unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Outreachy project infrastructure
@ 2018-11-21 13:51 Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-11-21 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati, Guix-devel, Björn Höfling

Hello Laura,

I would like to collect ideas and design decisions regarding the video
documentation creation and translation infrastructure in this thread.

Now we can start thinking about what tools to use, and what parts of
the graph I created eariler should be implemented, and how. Also I
would like to ask you to review that graph, and make any
modifications/clarifications needed.

It would be nice if someone with more exprerience in translating
documentation, or even videos could also comment on this. Anyone?

I attach the graph as reference for any reader who did not follow
earlier discussion to make this mail self contained.

Best regards,
g_bor

[-- Attachment #2: artifactmap-extended.dot --]
[-- Type: application/msword-template, Size: 6095 bytes --]

* Re: Outreachy project infrastructure
@ 2018-11-21 14:37 ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2018-11-21 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi everyone! :)

I'm going back to all the previous emails, and the graph, and write down a
summary in this thread, so that it does not end up messy, and we can
discuss it here. Probably, I will be asking questions also about the graph,
and also writing what we were thinking about the tools that would be used.
Also asking if someone could suggest a tool that they know. I will do my
research, of course, but it is new to me.

I don't like duplicating things, but Gabor's summary was - thank you for
this, I am just quoting it so that we have it in this thread - :

Now that we have our intern announced I would like to bring this
thread back to life.

So regarding the Outreachy Project for Creating Video Documentation
for GNU Guix,
we come to a point where we should set up the priorities:
1. What types of videos should be created first:
a. introducing concepts,
b. practical howtos.
2. What audience to target:
a. people not yet interested in guix
b. people new to guix
c. users
d. developers.
3. What topics to cover first.

What we have so far:

Based on Julien's suggestions:
* Focus on more practical howtos aimed at people new to guix.
** installing guix on a foreign distro
** installing guixsd
** using guix: installing, upgrading and removing packages
** guix pull
** MAYBE guix gc
* Developers (not guix, but general devs)
** environments vs profiles
** developing on guixsd
** "getting back to work" when something goes wrong
** roll-back profile, system-profile, guix

Additional questions based on Laura's suggestions:
* Should we aim some videos at contributors?
* Should we create videos related to getting help or troubleshooting?

Regards!
Laura

* Re: Outreachy project infrastructure
@ 2018-11-21 15:19 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2018-11-21 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Gábor,

> Now we can start thinking about what tools to use […]
> It would be nice if someone with more exprerience in translating
> documentation, or even videos could also comment on this. Anyone?

I would like to recommend this workflow:

- create an environment:

    guix environment --ad-hoc inkscape gettext itstool ffmpeg

- create slides in Inkscape (look at existing slides from past talks for
  style inspiration)

- extract texts as gettext template:

    itstool -o slide.pot slide.svg

- initialize translation (e.g. for German):

    msginit --locale=de --input=slide.pot

- translate texts in “de.po”

- compile “de.po” to “de.mo” binary format:

    msgfmt de.po -o de.mo

- use itstool to create a translated SVG:

    itstool -l de -m de.mo drawing.svg -o de/

This can be automated with a Makefile.

Translations themselves don’t have to be created as part of this
project, but the pot files should be uploaded to the
translationproject.org, which is what we already do for other Guix
translations.

Once we’ve got the SVGs we can render them as PNGs in the desired output
format with Inkscape (here as a Makefile rule):

    %.png: %.svg
        inkscape -z --export-dpi=300 --export-png=$@ $<

Then write a simple concat demuxer file for ffmpeg to specify which
slide to show for how long, e.g. this ’durations.txt’:

file 'slide1.png'
duration 5
file 'slide2.png'
duration 1
file 'slide3.png'
duration 3
file 'end.png'
duration 2
file 'end.png'

(According to the ffmpeg docs the last image has to be specified twice,
the second time without a duration.)

Then compile this as a video:

    ffmpeg -f concat -i durations.txt -vsync vfr -pix_fmt yuv420p output.mp4

(The above was taken from here: https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Slideshow)

With a slightly longer invocation we can merge an existing audio file
into the output file (no need for a second call to ffmpeg).

I haven’t given much thought to subtitles yet.  We could use the very
simple “srt” format, which is just plain text, but maybe “usf” is
better.  It has support for styling and Unicode, and its format is XML,
which means that we can use the same tools as above to handle
translations.

What do you think?

