unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* A few thing we might consider hosting
@ 2017-12-02 16:28 Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2017-12-02 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-devel

Sometimes while working in guix I run into problems because:
1. a tarball was removed or modified upstream

It would be great to have the ability to install the latest release in all
the supported ways on all supported architectures, and have the ability do
guix pull without problems.
Last time I tried that it did not worked, because one of the upstream
linux-libre tarballs was removed. It would be nice if we could afford to
host the sources, so that at lesat a bare-bones guixsd suffered no such
problems.

2. some packages take very long time to build (notably guile)

It would be nice, if we could provide the substitutes that the current
core-updates gnu-build-system needs. That would make development that needs
to be done on core-updates much more pleasant to those who are working in a
restricted hardware environment.

WDYT?

* Re: A few thing we might consider hosting
@ 2017-12-02 23:29 ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2017-12-02 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Sat, Dec 02, 2017 at 05:28:51PM +0100, Gábor Boskovits wrote:
> Sometimes while working in guix I run into problems because:
> 1. a tarball was removed or modified upstream
>
> It would be great to have the ability to install the latest release in all
> the supported ways on all supported architectures, and have the ability do
> guix pull without problems.
> Last time I tried that it did not worked, because one of the upstream
> linux-libre tarballs was removed. It would be nice if we could afford to
> host the sources, so that at lesat a bare-bones guixsd suffered no such
> problems.

We actually do host the sources, but Guix usually tries fetching them
from upstream first, which can be annoying. We are discussing this here:

<https://bugs.gnu.org/28659>

> 2. some packages take very long time to build (notably guile)
>
> It would be nice, if we could provide the substitutes that the current
> core-updates gnu-build-system needs. That would make development that needs
> to be done on core-updates much more pleasant to those who are working in a
> restricted hardware environment.

We use the core-updates branch like this:

1) For a couple months we just push changes to core packages to the
branch without worrying about if it works or not.
2) After some time, we try building the branch and fix everything that
is broken. Once that is done, we merge it into the master branch, which
is what `guix pull` uses by default.

So, for most of the life of a core-updates branch, it's likely that no
packages will be buildable, and thus we don't even try, so there are no
substitutes.

Once we start building it, substitutes are available in the normal way.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: A few thing we might consider hosting
@ 2017-12-03  7:19   ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2017-12-03  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: Guix-devel

Ok, thanks for clarification.

@ 2017-12-03  7:21     ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2017-12-03  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: Guix-devel

I was aware of the discussion thread, however I could not find out what the
current state is? Do we plan to modify this behaviour in the next release?

The core-updates thing makes sense, thanks.

@ 2017-12-04 18:18       ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2017-12-04 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Sun, Dec 03, 2017 at 08:21:35AM +0100, Gábor Boskovits wrote:
> I was aware of the discussion thread, however I could not find out what the
> current state is? Do we plan to modify this behaviour in the next release?

I think the current state is "awaiting feedback" :)