unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* You're invited to the first patch review session!
@ 2024-02-22 23:27 Steve George
From: Steve George @ 2024-02-22 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi

We're going to run some online patch review sessions. The first one is on *Thursday, 7th March* and you can sign-up here:

  https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/PatchReviewSessions2024

The background is that Guix has many fantastic contributions that are waiting to be reviewed and added to the archive. We have the QA system that does test builds, but each patch also needs to be evaluated and checked. Anyone can review patches, and reviews help to confirm that a patch is in good shape to be added to the archive.

Doing patch reviews is also a great way to learn about Guix, the different packages and methods involved in packaging. To encourage new reviewers to step forward, and to have some fun we're going to run on-line patch review sessions. These will be informal, probably chaotic - but fun - with the aim that we learn as a group how to review packages.

Each session will be hour 1:30 and they are rotating through the week, so there should be plenty of opportunities to come along. We're using the Guix London's Meet-up and the sessions run on Jitsi.

We'll try and talk a bit about how to do reviews, and then we'll try and do some reviews, learning and asking questions together!

Hope to see you there!

Steve / Futurile

* Re: You're invited to the first patch review session!
@ 2024-02-22 23:53 ` Vagrant Cascadian
From: Vagrant Cascadian @ 2024-02-22 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve George, help-guix; +Cc: guix-devel

On 2024-02-22, Steve George wrote:
> We're going to run some online patch review sessions. The first one is on *Thursday, 7th March* and you can sign-up here:
>
>   https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/PatchReviewSessions2024

Hoping to make it for some of these, thanks for doing it!

One small point is if people could include the scheduled times in UTC in
addition to "arbitrary" timezones. It is much easier to compare against
UTC (especially because it does not do daylight savings time) if you
don't happen to be in one of the specified timezones. :)

live well,
  vagrant

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: You're invited to the first patch review session!
@ 2024-02-23  6:11   ` Vivien Kraus
From: Vivien Kraus @ 2024-02-23  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vagrant Cascadian, Steve George, help-guix; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello!

Le jeudi 22 février 2024 à 15:53 -0800, Vagrant Cascadian a écrit :
> On 2024-02-22, Steve George wrote:
> > We're going to run some online patch review sessions. The first one
> > is on *Thursday, 7th March* and you can sign-up here:
> >
> >   https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/PatchReviewSessions2024
>
> Hoping to make it for some of these, thanks for doing it!
>
> One small point is if people could include the scheduled times in UTC
> in
> addition to "arbitrary" timezones. It is much easier to compare
> against
> UTC (especially because it does not do daylight savings time) if you
> don't happen to be in one of the specified timezones. :)

I believe this ical file represents the event accurately (for March 7),
but I’m not the organizer.

Best regards,

Vivien

[-- Attachment #2: Guix Patch Review Sessions 2024.ics --]
[-- Type: text/calendar, Size: 1557 bytes --]

BEGIN:VCALENDAR
PRODID:-//Ximian//NONSGML Evolution Calendar//EN
VERSION:2.0
METHOD:PUBLISH
BEGIN:VTIMEZONE
TZID:Europe/Paris
X-LIC-LOCATION:Europe/Paris
BEGIN:DAYLIGHT
TZNAME:CEST
TZOFFSETFROM:+0100
TZOFFSETTO:+0200
DTSTART:19810329T020000
RRULE:FREQ=YEARLY;UNTIL=20370329T010000Z;BYDAY=-1SU;BYMONTH=3
END:DAYLIGHT
BEGIN:STANDARD
TZNAME:CET
TZOFFSETFROM:+0200
TZOFFSETTO:+0100
DTSTART:19961027T030000
RRULE:FREQ=YEARLY;UNTIL=20361026T010000Z;BYDAY=-1SU;BYMONTH=10
END:STANDARD
END:VTIMEZONE
BEGIN:VEVENT
UID:17ffaaac680917ea4c9e1221f0788ff5d8f07d99
DTSTAMP:20240222T054943Z
DTSTART;TZID=Europe/Paris:20240307T180000
DTEND;TZID=Europe/Paris:20240307T192500
SEQUENCE:2
SUMMARY:Guix Patch Review Sessions 2024
TRANSP:OPAQUE
URL:https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/PatchReviewSessions2024
 (London)\, 13:00 EST (New York) and we'll generally try to:\n\n—
 Introduction to someone's patch review process (30 mins)\n— Patch
 review together (1 hour)\n\nThis will be an informal\, friendly and
 interactive environment where anyone can ask questions\, show how they do
 something or make suggestions. It's on-line which restricts things a
 little\, but the goal is to be interactive and learn together.\n\nIf
 there are particular topics or questions you'd like to explore please add
 them below.
CLASS:PUBLIC
CREATED:20240223T060822Z
LAST-MODIFIED:20240223T060822Z
END:VEVENT
END:VCALENDAR