Laura, would you like to give this a try and play a little with these
tools to see if this is feasible?  You could take a few of the SVG files
from ./talks/icg-2018 from the guix-maintenance.git repository.  Do you
have a copy of this repository already?

--
Ricardo

* Re: Outreachy project infrastructure
@ 2018-11-21 15:34   ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2018-11-21 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Le 2018-11-21 15:37, Laura Lazzati a écrit :
> Hi everyone! :)
>
> I'm going back to all the previous emails, and the graph, and write
> down a summary in this thread, so that it does not end up messy, and
> we can discuss it here. Probably, I will be asking questions also
> about the graph, and also writing what we were thinking about the
> tools that would be used. Also asking if someone could suggest a tool
> that they know. I will do my research, of course, but it is new to me.

For subtitles, I'd like to recommend using aegisub. We have a package
for
it in Guix, but I'm not entirely sure it is functional. I think we need
document the way to make translations for the video content, the audio
part
and add new subtitles. So I think we have to automate the process as
much
as possible so translators can work on producing the localised content
and get it automatically integrated into a localised version of the
video.

For translating audio, we will probably produce a translated script, so
I'd like to use one of the formats supported by po4a if possible. Since
the content of these files is not going to change often and they won't
have a lot of structure to preserve during translations, it's also
possible to not use a tool like gettext and simply translate files
directly. I don't know.

I think we should also create subtitles for English, so people can
enjoy the video even without audio.

Of course I volonteer for the French translation :)

@ 2018-11-21 20:18   ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2018-11-21 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi again!

I went through past emails and this new ones.

In a previous mail, Bjorn suggested using the wiki -
https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix - for my proposed timeline and the
decisions about the videos. Is it that possible? WDYT?

Some of you also mentioned the hosting ideas, I added that for the last
week of the internship. Should that be a concern now?

As regards the graph, I am still trying to fully understand it. I have the
main idea of having like the video documentation- video, audio, subtitles-
separated in different parts, but I will study it closer to see if I get it
better.

I would like to recommend this workflow:

Thank you very much for the workflow as well as for the suggested tools. I
did not know that slides were created with inkscape :)
I have one question. What about asciinema site for CLI localization? I was
reading more in detail and it says that it is a .json file.

> Translations themselves don’t have to be created as part of this
> project, but the pot files should be uploaded to the
> translationproject.org, which is what we already do for other Guix
> translations.

I thought that we had to at least try if  translations worked, maybe for
only one video. I suggested that when the prototype for the video in
English was accepted by the community, also with the subtitles in English,
then by week 5 I could translate it to Spanish to see if everything worked
fine. I don't mind if Julien wants to do so in French, maybe it is more
useful than Spanish, but I know very little French to check if it works.
However, I  see that the workflow includes the translation of the slides.
Could we try it for the audio and subtitles too?. BTW, who is going to use
their voice for the audios in English? I have no problem, but recall it is
not my mother tongue.

I haven’t given much thought to subtitles yet.  We could use the very
> simple “srt” format, which is just plain text, but maybe “usf” is
> better.  It has support for styling and Unicode, and its format is XML,
> which means that we can use the same tools as above to handle
> translations.

Also thanks to Julien that proposed aegisub. I only knew about the
existence of srt format.

> from ./talks/icg-2018 from the guix-maintenance.git repository.

I did not, I have just cloned it. Should I also clone guix-artwork?

Regards!
Laura

* Re: Outreachy project infrastructure
@ 2018-11-21 22:28     ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2018-11-21 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Laura,

>> I would like to recommend this workflow:
>>
> Thank you very much for the workflow as well as for the suggested tools. I
> did not know that slides were created with inkscape :)

I’ve been using Inkscape for all of my presentations (after exporting to
PDF).  It’s more flexible than software made specifically for
presentations, but the flexibility comes at the cost of convenience
(e.g. in Inkscape you have one file per slide, and to create a slide
deck you need to combine all these files to a single PDF with another
tool like Ghostscript).  In this project I think the flexibility
outweighs these minor drawbacks.

> I have one question. What about asciinema site for CLI localization? I was
> reading more in detail and it says that it is a .json file.

I would advise against using the asciinema *site*, but the tool can be
used to record command line output.  I could not find a tool to convert
the recorded JSON file to a proper video.  If someone can find one then
we could use asciinema for some segments.  (You’d need to use multiple
ffmpeg invocations then to “glue” the slideshow and command line
recording segments together.)

