unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* staging evaluation in progress
@ 2018-04-16 16:36 Marius Bakke
From: Marius Bakke @ 2018-04-16 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello!

I just started a 'staging' evaluation:

https://hydra.gnu.org/jobset/gnu/staging

Fairly minor changes this round, highlights include Wayland 1.15 and
GStreamer 1.14.  We narrowly missed Mesa 17.3.9 which was scheduled for
today but delayed, hopefully 17.3.8 doesn't introduce any new bugs.

Results should start ticking in tomorrow.

Efraim Flashner (2):
      build-system/meson: Use 'target-arm32?' for armhf-linux case.
      Revert "build-system/meson: Use 'target-arm32?' for armhf-linux case."

Marius Bakke (15):
      gnu: gtk+: Update to 3.22.29.
      gnu: libxkbcommon: Update to 0.8.0.
      gnu: mesa: Update to 17.3.7.
      gnu: meson: Update to 0.45.1.
      gnu: gstreamer: Update to 1.14.0.
      gnu: nss, nss-certs: Update to 3.36.1.
      gnu: mesa: Update to 17.3.8.
      gnu: alsa-lib: Update to 1.1.6.
      gnu: alsa-utils: Update to 1.1.6.
      gnu: alsa-plugins: Update to 1.1.6.
      gnu: atk: Update to 2.28.1.
      build-system/meson: Don't override LDFLAGS if already set.
      gnu: gdk-pixbuf: Update to 2.36.12.
      gnu: libinput: Update to 1.10.3.
      gnu: eudev: Update to 3.2.5.

Rutger Helling (2):
      gnu: wayland: Update to 1.15.0.
      gnu: wayland-protocols: Update to 1.13.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: staging evaluation in progress
@ 2018-04-18 21:23 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-04-18 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Bakke; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello Marius,

Marius Bakke <mbakke@fastmail.com> skribis:

> I just started a 'staging' evaluation:
>
> https://hydra.gnu.org/jobset/gnu/staging
>
> Fairly minor changes this round, highlights include Wayland 1.15 and
> GStreamer 1.14.  We narrowly missed Mesa 17.3.9 which was scheduled for
> today but delayed, hopefully 17.3.8 doesn't introduce any new bugs.

Awesome!  Hydra has apparently built stuff.  I’ve enabled it just now on
berlin.guixsd.org as well, let’s see how it goes.

Thank you!

Ludo’.

* Re: staging evaluation in progress
@ 2018-04-19 12:11 ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2018-04-19 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Bakke; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Marius,

Marius Bakke <mbakke@fastmail.com> writes:

> I just started a 'staging' evaluation:
>
> https://hydra.gnu.org/jobset/gnu/staging
>
> Fairly minor changes this round, highlights include Wayland 1.15 and
> GStreamer 1.14.  We narrowly missed Mesa 17.3.9 which was scheduled for
> today but delayed, hopefully 17.3.8 doesn't introduce any new bugs.
>
> Results should start ticking in tomorrow.

The main issue I see so far is that 'gst-plugins-base' seems to
consistently fail the "elements/opus" test on i686-linux.  It failed
twice in a row, anyway:

  https://hydra.gnu.org/build/2635798

Thanks for working on it.

      Mark

* Re: staging evaluation in progress
@ 2018-04-23 18:15   ` Marius Bakke
From: Marius Bakke @ 2018-04-23 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: guix-devel

Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> writes:

> Hi Marius,
>
> Marius Bakke <mbakke@fastmail.com> writes:
>
>> I just started a 'staging' evaluation:
>>
>> https://hydra.gnu.org/jobset/gnu/staging
>>
>> Fairly minor changes this round, highlights include Wayland 1.15 and
>> GStreamer 1.14.  We narrowly missed Mesa 17.3.9 which was scheduled for
>> today but delayed, hopefully 17.3.8 doesn't introduce any new bugs.
>>
>> Results should start ticking in tomorrow.
>
> The main issue I see so far is that 'gst-plugins-base' seems to
> consistently fail the "elements/opus" test on i686-linux.  It failed
> twice in a row, anyway:
>
>   https://hydra.gnu.org/build/2635798

I can reproduce this failure locally, and could not find related bug
reports or git commits upstream.  For now I downgraded to 1.12.5 so we
can proceed, and will report the i686 and armhf issues upstream.

