar to what I did in
>     <https://zenodo.org/record/3886739>, with the goal of extracting
>     common helpers to make it more approachable.

+1 as well, and that's something where I can probably contribute a bit.

>> Let schedule a date between September, 27th and 30th.  Personally, I
>> would prefer the morning (8-13:00 CET).  Drop an email (public or
>> private) and let try to accommodate for all.
>
> Works for me.

Me too. Any of those days.

> Thanks for starting this initiative!

+ 1

Konrad
Konrad Hinsen
Saint Aubin - BP 48
91192 Gif sur Yvette Cedex, France
Tel. +33-1 69 35 97 15
E-Mail: konrad DOT hinsen AT cnrs DOT fr
http://dirac.cnrs-orleans.fr/~hinsen/
ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0003-0330-9428
Twitter: @khinsen

* Re: [event] Next steps for 2021-2022?
@ 2021-09-14 13:05 ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2021-09-14 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Tournier; +Cc: guix-science, Ludovic Courtès

On Wed, Sep 08, 2021 at 10:34:32AM +0200, Simon Tournier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It is the beginning of a new academic year and I hope that everything
> is fine for all.
>
> I propose a virtual meeting to discuss and list what we – as a
> community – would like to tackle this year.  For instance, my whishlist
> is:
>
>  - better coverage with long-term archive using Software Heritage
>  - online events as training / season school / workshop

With Julien working on building Android packages there's quite a bit of
overlap with bootstrapping bazel, at least according to Debian's
bazel-bootstrap package².

Also after the past year and a half I think people are going to be more
open to the idea of online workshops.

> Let schedule a date between September, 27th and 30th.  Personally, I
> would prefer the morning (8-13:00 CET).  Drop an email (public or
> private) and let try to accommodate for all.

Tuesday the 28th doesn't work for me, the other days are fine. And I
also like the mornings :)

² https://sources.debian.org/src/bazel-bootstrap/3.5.1+ds-3/debian/control/

--
Efraim Flashner   <efraim@flashner.co.il>   רנשלפ םירפא

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* User & Developer Meetup on Sept. 27th 9:00-10:30 (AM CEST)
@ 2021-09-24  9:04 ` Simon Tournier
From: Simon Tournier @ 2021-09-24  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-science; +Cc: Ludovic Courtès

Hi,

Users and developers of GNU Guix in a scientific context, for
reproducible research or high-performance computing (HPC), will meet on
line, on Monday 27th September, 9:00–10:30 AM CEST.

The meeting will take place in this BigBlueButton chat room,

    https://qlf-bbb.inria.fr/cou-srm-ted-9y1

Enter your name or nickname and join.

This will be an informal meeting to collectively map out actions for
the coming year—define what each of us would like to work on, what we
would like to see happening, and how we can coordinate. If you use Guix
in an HPC or scientific context, if you package software or develop
Guix itself and related tools, you’re welcome to join and share your
ideas!

Topics include:

 - organizing training sessions and workshops;
 - long-term archival using Software Heritage and Disarchive;
 - citing software using Software Heritage IDs and Guix;
 - “converting” reproducible/active papers to use Guix;
 - packaging machine learning frameworks;
 - programming with GPUs;
 - Julia packaging and importer;
 - CPU micro-architecture support with function multi-versioning;
 - relocatable pack execution on clusters that lack user namespaces;
 - run the tutorial FEniCSX and Firedrake cases using guix-jupyter.

More details can be found in this notepad [1] and you are free to add
your ideas; even if you cannot attend.

We will arrange to split time evenly among those items so we can browse
all the suggestions.

For any question, please email guix-science@gnu.org or join the
#guix-hpc IRC channel on irc.libera.chat.  This event is subject to the
code of conduct of the GNU Guix project.

1: <https://mensuel.framapad.org/p/guix-hpc-meetup-2021-9pw7?lang=en>

All the best

* Re: User & Developer Meetup on Sept. 27th 9:00-10:30 (AM CEST)
@ 2021-09-24 16:00   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2021-09-24 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Tournier; +Cc: guix-science

Hello,

"Simon Tournier" <simon.tournier@univ-paris-diderot.fr> skribis:

> Users and developers of GNU Guix in a scientific context, for
> reproducible research or high-performance computing (HPC), will meet on
> line, on Monday 27th September, 9:00–10:30 AM CEST.

For the record, details about the event are also available at:

  https://hpc.guix.info/events/2021/user-developer-meetup/

We’ll update that page if details change.

Ludo’.

* Re: User & Developer Meetup on Sept. 27th 9:00-10:30 (AM CEST)
@ 2021-09-26 19:08   ` Yann Dupont
From: Yann Dupont @ 2021-09-26 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-science