>> Translations themselves don’t have to be created as part of this
>> project, but the pot files should be uploaded to the
>> translationproject.org, which is what we already do for other Guix
>> translations.
>
> I thought that we had to at least try if  translations worked, maybe for
> only one video.

Yes, but since this workflow would be using gettext we already know that
it basically works :)  Translation to Spanish is fine.

> Could we try it for the audio and subtitles too?

If we use the usf format for subtitles we can use gettext / itstool for
the translations of the subtitles as well.  The subtitles also serve as
a narration script, really, so no extra step for translating audio files
is needed — we’d only need a common directory structure to store a
bundle of a subtitle file, audio recording(s), and translated source
files.

> BTW, who is going to use their voice for the audios in English? I have
> no problem, but recall it is not my mother tongue.

Good question!  I don’t know, but we can figure this out later.
Recording and merging the audio track is an almost purely cosmetic step
— the narrator would read the subtitles as they are displayed at the
correct times.  This could be done later in the project, so I wouldn’t
worry about this now.

>> from ./talks/icg-2018 from the guix-maintenance.git repository.
>>
> I did not, I have just cloned it. Should I also clone guix-artwork?

Can’t hurt to clone that too, but it does not contain slides for past
talks.

--
Ricardo

* Re: Outreachy project infrastructure
@ 2018-11-22  1:13       ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2018-11-22  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi!

I’ve been using Inkscape for all of my presentations (after exporting to
> PDF).

Yes, I was surprised, I would have never thought about it for
presentations. I used it for posters, certificates and so on.

> I would advise against using the asciinema *site*

Ok, I take your advice

> Yes, but since this workflow would be using gettext we already know that
> it basically works :)  Translation to Spanish is fine.
>
> If we use the usf format for subtitles we can use gettext / itstool for
> the translations of the subtitles as well.  The subtitles also serve as
> a narration script, really, so no extra step for translating audio files
> is needed — we’d only need a common directory structure to store a
> bundle of a subtitle file, audio recording(s), and translated source
> files.

Wow!  So does the rest agree in using this format?

Can’t hurt to clone that too, but it does not contain slides for past
> talks.

Yes, I know, just asked to know which repos are useful to have. I found
them in  https://savannah.gnu.org/git/?group=guix

Regards :)

* Re: Outreachy project infrastructure
@ 2018-11-22 12:32       ` Thorsten Wilms
From: Thorsten Wilms @ 2018-11-22 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

On 21/11/2018 23.28, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
>> Thank you very much for the workflow as well as for the suggested tools. I
>> did not know that slides were created with inkscape :)

> I’ve been using Inkscape for all of my presentations (after exporting to
> PDF).  It’s more flexible than software made specifically for
> presentations, but the flexibility comes at the cost of convenience
> (e.g. in Inkscape you have one file per slide, and to create a slide
> deck you need to combine all these files to a single PDF with another
> tool like Ghostscript).  In this project I think the flexibility
> outweighs these minor drawbacks.

Years ago, I created dozens of presentations with Impress (then
OpenOffice, now it would be LibreOffice). I shudder at the though of
doing more involved presentations with Inkscape, even though it's my
primary bread and butter tool :)

Impress may quite likely be the most mature and full-featured Free
Software WYSIWYG presentation tool. That said, of course it may seem a
bit clunky and the file format is not suited for versioning and
manipulation from external tools.

Even though Inkscape saves unpacked SVG, it's not version control
friendly, either. AFAIK, Inkscape tends to reorganize more of the SVG
than necessary, when saving after a change.

Main issues I see in using Inkscape for presentations:
1. Lack of master pages (page templates)
2. Lack of text-styles
3. Much harder to see and edit the sequence of pages

On 1: There are at least 2 approaches to achieve a similar feature via
scripting.

On 2: I guess this can be done with CSS.

Inkscape presentation extension "JessyInk" seems to offer helpful
features, but I worry that there's no straight way to get the kind of
export out of it, that you need.
http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL/html/Extensions-JessyInk.html

Still, the concept of using several layers in one file might be
worthwhile. An export script could toggle layer visibility before
calling inkscape with --export-ps (or -png or -pdf). I recently did
something like that, where the central bash script line is:

xmlstarlet ed -P -S -L -u "//_:g[@inkscape:label='templates']/@style" -v
display:none $file

That is: Edit the file in-place and set the display attribute of a group
that has the label 'templates' to none. Thus the layer won't appear in
export.

