unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Google Summer of Code Inquiry
@ 2024-03-27 23:00 Zachary Liebl
From: Zachary Liebl @ 2024-03-27 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

* Re: Google Summer of Code Inquiry
@ 2024-03-29  9:52 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2024-03-29  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zachary Liebl; +Cc: guix-devel, Ekaitz Zarraga

Hi Zachary,

Zachary Liebl <guix@zachliebl.com> skribis:

> I am interested in taking on one of your Google Summer of Code projects. I have been a long time NixOS user, and I need an excuse to finally get involved with Guix, and I think this is it.
>
> I am particularly interested in the project "Add support for AppImage in guix pack." What should my next steps be in my application for your GSoC project?

Thanks for reaching out to us!  I’m Cc’ing Ekaitz who’s willing to
mentor this effort according to
<https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/GSoC-2024> (other people
familiar with ‘guix pack’, myself included, can give a hand during the
project).

The first steps for GSoC candidates is usually to get familiar with the
project and its code base.  I would first recommend installing Guix and
playing around with it, including with ‘guix pack’.  You could try
making a first contribution, for example by adding a package that you
need but is missing.  Here’s a good entry point:

  https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Contributing.html

These are the first things that come to mind but Ekaitz might have other
ideas!

Cheers,
Ludo’.

* Re: Google Summer of Code Inquiry
@ 2024-03-29 11:03   ` Ekaitz Zarraga
From: Ekaitz Zarraga @ 2024-03-29 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès, Zachary Liebl; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi all,

Yes, I proposed the project because that was something I wanted to do
myself, but I didn't have the time for.

As Ludo suggests, start getting familiar with Guix's codebase and usage.
I can help you with contribution later.

When digging on the code, this talk by Josselin Poiret is very helpful:

https://10years.guix.gnu.org/program/#guixy-guile-the-derivation-factory-a-tour-of-the-guix-source-tree

Feel free to contact us at any time and as questions. I more than open
to answer all I can.

Also, I recommend you take a look to what an AppImage is, if you are not
sure about it and how `guix pack` works, i.e. what contents do the
`pack`s have. Once you get that, it shouldn't be too hard to combine both.

Cheers,
Ekaitz

@ 2024-04-01 15:47 Sebastian Dümcke
From: Sebastian Dümcke @ 2024-04-01 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix, guix-devel

Hello Zachary,

just wanted to chime in. Since last week I have some working code to
generate AppImages with guix pack. I was planning on tidying this up for
submission over the next weeks.
There is still work to do regarding documentation, adding options
specific to the AppImage format, building the AppImageKit runtime from
source and a lot of testing.

However, I believe that the remaining effort is around 8-10 hours. I am
happy to hand the code over to you to finish up and co-mentor (though
this patch would be my first contribution to guix) if you think this is
appropriate.

I do not wish to  discourage from contribtuting to the project, just
hoping to avoid duplicated efforts

Best
Sebastian

PS: this is also my first message sent to a mailing list, hope it makes
it through ok. Please point out any errors or breackes in netiquette

* Re: Google Summer of Code Inquiry
@ 2024-04-09 15:25 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2024-04-09 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Dümcke; +Cc: guix, guix-devel

Hi Sebastian,

Sebastian Dümcke <code@sam-d.com> skribis:

> just wanted to chime in. Since last week I have some working code to
> generate AppImages with guix pack. I was planning on tidying this up
> for submission over the next weeks.
> There is still work to do regarding documentation, adding options
> specific to the AppImage format, building the AppImageKit runtime from
> source and a lot of testing.

This is great news!  Looking forward to incorporating those changes.

> However, I believe that the remaining effort is around 8-10 hours. I
> am happy to hand the code over to you to finish up and co-mentor
> (though this patch would be my first contribution to guix) if you
> think this is appropriate.

It does sound like it jeopardizes this specific project.  In a way,
that’s a good problem to have as a project, but it does mean that
Zachary would need to look for another project (which could still be
related to ‘guix pack’).

Thoughts?

> PS: this is also my first message sent to a mailing list, hope it
> makes it through ok. Please point out any errors or breackes in
> netiquette

It’s perfect!

Thanks,
Ludo’.