* Re: You're invited to the first patch review session!
@ 2024-02-23 14:59   ` Steve George
From: Steve George @ 2024-02-23 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vagrant Cascadian; +Cc: help-guix, guix-devel

Hi Vagrant,

On 22 Feb, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
> On 2024-02-22, Steve George wrote:
> > We're going to run some online patch review sessions. The first one is on *Thursday, 7th March* and you can sign-up here:
> >
> >   https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/PatchReviewSessions2024
>
> Hoping to make it for some of these, thanks for doing it!
>
> One small point is if people could include the scheduled times in UTC in
> addition to "arbitrary" timezones. It is much easier to compare against
> UTC (especially because it does not do daylight savings time) if you
> don't happen to be in one of the specified timezones. :)
(...)

I've put the UTC time into the Wiki page. The Meet-up page should send you a calendar invite which will be correct for your timezone. And, yeah daylight saving and meeting co-ordination is just *hard*! Look forward to seeing you at some of the sessions!

Steve

* Re: You're invited to the first patch review session!
@ 2024-02-23 19:13 ` Tomas Volf
From: Tomas Volf @ 2024-02-23 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve George; +Cc: help-guix, guix-devel

On 2024-02-22 23:27:31 +0000, Steve George wrote:
> Hi
>
> We're going to run some online patch review sessions. The first one is on *Thursday, 7th March* and you can sign-up here:
>
>   https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/PatchReviewSessions2024
>
> The background is that Guix has many fantastic contributions that are waiting to be reviewed and added to the archive. We have the QA system that does test builds, but each patch also needs to be evaluated and checked. Anyone can review patches, and reviews help to confirm that a patch is in good shape to be added to the archive.
>
> Doing patch reviews is also a great way to learn about Guix, the different packages and methods involved in packaging. To encourage new reviewers to step forward, and to have some fun we're going to run on-line patch review sessions. These will be informal, probably chaotic - but fun - with the aim that we learn as a group how to review packages.
>
> Each session will be hour 1:30 and they are rotating through the week, so there should be plenty of opportunities to come along. We're using the Guix London's Meet-up and the sessions run on Jitsi.

Will the Jitsi link be shared somewhere (here, irc, ...) for those of us who are
not able to sign up on the page?  I am getting this error:

> Your IP address has been flagged as a source of spam and is blocked from
> Meetup.

Since meetup.com is a commercial, third-party service, I assume there is not
anything you can do about that, so I am curious if there are any alternatives
how to get into the review session.

Thank you and have a nice day,
Tomas Volf

--
There are only two hard things in Computer Science:
cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: You're invited to the first patch review session!
@ 2024-02-23 20:43   ` indieterminacy
From: indieterminacy @ 2024-02-23 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve George, help-guix, guix-devel

Hello,

>> On 2024-02-23 19:13, Tomas Volf wrote:
> On 2024-02-22 23:27:31 +0000, Steve George wrote:
> Will the Jitsi link be shared somewhere (here, irc, ...) for those of
> us who are
> not able to sign up on the page?  I am getting this error:
>
>> Your IP address has been flagged as a source of spam and is blocked
>> from
>> Meetup.
>
> Since meetup.com is a commercial, third-party service, I assume there
> is not
> anything you can do about that, so I am curious if there are any
> alternatives
> how to get into the review session.

Well, I did use Mobilizon for the Friday dinner for Guix Days - which
though lacking some features is FOSS and Fediverse tech.
https://mobilizon.nl/events/ee570f76-1898-43ff-88f0-86f18608ff2d

It does permit email (as opposed to registration) to confirm - though I
noticed that only 1 or 2 people actually provided any information for me
to discern them.
... I guess it meant the system reduced the risk of spam signups but
simultaneously didnt enforce accountability to an organiser.

On a legal basis Id assert that the specific instance being based in the
Netherlands would be advantageous than wherever Meetup queries; routes;
and caches.
It is run by some random volunteer, with all the carnets of such trust
domains.

In any case, Im going to try to participate in these events, I reckon it
would be a good compensation for there not being a regular Guix meetup
in Belgium.

Kind regards,

Jonathan

* Re: You're invited to the first patch review session!
@ 2024-02-29 17:10     ` Daniel Littlewood
From: Daniel Littlewood @ 2024-02-29 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: indieterminacy; +Cc: help-guix, guix-devel

HI, just to clear up the timezone issue a bit - I think the ical file
higher up is *not* correct:

* I think the meeting is at 18:00 UTC, which is the same as 18:00 GMT,
which is the same (on March 7th) as 18:00 London time
* I think the libreplanet page says 18:00 BST, which is 17:00 UTC/GMT
and is not an inhabited time zone on March 7th (the switch to BST is
on 31 March). I think the ical file reflects 17:00 UTC.