Instead of bash and xmlstarlet, a Racket or Guile script may end up
longer, but more readable :)

Looking for a Guile presentation tool, I found out that Andy Wingo went
down that route and further:
https://wingolog.org/archives/2007/07/11/fold-xml-presentations

For maximal version-control-friendliness and guaranteed consistency, one
would have to opt for entirely script-driven slide generation. Aside of
something Latex-based, there's:
https://wingolog.org/projects/guile-present/doc/
https://docs.racket-lang.org/slideshow/

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/

* Re: Outreachy project infrastructure
@ 2018-11-22 13:12         ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2018-11-22 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: t_w_; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Thorsten,

> On 21/11/2018 23.28, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
>>> Thank you very much for the workflow as well as for the suggested tools. I
>>> did not know that slides were created with inkscape :)
>
>> I’ve been using Inkscape for all of my presentations (after exporting to
>> PDF).  It’s more flexible than software made specifically for
>> presentations, but the flexibility comes at the cost of convenience
>> (e.g. in Inkscape you have one file per slide, and to create a slide
>> deck you need to combine all these files to a single PDF with another
>> tool like Ghostscript).  In this project I think the flexibility
>> outweighs these minor drawbacks.
>
> Years ago, I created dozens of presentations with Impress (then
> OpenOffice, now it would be LibreOffice). I shudder at the though of
> doing more involved presentations with Inkscape, even though it's my
> primary bread and butter tool :)
>
> Impress may quite likely be the most mature and full-featured Free
> Software WYSIWYG presentation tool. That said, of course it may seem a
> bit clunky and the file format is not suited for versioning and
> manipulation from external tools.
[…]
> Main issues I see in using Inkscape for presentations:
> 1. Lack of master pages (page templates)
> 2. Lack of text-styles
> 3. Much harder to see and edit the sequence of pages

For live presentations I would agree with you, but for our videos
presentation features (like slide transitions, templates, bullet lists,
etc) are much less important than the flexibility and expressivity
provided by an SVG drawing tool like Inkscape.

I’d be a little disappointed if the video looked like it came straight
out of Powerpoint / Impress ;)

> Still, the concept of using several layers in one file might be
> worthwhile. An export script could toggle layer visibility before
> calling inkscape with --export-ps (or -png or -pdf).

This can easily get crowded, in my experience, as pretty slides are
sometimes much more easily edited and laid out with the help of multiple
layers.

I think it’s easier to handle separate files in the Makefile, but your
snippet could come in handy in case we end up using just one layered SVG
file in the end.

Thank you!

--
Ricardo

* Re: Outreachy project infrastructure
@ 2018-11-22 14:23           ` Thorsten Wilms
From: Thorsten Wilms @ 2018-11-22 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

On 22/11/2018 14.12, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
>> Still, the concept of using several layers in one file might be
>> worthwhile. An export script could toggle layer visibility before
>> calling inkscape with --export-ps (or -png or -pdf).

> This can easily get crowded, in my experience, as pretty slides are
> sometimes much more easily edited and laid out with the help of multiple
> layers.

Layers can be nested.

> I think it’s easier to handle separate files in the Makefile, but your
> snippet could come in handy in case we end up using just one layered SVG
> file in the end.

Yes, from that perspective it's certainly easier to have separate files.

--

@ 2018-11-22 20:11     ` Björn Höfling
From: Björn Höfling @ 2018-11-22 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel, Ludovic Courtès

On Wed, 21 Nov 2018 17:18:54 -0300
Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi again!
>
> I went through past emails and this new ones.
>
> In a previous mail, Bjorn suggested using the wiki -
> https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix - for my proposed timeline
> and the decisions about the videos. Is it that possible? WDYT?

Ludo, Ricardo,

what do you think of this idea?

I like storing the information at a central place where it gets
collected and condensed, on the mailing list it is quickly lost in
history.

But is libreplanet wiki suitable for this? Or if not, is there any
alternative?

Ricardo, I like your idea as a first thing to do.

Concerning the graph, I'm also struggling with it ;-)

Björn

* Re: Outreachy project infrastructure
@ 2018-11-23  1:54       ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2018-11-23  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Björn Höfling; +Cc: Guix-devel, ludo

Hi everyone!

> I like storing the information at a central place where it gets
> collected and condensed, on the mailing list it is quickly lost in
> history.

