unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Outreachy contribution & guidance with guile.
@ 2020-10-28 12:57 Aniket Patil
From: Aniket Patil @ 2020-10-28 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

I sent patches for gnu/packages/cran.scm. I am planning to add more
variables to cran.scm file. Meanwhile, I am writing my final outreachy
application. I am thinking about translating guix or gnu docs in Indian
languages, which I know. Also, as an emacs user, who is trying to
understand lisp to get comfortable around emacs, I was a bit confused
about whether shall I learn lisp first or guile first? What do you suggest?

Aniket Patil.

* Re: Outreachy contribution & guidance with guile.
@ 2020-10-28 14:27 ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-10-28 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aniket Patil, guix-devel

Hi,

On Wed, 28 Oct 2020 at 18:27, Aniket Patil <aniket112.patil@gmail.com> wrote:
> I sent patches for gnu/packages/cran.scm. I am planning to add more
> variables to cran.scm file. Meanwhile, I am writing my final outreachy
> application. I am thinking about translating guix or gnu docs in Indian
> languages, which I know. Also, as an emacs user, who is trying to
> understand lisp to get comfortable around emacs, I was a bit confused
> about whether shall I learn lisp first or guile first? What do you suggest?

Nice!  Thank you.

About translation, you should discuss with Julien (roptat) because they
is managing a new Weblate to help in this area.

About learning Lisp, Emacs Lisp or Scheme/Guile, the answer depends on
your background about programming: Do you already know a language?  If
yes, which one?  Did you do « Scientific Programming » (applied maths, e.g.,
linear algebra &co.) or « Algorithmic Programming » (e.g., implement
sort, tree, data structure, etc.)?

With no Lisp background, pedestrian material about Emacs Lisp:

  <https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_mono/eintr.html>

and about Scheme/Racket:

  <https://htdp.org/2020-8-1/Book/index.html>

otherwise, suggestion really depends on the above questions. :-)

All the best,
simon

* Re: Outreachy contribution & guidance with guile.
@ 2020-10-28 14:37 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-10-28 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aniket Patil; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello Aniket,

Aniket Patil <aniket112.patil@gmail.com> skribis:

> I sent patches for gnu/packages/cran.scm. I am planning to add more
> variables to cran.scm file. Meanwhile, I am writing my final outreachy
> application.

Great!

> I am thinking about translating guix or gnu docs in Indian languages,
> which I know.

Translation work is happening via the Translation Project.  See
<https://translationproject.org/domain/guix-manual.html> for the Guix
manual (I think few GNU manuals are available for translations apart
from this one).

Several people on this list are involved in translation, and Arun Isaac
took care of the Tamil translation of the Shepherd, so surely you can
get guidance on this from people here.

> Also, as an emacs user, who is trying to understand lisp to get
> comfortable around emacs, I was a bit confused about whether shall I
> learn lisp first or guile first? What do you suggest?

Guix itself is written in Guile Scheme.  Scheme is a member of the “Lisp
family” of programming languages, and so is Emacs Lisp (the language
used in Emacs).

There are “dialectic” differences, such as different function names, but
also deeper changes, such as a single name space for both “normal”
variables and procedures in Scheme as well as a focus on “functional
programming” in Scheme whereas Emacs Lisp is more biased towards
imperative programming.

I’m very much biased :-), but I think that Scheme is a bit easier to
learn.

If you’re going to write code for Emacs, Emacs Lisp is what you should
learn; if you’re going to write code for Guix, learn Scheme.  Either
way, despite their differences, you’ll find it rather easy to learn one
once you know the other.

Ludo’.

* Re: Outreachy contribution & guidance with guile.
@ 2020-10-28 15:01   ` Aniket Patil
From: Aniket Patil @ 2020-10-28 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Thank you for providing information.

@ 2020-10-29  4:33   ` Arun Isaac
From: Arun Isaac @ 2020-10-29  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès, Aniket Patil; +Cc: guix-devel

>> I am thinking about translating guix or gnu docs in Indian languages,
>> which I know.
>
> Several people on this list are involved in translation, and Arun Isaac
> took care of the Tamil translation of the Shepherd, so surely you can
> get guidance on this from people here.

Yes, I'd be happy to help. I am proficient only in Tamil, but feel free
to CC me on anything concerning translation to Indian languages.

Cheers!

* Re: Outreachy contribution & guidance with guile.
@ 2020-10-29 16:37     ` Aniket Patil
From: Aniket Patil @ 2020-10-29 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arun Isaac; +Cc: guix-devel