@ 2018-04-24  1:53     ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2018-04-24  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Bakke; +Cc: guix-devel

Marius Bakke <mbakke@fastmail.com> writes:

> Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> writes:
>
>> Hi Marius,
>>
>> Marius Bakke <mbakke@fastmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I just started a 'staging' evaluation:
>>>
>>> https://hydra.gnu.org/jobset/gnu/staging
>>>
>>> Fairly minor changes this round, highlights include Wayland 1.15 and
>>> GStreamer 1.14.  We narrowly missed Mesa 17.3.9 which was scheduled for
>>> today but delayed, hopefully 17.3.8 doesn't introduce any new bugs.
>>>
>>> Results should start ticking in tomorrow.
>>
>> The main issue I see so far is that 'gst-plugins-base' seems to
>> consistently fail the "elements/opus" test on i686-linux.  It failed
>> twice in a row, anyway:
>>
>>   https://hydra.gnu.org/build/2635798
>
> I can reproduce this failure locally, and could not find related bug
> reports or git commits upstream.  For now I downgraded to 1.12.5 so we
> can proceed, and will report the i686 and armhf issues upstream.

Instead of downgrading gstreamer, I think it would be better to simply
disable that test on i686 for now.  Most likely, it is due to tests that
are intolerant of the double rounding that occurs on i686 without SSE2,
where the old x87 FP instructions are used instead.  The double rounding
happens because x87 operations are performed on 80-bit double-extended
precision floating-point numbers, which must then be rounded a second
time when they are converted to 64-bit doubles as used in C.

What do you think?

      Mark

* Re: staging evaluation in progress
@ 2018-04-25 13:21       ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2018-04-25 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: guix-devel

On Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 09:53:04PM -0400, Mark H Weaver wrote:
> Marius Bakke <mbakke@fastmail.com> writes:
>
> > Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> writes:
> >
> >> Hi Marius,

> >> The main issue I see so far is that 'gst-plugins-base' seems to
> >> consistently fail the "elements/opus" test on i686-linux.  It failed
> >> twice in a row, anyway:
> >>
> >>   https://hydra.gnu.org/build/2635798
> >
> > I can reproduce this failure locally, and could not find related bug
> > reports or git commits upstream.  For now I downgraded to 1.12.5 so we
> > can proceed, and will report the i686 and armhf issues upstream.
>
> Instead of downgrading gstreamer, I think it would be better to simply
> disable that test on i686 for now.  Most likely, it is due to tests that
> are intolerant of the double rounding that occurs on i686 without SSE2,
> where the old x87 FP instructions are used instead.  The double rounding
> happens because x87 operations are performed on 80-bit double-extended
> precision floating-point numbers, which must then be rounded a second
> time when they are converted to 64-bit doubles as used in C.
>
> What do you think?
>
>       Mark

somewhat random tests fail on aarch64 also, different ones from the
other architectures. I'd suggest we wait it out until 1.14.1 and watch
upstream for bug fixes.

@ 2018-04-25 14:04       ` Marius Bakke
From: Marius Bakke @ 2018-04-25 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello Mark,

Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> writes:

> Marius Bakke <mbakke@fastmail.com> writes:
>
>> Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> writes:
>>
>>> Hi Marius,

>>> The main issue I see so far is that 'gst-plugins-base' seems to
>>> consistently fail the "elements/opus" test on i686-linux.  It failed
>>> twice in a row, anyway:
>>>
>>>   https://hydra.gnu.org/build/2635798
>>
>> I can reproduce this failure locally, and could not find related bug
>> reports or git commits upstream.  For now I downgraded to 1.12.5 so we
>> can proceed, and will report the i686 and armhf issues upstream.
>
> Instead of downgrading gstreamer, I think it would be better to simply
> disable that test on i686 for now.  Most likely, it is due to tests that
> are intolerant of the double rounding that occurs on i686 without SSE2,
> where the old x87 FP instructions are used instead.  The double rounding
> happens because x87 operations are performed on 80-bit double-extended
> precision floating-point numbers, which must then be rounded a second
> time when they are converted to 64-bit doubles as used in C.
>
> What do you think?

Thanks for the insight here.  My rationale for downgrading was that
there are a handful other tests that fail on armhf; but I just realized
that we haven't had "gst-plugins-base" working on armhf for a long time.

