unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu>
To: guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: my latest blog post
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 11:15:16 +0200	[thread overview]

Le 2018-06-07 17:25, Catonano a écrit :
> I just published my latest blog post
>
> In this post I discuss Guix
>
> And I discuss Guile too
>
> I understand that the language is strong and I expect someone to be
> upset
>
> But I feel this is due
>
> Happy reading
>
> http://catonano.v22018025836661967.nicesrv.de/the-gnu-community.html

Hi,

that was a long but interesting reading :)

I won't be able to address your main points, about the Guile and the
broader GNU
community. That's because even though I'm part of Guix, I haven't really
interacted
with them (yet?). My only interactions were through Guix and a GHM I
attended when
I wasn't a contributor to anything. I remember it as a friendly event
though, so
your post is a bit of a surprise to me. Let me try and address some of
the minor
points instead.

I read you're having trouble to find information from the section
titles. Info manuals
have an index where it's easier to find things. But actually, what helps
me the most
is to ignore the `info` command and open either the full .texi source or
the "html
in one page" version. Then I can do full-text search, which is a lot
quicker. Does
anyone know if there is a similar facility in the info program?

I've also found that GNU documentations were not excessively easy to
navigate.
It's sometimes a bit hard to find information on something fuzzy like
"what's the
function that returns only part of a string again?" or "is there
something that can
grow like a list, but with O(1) access?", but it's a great document to
have when
reading existing code: each procedure is very detailed and in a language
that I find
easy to understand (although it sometimes refers to another part of the
manual).

Ludo proposed to create a separate document for user stories and
tutorials on how
to do specific things, Rekado suggested creating video tutorials
explaining specific
points. I think this is the right direction.

About your concerns on recommending Guix to others, I think you're
mistaken. I actually
discovered Guile through Guix and I haven't have any bad experience. I'm
not on #guile
because people on #guix are generous enough to answer unrelated stupid
questions :)
Guile was even my first functional programming language and I managed to
learn just
enough of it to be able to create packages and system configurations.
All of that
from reading existing code, copying parts that looked related to what I
wanted to do
and not knowing what I was doing at all :). So from experience, you can
use and even
contribute to guix without ever going to #guile. You just need a good
tutorial from the
internet. My point is, if you don't want to recommand the guile
community, you can still
recommand the friendly guix community.