unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Where is the packaging request backlog
@ 2020-05-09 19:38 Josh Marshall
From: Josh Marshall @ 2020-05-09 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello all,

I'm trying to package watchman and have been poking at it for some weeks.
Things are getting a little large and more dependent packages are needed.
And this is still a spin off from me trying to update django which will
cause another huge backlog of package updates and additions.  I'd like some
more official way to track what code needs packaging and in what order.  Is
there something for this?

* Re: Where is the packaging request backlog
@ 2020-05-14  8:19 ` Christopher Baines
From: Christopher Baines @ 2020-05-14  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josh Marshall; +Cc: guix-devel

Josh Marshall <joshua.r.marshall.1991@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm trying to package watchman and have been poking at it for some weeks.
> Things are getting a little large and more dependent packages are needed.
> And this is still a spin off from me trying to update django which will
> cause another huge backlog of package updates and additions.  I'd like some
> more official way to track what code needs packaging and in what order.  Is
> there something for this?

I sympathise, both with the rabbit hole you're going down, but also the
issue around tracking all the work and interdependencies.

My personal advice would be to file some bugs on debbugs.gnu.org against
the guix-patches package, which is the approach for tracking patch
submissions. Even if you don't have a patch to send yet, but are working
on one, it still might be useful to have a bug open, as that indicates
to others that there might be a patch available soon.

You can mark bugs as "More information needed", which I've been using at
least to categorise bugs that lack a patch, or where the patch won't be
ready to merge for a little while. You can also mark one bug as blocking
another.

I'm also personally interested in getting Django 2 and 3 in to Guix, so
let me know how that's going :)

Thanks,

Chris

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Where is the packaging request backlog
@ 2020-05-14 17:48   ` Josh Marshall
From: Josh Marshall @ 2020-05-14 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Baines; +Cc: guix-devel

If that is an appropriate use, I'll go with that.  Prepare for a few
hundred reports.

@ 2020-05-14 19:36     ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2020-05-14 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josh Marshall; +Cc: guix-devel

Il giorno gio 14 mag 2020 alle ore 19:49 Josh Marshall <
joshua.r.marshall.1991@gmail.com> ha scritto:

> If that is an appropriate use, I'll go with that.  Prepare for a few
> hundred reports.

Not long ago I was suggested this one (I even added a package to be
packaged)
https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/Wishlist

it seems to be more coarse grained than what you're thinking about, though

I don't know

* Re: Where is the packaging request backlog
@ 2020-05-14 21:05       ` Josh Marshall
From: Josh Marshall @ 2020-05-14 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: guix-devel