I'm mostly sending this message to make sure *I'm* not
misunderstanding, as I don't want to miss it :-)
Meetup also says 18:00 GMT.

Dan

* Re: You're invited to the first patch review session!
@ 2024-02-29 17:35       ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2024-02-29 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Littlewood; +Cc: indieterminacy, help-guix, guix-devel

Am Thu, Feb 29, 2024 at 05:10:56PM +0000 schrieb Daniel Littlewood:
> * I think the meeting is at 18:00 UTC, which is the same as 18:00 GMT,
> which is the same (on March 7th) as 18:00 London time
> Meetup also says 18:00 GMT.

Yes, that is the plan!

Andreas

* Re: You're invited to the first patch review session!
@ 2024-03-01 19:11 Suhail
From: Suhail @ 2024-03-01 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve George; +Cc: help-guix, guix-devel

Tomas Volf <~@wolfsden.cz> writes:

> On 2024-02-22 23:27:31 +0000, Steve George wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> We're going to run some online patch review sessions. The first one is on *Thursday, 7th March* and you can sign-up here:
>>
>>   https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/PatchReviewSessions2024

>> Each session will be hour 1:30 and they are rotating through the week, so there should be plenty of opportunities to come along. We're using the Guix London's Meet-up and the sessions run on Jitsi.
>
> Will the Jitsi link be shared somewhere (here, irc, ...) for those of us who are
> not able to sign up on the page?

Could the Jitsi link also be shared on the mailing list and/or noted on
the libreplanet wiki?

--
Suhail

* Re: You're invited to the first patch review session!
@ 2024-03-05 19:19 ` Etienne B. Roesch
From: Etienne B. Roesch @ 2024-03-05 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suhail; +Cc: Steve George, help-guix, guix-devel

Anything we need to have prepared by Thursday?
I imagine a ubuntu vm running with vanilla guix installed is installed?

Etienne

@ 2024-03-06  9:40   ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2024-03-06  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Etienne B. Roesch; +Cc: Suhail, Steve George, help-guix, guix-devel

Hello,

Am Tue, Mar 05, 2024 at 07:19:46PM +0000 schrieb Etienne B. Roesch:
> Anything we need to have prepared by Thursday?
> I imagine a ubuntu vm running with vanilla guix installed is installed?

you should have a means of running Guix, and so that your store gets
populated with recent basic things, I would also suggest to run a
"guix pull". It can be a virtual machine, a full Guix system, or simply
a "foreign" distribution with Guix as a package manager.
(I am not sure what you mean by "is installed"; I do not think Steve
plans to install a machine shared between the participants, please
bring your own!)

Then you should clone the git repository as the basis to apply patches,
as explained here:
   https://guix.gnu.org/en/manual/devel/en/html_node/Contributing.html
I think reading the first two subsections 22.1 and 22.2 is enough to
get started.

Notice that building Guix takes a rather long time; on my oldish laptop
with two cores, about half an hour. So this should be done before.

Looking forward to tomorrow,

Andreas

* Re: You're invited to the first patch review session!
@ 2024-03-06 11:28     ` Tomas Volf
From: Tomas Volf @ 2024-03-06 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge
  Cc: Etienne B. Roesch, Suhail, Steve George, help-guix, guix-devel

On 2024-03-06 10:40:14 +0100, Andreas Enge wrote:

> Looking forward to tomorrow,

I would just like to point out that the link to the jitsi meeting is not on the
wiki page and was not shared here neither (for those of us who have issues with
meetup.com).  I think it was said before the link would be shared somewhere, so
please take this as a reminder (since it is tomorrow already).

Have a nice day,
Tomas Volf

--

@ 2024-03-06 11:36       ` Etienne B. Roesch
From: Etienne B. Roesch @ 2024-03-06 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge, Etienne B. Roesch, Suhail, Steve George, help-guix,
	guix-devel

That's the link I have https://meet.jit.si/london-guix-meetup

Etienne

@ 2024-03-06 11:40         ` Tomas Volf
From: Tomas Volf @ 2024-03-06 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Etienne B. Roesch
  Cc: Andreas Enge, Suhail, Steve George, help-guix, guix-devel

On 2024-03-06 11:36:29 +0000, Etienne B. Roesch wrote:
> That's the link I have https://meet.jit.si/london-guix-meetup

Great, thank you very much, looking forward to tomorrow. :)

Tomas