1.12.5 is also "newer" than 1.14.0.  Since there are problems on aarch64
too I went ahead and started the branch with 1.12.5.

Let's revisit this issue on 'core-updates'.

@ 2018-04-25 14:32         ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2018-04-25 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Bakke; +Cc: guix-devel

Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> writes:

> On Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 09:53:04PM -0400, Mark H Weaver wrote:
>> Marius Bakke <mbakke@fastmail.com> writes:

>> > I can reproduce this failure locally, and could not find related bug
>> > reports or git commits upstream.  For now I downgraded to 1.12.5 so we
>> > can proceed, and will report the i686 and armhf issues upstream.
>>
>> Instead of downgrading gstreamer, I think it would be better to simply
>> disable that test on i686 for now.  Most likely, it is due to tests that
>> are intolerant of the double rounding that occurs on i686 without SSE2,
>> where the old x87 FP instructions are used instead.  The double rounding
>> happens because x87 operations are performed on 80-bit double-extended
>> precision floating-point numbers, which must then be rounded a second
>> time when they are converted to 64-bit doubles as used in C.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>>       Mark
>>

> somewhat random tests fail on aarch64 also, different ones from the
> other architectures. I'd suggest we wait it out until 1.14.1 and watch
> upstream for bug fixes.

Do we know if there are any security fixes in 1.14.0 that are not in
1.12.5?  Is the 1.12.x branch still receiving security updates?

       Mark

* Re: staging evaluation in progress
@ 2018-04-26 10:34           ` Marius Bakke
From: Marius Bakke @ 2018-04-26 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: guix-devel

Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> writes:

> Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> writes:

>>> Instead of downgrading gstreamer, I think it would be better to simply
>>> disable that test on i686 for now.  Most likely, it is due to tests that
>>> are intolerant of the double rounding that occurs on i686 without SSE2,
>>> where the old x87 FP instructions are used instead.  The double rounding
>>> happens because x87 operations are performed on 80-bit double-extended
>>> precision floating-point numbers, which must then be rounded a second
>>> time when they are converted to 64-bit doubles as used in C.
>>>
>>> What do you think?
>>>
>>>       Mark
>>>

>> somewhat random tests fail on aarch64 also, different ones from the
>> other architectures. I'd suggest we wait it out until 1.14.1 and watch
>> upstream for bug fixes.
>
> Do we know if there are any security fixes in 1.14.0 that are not in
> 1.12.5?  Is the 1.12.x branch still receiving security updates?

As far as I could tell, the 1.12.5 release was mostly security fixes
backported from 1.14.

See the log in
<https://cgit.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-plugins-base/log/?h=1.12>.

@ 2018-04-26 13:53 ` Arun Isaac
From: Arun Isaac @ 2018-04-26 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Bakke; +Cc: guix-devel

Marius Bakke <mbakke@fastmail.com> writes:

> I just started a 'staging' evaluation:

Hi,

I had pushed the following two texlive-bin patches to staging on Wed Apr
11.

    gnu: texlive-bin: Patch texlua shebangs.
    gnu: texlive-bin: Use ghostscript executable "gs" in ps2eps.

These patches are missing from the list of patches you mentioned. Did
something go wrong?

* Re: staging evaluation in progress
@ 2018-04-26 14:06   ` Marius Bakke
From: Marius Bakke @ 2018-04-26 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arun Isaac; +Cc: guix-devel

Arun Isaac <arunisaac@systemreboot.net> writes:

> Marius Bakke <mbakke@fastmail.com> writes:
>
>> I just started a 'staging' evaluation:
>
> Hi,
>
> I had pushed the following two texlive-bin patches to staging on Wed Apr
> 11.
>
>     gnu: texlive-bin: Patch texlua shebangs.
>     gnu: texlive-bin: Use ghostscript executable "gs" in ps2eps.
>
> These patches are missing from the list of patches you mentioned. Did
> something go wrong?

The initial email was sent April 16th, while the texlive patches were
added on April 21st.  So everything is in order :-)

@ 2018-04-26 18:48     ` Arun Isaac
From: Arun Isaac @ 2018-04-26 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Bakke; +Cc: guix-devel

Marius Bakke <mbakke@fastmail.com> writes:

> The initial email was sent April 16th, while the texlive patches were
> added on April 21st.  So everything is in order :-)

Ok. Thank you for the clarification! :-)