Ok, thanks for clarification. I 2017-12-03 0:29 GMT+01:00 Leo Famulari : > On Sat, Dec 02, 2017 at 05:28:51PM +0100, Gábor Boskovits wrote: > > Sometimes while working in guix I run into problems because: > > 1. a tarball was removed or modified upstream > > > > It would be great to have the ability to install the latest release in > all > > the supported ways on all supported architectures, and have the ability > do > > guix pull without problems. > > Last time I tried that it did not worked, because one of the upstream > > linux-libre tarballs was removed. It would be nice if we could afford to > > host the sources, so that at lesat a bare-bones guixsd suffered no such > > problems. > > We actually do host the sources, but Guix usually tries fetching them > from upstream first, which can be annoying. We are discussing this here: > > > > > 2. some packages take very long time to build (notably guile) > > > > It would be nice, if we could provide the substitutes that the current > > core-updates gnu-build-system needs. That would make development that > needs > > to be done on core-updates much more pleasant to those who are working > in a > > restricted hardware environment. > > We use the core-updates branch like this: > > 1) For a couple months we just push changes to core packages to the > branch without worrying about if it works or not. > 2) After some time, we try building the branch and fix everything that > is broken. Once that is done, we merge it into the master branch, which > is what `guix pull` uses by default. > > So, for most of the life of a core-updates branch, it's likely that no > packages will be buildable, and thus we don't even try, so there are no > substitutes. > > Once we start building it, substitutes are available in the normal way. >