Yes, me too, that is why I was suggesting it, wherever that is possible :).

Concerning the graph, I'm also struggling with it ;-)

Yes me too :) These days I will be switching between reading the
documentation more carefully to see what information is more relevant for
creating the videos, playing with guix commands I have not tried yet, and
also playing with the suggested tools for creating the videos.

Regards!
Laura

* Re: Outreachy project infrastructure
@ 2018-11-23  9:04       ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2018-11-23  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Björn Höfling; +Cc: Guix-devel, Ludovic Courtès

Björn Höfling <bjoern.hoefling@bjoernhoefling.de> writes:

> On Wed, 21 Nov 2018 17:18:54 -0300
> Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi again!
>>
>> I went through past emails and this new ones.
>>
>> In a previous mail, Bjorn suggested using the wiki -
>> https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix - for my proposed timeline
>> and the decisions about the videos. Is it that possible? WDYT?
>
> Ludo, Ricardo,
>
> what do you think of this idea?

I think this is fine.

--
Ricardo

* Re: Outreachy project infrastructure
@ 2018-11-23 10:24         ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-11-23 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: Guix-devel, ludo

Hello guix,

To reduce confusion I propose to focus on the graph when the need
arises to make the process more structured.
Also that was created when I had programmed screen recordings in mind,
so the presentation style videos do not map well to it.
It also has several repeating subgraphs, so if we need that I will
refactor the graph to have reusable components.

It would be nice if someone with more experience in keeping a video
editing project tractable could comment on how to
get narration, slides and screen recordings to the same video with ease.

I would propose the following: do not show slides and screen recording
at the same time, and make a transition between them
when we switch. Have the narrator optionally overlaid onto the video
(for example in the bottom right corner), and make the narrator
screen the video when we have neither screen recording nor slides to
show. Select a placeholder image for this when the narrator video
is not provided for the given locale. Making this optional will help
to get these translated incrementally. WDYT?

Best regards,
g_bor

* Re: Outreachy project infrastructure
@ 2018-11-23 11:01           ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2018-11-23 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel, ludo

Hi Gábor,

> I would propose the following: do not show slides and screen recording
> at the same time, and make a transition between them
> when we switch.

The slides are turned into a video segment; the terminal session
recordings as well.  The final step is just to concatenate them to a
single video track.  This can be done with ffmpeg.  All of these
segments would be silent.  A single narration audio file is then merged
as the audio track.

> Have the narrator optionally overlaid onto the video
> (for example in the bottom right corner), and make the narrator
> screen the video when we have neither screen recording nor slides to
> show.

My preference is to not have a video of the narrator at all, actually.
This avoids problems of embedding / overlaying video without obscuring
the content, recording quality differences, etc.  I think for 3 minute
videos the slide content / terminal session recordings would be
sufficient.

--
Ricardo

* Re: Outreachy project infrastructure
@ 2018-11-23 11:38             ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-11-23 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: Guix-devel, ludo

Hello Ricardo,

Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> ezt írta (időpont: 2018. nov. 23.,
P, 12:02):

> Hi Gábor,
>
> > I would propose the following: do not show slides and screen recording
> > at the same time, and make a transition between them
> > when we switch.
>
> The slides are turned into a video segment; the terminal session
> recordings as well.  The final step is just to concatenate them to a
> single video track.  This can be done with ffmpeg.  All of these
> segments would be silent.  A single narration audio file is then merged
> as the audio track.

Ok, that is manageable. I would still consider some transition to make it more
visually appealing. we can use for example the fade filter or similar.

> > Have the narrator optionally overlaid onto the video
> > (for example in the bottom right corner), and make the narrator
> > screen the video when we have neither screen recording nor slides to
> > show.
>
> My preference is to not have a video of the narrator at all, actually.
> This avoids problems of embedding / overlaying video without obscuring
> the content, recording quality differences, etc.  I think for 3 minute
> videos the slide content / terminal session recordings would be
> sufficient.

It is definitely easier that way, and we can make a lot of simplifying
assumptions.
I would still consider having a placeholder image to cover for the
possibility that
there might be parts where no slide or screen recording is shown. But we might
make it a policy to always show something. WDYT?

> --
> Ricardo

Best regards,
g_bor

* Re: Outreachy project infrastructure
@ 2018-11-23 12:27               ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2018-11-23 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel, ludo

Hi Gábor,

> I would still consider having a placeholder image to cover for the
> possibility that there might be parts where no slide or screen
> recording is shown. But we might make it a policy to always show
> something. WDYT?

