unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Antioxidant (new rust build system) update - 100% builds
@ 2022-10-29 19:38 Maxime Devos
From: Maxime Devos @ 2022-10-29 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-devel

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 910 bytes --]

Hi,

100% (rounded up) of the packages build with antioxidant, though a very
few still fail to build: <https://ci.guix.gnu.org/eval/749079/dashboard>.

So far, work on antioxidant has been done in a separate channel for
convenience, but given that almost everything builds now, I think it's a
good time to start looking into moving it into Guix proper (initially as
a branch, as there are some remaining TODOs like e.g. 'why are some of
the binaries made with antioxidant larger than with cargo-build-system +
fix that').

More concretely, this would mean changing the 'runtime' transformations
done by 'antioxidant-packages.scm' (in the style of '(guix)Defining
Package Variants') to source code transformations ("guix style").

IIRC, Ludo' has some "guix style" patches for moving #:cargo-inputs to
'inputs' and such; those could perhaps be used as a basis.

Greetings,
Maxime.

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: OpenPGP public key --]

* Re: Antioxidant (new rust build system) update - 100% builds
@ 2022-10-29 20:26 ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2022-10-29 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxime Devos; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Maxime,

This is so great.

It's been downright fun watching antioxidant steadily grow in
power.  Thank you so much for working on it!

Kind regards,

T G-R

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Antioxidant (new rust build system) update - 100% builds
@ 2022-10-31  1:13 ` Csepp
From: Csepp @ 2022-10-31  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxime Devos; +Cc: guix-devel

Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be> writes:

> [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
> Hi,
>
> 100% (rounded up) of the packages build with antioxidant, though a
> very few still fail to build:
> <https://ci.guix.gnu.org/eval/749079/dashboard>.

Heck yeah!  This is some super exciting work. UwU

* Re: Antioxidant (new rust build system) update - 100% builds
@ 2022-11-01 16:28 ` Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2022-11-01 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Am 29.10.22 um 21:38 schrieb Maxime Devos:
> 100% (rounded up) of the packages build with antioxidant, though a
> very few still fail to build:
> <https://ci.guix.gnu.org/eval/749079/dashboard>.

\o/ You are great! Thansk for all the work you've put into this.

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com               |

* Re: Antioxidant (new rust build system) update - 100% builds
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2022-11-02 11:20 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2022-11-02 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxime Devos; +Cc: Guix-devel, Efraim Flashner

Hi!

Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be> skribis:

> 100% (rounded up) of the packages build with antioxidant, though a
> very few still fail to build:
> <https://ci.guix.gnu.org/eval/749079/dashboard>.

Woohoo!!

> So far, work on antioxidant has been done in a separate channel for
> convenience, but given that almost everything builds now, I think it's
> a good time to start looking into moving it into Guix proper
> (initially as a branch, as there are some remaining TODOs like
> e.g. 'why are some of the binaries made with antioxidant larger than
> with cargo-build-system + fix that').
>
> More concretely, this would mean changing the 'runtime'
> transformations done by 'antioxidant-packages.scm' (in the style of
> '(guix)Defining Package Variants') to source code transformations
> ("guix style").
>
> IIRC, Ludo' has some "guix style" patches for moving #:cargo-inputs to
> 'inputs' and such; those could perhaps be used as a basis.

That’s <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/53127> but it probably needs work if
we want it to work reliably on all the packages.  My understanding is
that we’d need a “flag day” where we’d switch all Rust packages to
Antioxydant in one commit, is that correct?  Any ideas how to achieve
the big migration?

Efraim, thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: Antioxidant (new rust build system) update - 100% builds
@ 2022-11-02 11:33   ` Maxime Devos
From: Maxime Devos @ 2022-11-02 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel, Efraim Flashner

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1461 bytes --]

On 02-11-2022 12:20, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> [. ..]
> That’s <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/53127> but it probably needs work if
> we want it to work reliably on all the packages.  My understanding is
> that we’d need a “flag day” where we’d switch all Rust packages to
> Antioxydant in one commit, is that correct?  Any ideas how to achieve
> the big migration?

That's the idea I think, yes.  For this big migration, I propose to make
the "guix style" good enough to do the switch at once (and let
ci.guix.gnu.org build it etc. before merging).

On how to achieve this: the basic antioxidation (e.g. move
#:cargo-inputs to inputs) is currently fully automated (*).  Then there
is stuff like 'add this-input to that-package', which is
'half-automated', in the sense that there are a bunch of declarative
alists for that, interpreted automatically but declared manually; those
could be interpreted by "guix style" as well.

Lastly, there is some more manual things too -- for making packages
build under antioxidant, I sometimes found it convenient to update the
package (which sometimes also required packaging a dependency).  For
those additions and updates, I propose to review+merge them (as
cargo-build-system, not antioxidant-build-system) before the flag day /
running "guix style".

(*) albeit at runtime, no corresponding source code tranformations (guix
style) are written yet.

@ 2022-11-03 15:16     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2022-11-03 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxime Devos; +Cc: Guix-devel, Efraim Flashner

Hi,

Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be> skribis:

> On 02-11-2022 12:20, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> [. ..]
>> That’s <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/53127> but it probably needs work if
>> we want it to work reliably on all the packages.  My understanding is
>> that we’d need a “flag day” where we’d switch all Rust packages to
>> Antioxydant in one commit, is that correct?  Any ideas how to achieve
>> the big migration?
>
> That's the idea I think, yes.  For this big migration, I propose to
> make the "guix style" good enough to do the switch at once (and let
> ci.guix.gnu.org build it etc. before merging).

OK, makes sense.

> On how to achieve this: the basic antioxidation (e.g. move
> #:cargo-inputs to inputs) is currently fully automated (*).  Then
> there is stuff like 'add this-input to that-package', which is
> 'half-automated', in the sense that there are a bunch of declarative
> alists for that, interpreted automatically but declared manually;
> those could be interpreted by "guix style" as well.

Perhaps we could temporarily support the “old style”, using the run-time
transformation currently in your repo?  That would allow third-party
channels to migrate peacefully, and it would also reduce the likely hood
of breakage during transition in Guix (e.g., if an old-style package is
merged while the new branch is being built.)

Anyway, please do ping people here when specific action is needed from
the rest of us!

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: Antioxidant (new rust build system) update - 100% builds
@ 2022-11-05 22:50       ` Maxime Devos
From: Maxime Devos @ 2022-11-05 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel, Efraim Flashner

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 718 bytes --]

On 03-11-2022 16:16, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hi,
>
> [...]
> Perhaps we could temporarily support the “old style”, using the run-time
> transformation currently in your repo?  That would allow third-party
> channels to migrate peacefully, and it would also reduce the likely hood
> of breakage during transition in Guix (e.g., if an old-style package is
> merged while the new branch is being built.)

That would be possible (some copy-pasting, and replacing
(define-public application/c-library/whatever ...)
with (define-public application/c-library/whatever (vitaminate/auto
...)), but "guix refresh -l rust-..." won't be fixed until the source
code changes are done.

@ 2022-11-06  9:14   ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2022-11-06  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Maxime Devos, Guix-devel