Thank you for providing information. On Wed, 28 Oct 2020 at 8:07 PM, Ludovic Courtès wrote: > Hello Aniket, > > Aniket Patil skribis: > > > I sent patches for gnu/packages/cran.scm. I am planning to add more > > variables to cran.scm file. Meanwhile, I am writing my final outreachy > > application. > > Great! > > > I am thinking about translating guix or gnu docs in Indian languages, > > which I know. > > Translation work is happening via the Translation Project. See > for the Guix > manual (I think few GNU manuals are available for translations apart > from this one). > > Several people on this list are involved in translation, and Arun Isaac > took care of the Tamil translation of the Shepherd, so surely you can > get guidance on this from people here. > > > Also, as an emacs user, who is trying to understand lisp to get > > comfortable around emacs, I was a bit confused about whether shall I > > learn lisp first or guile first? What do you suggest? > > Guix itself is written in Guile Scheme. Scheme is a member of the “Lisp > family” of programming languages, and so is Emacs Lisp (the language > used in Emacs). > > There are “dialectic” differences, such as different function names, but > also deeper changes, such as a single name space for both “normal” > variables and procedures in Scheme as well as a focus on “functional > programming” in Scheme whereas Emacs Lisp is more biased towards > imperative programming. > > I’m very much biased :-), but I think that Scheme is a bit easier to > learn. > > If you’re going to write code for Emacs, Emacs Lisp is what you should > learn; if you’re going to write code for Guix, learn Scheme. Either > way, despite their differences, you’ll find it rather easy to learn one > once you know the other. > > Ludo’. >