There should always be something on the screen.  If the topic changes
and the previous frame is no longer relevant then there really should be
a new slide.  Sometimes it can be enough to “echo” a question that is
spoken in the narration and display it as a slide.

The exact approach depends on the video, but a well-written script will
ensure that the flow of information will not introduce awkward gaps in
the way the material is presented.

--
Ricardo

* Re: Outreachy project infrastructure
@ 2018-11-25 23:08         ` Björn Höfling
From: Björn Höfling @ 2018-11-25 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: Guix-devel, Ludovic Courtès

On Fri, 23 Nov 2018 10:04:02 +0100
Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:

> Björn Höfling <bjoern.hoefling@bjoernhoefling.de> writes:
>
> > On Wed, 21 Nov 2018 17:18:54 -0300
> > Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi again!
> >>
> >> I went through past emails and this new ones.
> >>
> >> In a previous mail, Bjorn suggested using the wiki -
> >> https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix - for my proposed timeline
> >> and the decisions about the videos. Is it that possible? WDYT?
> >
> > Ludo, Ricardo,
> >
> > what do you think of this idea?
>
> I think this is fine.

I created a first start here:

https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/Video_Documentation

Laura, I saw you already have an account for libreplanet. Feel free to
go on editing this page. I really just copy/pasted Ricardos email here.

Björn

* Re: Outreachy project infrastructure
@ 2018-11-26  0:30           ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2018-11-26  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Björn Höfling; +Cc: Guix-devel, ludo

> Laura, I saw you already have an account for libreplanet. Feel free to
> go on editing this page. I really just copy/pasted Ricardos email here.
>
>  Great! Yes, I created it to edit the file about attending to FOSDEM, was
that wrong?
And thanks!

Regards :)
Laura

* Re: Outreachy project infrastructure
@ 2018-11-26 14:07             ` Björn Höfling
From: Björn Höfling @ 2018-11-26 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel, ludo

On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 21:30:03 -0300
Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Laura, I saw you already have an account for libreplanet. Feel free
> > to go on editing this page. I really just copy/pasted Ricardos
> > email here.
> >
> >  Great! Yes, I created it to edit the file about attending to
> > FOSDEM, was
> that wrong?

Not all all. I'm only (positively) surprised how quick you are and how
much you do on your own.

Björn

* Re: Outreachy project infrastructure
@ 2018-11-26 15:40               ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2018-11-26 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Björn Höfling; +Cc: Guix-devel, ludo

Not all all. I'm only (positively) surprised how quick you are and how
> much you do on your own.

Oh, thank you :) I though I was writing too much for help. And sometimes I
get a little bit discouraged by the timezone, we have around 4 hs
difference, and maybe when I get up you are already at midday.
I will be doing several things this week: I will be getting help with the
trip, I would like to make a new post to my blog about the pre-internship
experience, if it is ok, I would like to post that I will be attending
Guix-Days and FOSDEM.
I have taken a quick look to the wiki on libreplanet for video
documentation. I find it similar to Readmine somehow. Is it OK to add
internal links for my proposed timeline, for example, even though it will
be changing in the future, and other discussion stuff related to it?

Regards and thank you for your compliment again :)
Laura

* Re: Outreachy project infrastructure
@ 2018-11-29 15:19           ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2018-11-29 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Björn Höfling; +Cc: Guix-devel, ludo

Hi everybody

> Laura, I saw you already have an account for libreplanet. Feel free to
> go on editing this page. I really just copy/pasted Ricardos email here.

Is it OK if I add the discussion about videos to be created, even they
don't match exactly my proposed timeline? My timeline is also changing for
instance for attending Guix Days and FOSDEM.
Regards :)

* Re: Outreachy project infrastructure
@ 2018-11-29 15:36             ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2018-11-29 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel, ludo

Hi Laura,

>> Laura, I saw you already have an account for libreplanet. Feel free to
>> go on editing this page. I really just copy/pasted Ricardos email here.
>>
> Is it OK if I add the discussion about videos to be created, even they
> don't match exactly my proposed timeline? My timeline is also changing for
> instance for attending Guix Days and FOSDEM.

Yes, that’s fine.  When the timeline does change eventually you just
need to keep in touch with the mentors to make sure they agree with the
changes.

What’s on the wiki page does not necessarily have to correspond with
your actual plans.

--
Ricardo