unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Seeking Outreachy internship project proposals
@ 2019-08-27 11:18 Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2019-08-27 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-devel

GNU Guix is participating in the Outreachy internship program. Outreachy's
goal is to support people from groups underrepresented in the technology
industry. Interns will work remotely with mentors from our community.

We are seeking mentors to propose projects that Outreachy interns can work
on during their internship.

Sept. 24, 2019 at 4 pm UTC is the deadline to submit projects:
https://www.outreachy.org/communities/cfp/gnu-guix/

If you want help crafting your project proposal, please contact the GNU
Guix coordinators: "Gábor Boskovits" <boskovits@gmail.com>, or response to
this thread on the mailing list, as we might be give feedback faster.
Project ideas are also open for discussion on the Guix IRC channel.

Mentors should read the mentor FAQ:
https://www.outreachy.org/mentor/mentor-faq

Full details about the Outreachy program and the internship timeline can be
found on the Call for Participation page on the Outreachy website:

https://www.outreachy.org/communities/cfp/
Best regards,
g_bor

--
OpenPGP Key Fingerprint: 7988:3B9F:7D6A:4DBF:3719:0367:2506:A96C:CF63:0B21

* Re: Seeking Outreachy internship project proposals
@ 2019-08-27 15:20 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-08-27 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi Gábor,

thanks for taking the lead here!

> We are seeking mentors to propose projects that Outreachy interns can work
> on during their internship.
>
> Sept. 24, 2019 at 4 pm UTC is the deadline to submit projects:
> https://www.outreachy.org/communities/cfp/gnu-guix/

I would like to stress that submitting projects for Outreachy
internships is a little more work than just posting a rough project
idea, but the extra work mentors do before the project starts really
pays off in the end.

I encourage people who have a rough project idea to discuss it here and
find other people to co-mentor the project.  It’s much easier to start
mentoring when you know that there are two co-mentors who have your
back.

We did this in a past Outreachy project, and having three co-mentors for
one project meant that it was never a burden on just one person’s
shoulders.

Let’s make this another successful round of Outreachy internships!

--
Ricardo

* Re: Seeking Outreachy internship project proposals
@ 2019-09-03 12:30 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2019-09-03 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello!

Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> skribis:

> GNU Guix is participating in the Outreachy internship program. Outreachy's
> goal is to support people from groups underrepresented in the technology
> industry. Interns will work remotely with mentors from our community.
>
> We are seeking mentors to propose projects that Outreachy interns can work
> on during their internship.
>
> Sept. 24, 2019 at 4 pm UTC is the deadline to submit projects:
> https://www.outreachy.org/communities/cfp/gnu-guix/

Gábor, what about writing a blog post for the web site, with links to
practical info, to blog posts by previous interns, things like that?
We could promote it to maximize visibility.

Thanks for taking care of this, and I hope it’ll be as successful as the

Ludo’.

* Re: Seeking Outreachy internship project proposals
@ 2019-09-03 12:32   ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2019-09-03 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello,

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. szept. 3., K,
14:30):

> Hello!
>
> Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> skribis:
>
> > GNU Guix is participating in the Outreachy internship program.
> Outreachy's
> > goal is to support people from groups underrepresented in the technology
> > industry. Interns will work remotely with mentors from our community.
> >
> > We are seeking mentors to propose projects that Outreachy interns can
> work
> > on during their internship.
> >
> > Sept. 24, 2019 at 4 pm UTC is the deadline to submit projects:
> > https://www.outreachy.org/communities/cfp/gnu-guix/
>
> Gábor, what about writing a blog post for the web site, with links to
> practical info, to blog posts by previous interns, things like that?
> We could promote it to maximize visibility.

Ok, I will look into that later today.

> Thanks for taking care of this, and I hope it’ll be as successful as the
>
> Thanks,
> Ludo’.

Best regards,
g_bor

--

@ 2019-09-03 20:01   ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-09-03 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi!

I just wanted to let you know that even I'm in the process of moving I can
help in writing the blog post for Outreachy and so on if you need :)

Regards :)
Laura

* Re: Seeking Outreachy internship project proposals
@ 2019-09-04 11:45 ` Christopher Baines
From: Christopher Baines @ 2019-09-04 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> writes:

> GNU Guix is participating in the Outreachy internship program. Outreachy's
> goal is to support people from groups underrepresented in the technology
> industry. Interns will work remotely with mentors from our community.
>
> We are seeking mentors to propose projects that Outreachy interns can work
> on during their internship.
>
> Sept. 24, 2019 at 4 pm UTC is the deadline to submit projects:
> https://www.outreachy.org/communities/cfp/gnu-guix/
>
> If you want help crafting your project proposal, please contact the GNU
> Guix coordinators: "Gábor Boskovits" <boskovits@gmail.com>, or response to
> this thread on the mailing list, as we might be give feedback faster.
> Project ideas are also open for discussion on the Guix IRC channel.

Hey,

I'd be happy to mentor someone working on the Guix Data Service.

I'm personally interested in using the Guix Data Service for reviewing
patches, but I think there are too many unknowns regarding this
currently.

One idea I have which I think would make a good project would be to
fully internationalise the application. There's some initial support for
internationalisation now, but there's plenty to do regarding this,
across different areas, like loading in translated strings, and
supporting translations for the web interface itself.

Chris

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Seeking Outreachy internship project proposals
@ 2019-09-04 12:03   ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2019-09-04 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Baines; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello,

Christopher Baines <mail@cbaines.net> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. szept. 4.,
Sze, 13:46):

> I'd be happy to mentor someone working on the Guix Data Service.
>
> I'm personally interested in using the Guix Data Service for reviewing
> patches, but I think there are too many unknowns regarding this
> currently.
>
> One idea I have which I think would make a good project would be to
> fully internationalise the application. There's some initial support for
> internationalisation now, but there's plenty to do regarding this,
> across different areas, like loading in translated strings, and
> supporting translations for the web interface itself.

This is well inside the domain of Outreachy, and I believe it would make a
good project.
Do you need any help to write up a proposal, or with administration, or
registration to the
Outreachy website, please feel free to contact me.

> Chris

Best regards,
g_bor

--

@ 2019-09-04 14:08     ` Christopher Baines
From: Christopher Baines @ 2019-09-04 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel

Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Christopher Baines <mail@cbaines.net> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. szept. 4.,
> Sze, 13:46):
>>
>> I'd be happy to mentor someone working on the Guix Data Service.
>>
>> I'm personally interested in using the Guix Data Service for reviewing
>> patches, but I think there are too many unknowns regarding this
>> currently.
>>
>> One idea I have which I think would make a good project would be to
>> fully internationalise the application. There's some initial support for
>> internationalisation now, but there's plenty to do regarding this,
>> across different areas, like loading in translated strings, and
>> supporting translations for the web interface itself.
>
> This is well inside the domain of Outreachy, and I believe it would make a
> good project.
> Do you need any help to write up a proposal, or with administration, or
> registration to the
> Outreachy website, please feel free to contact me.

I've got an account with Outreachy it seems, shall I go ahead an fill
out the proposal form? Some of the sections will need thinking about,
especially as I'm the sole contributor to the Guix Data Service at the
moment, so there are some things there that need working on in general.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Seeking Outreachy internship project proposals
@ 2019-09-04 20:06       ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2019-09-04 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Baines; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello,

Christopher Baines <mail@cbaines.net> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. szept. 4.,
Sze, 16:09):

> I've got an account with Outreachy it seems, shall I go ahead an fill
> out the proposal form? Some of the sections will need thinking about,
> especially as I'm the sole contributor to the Guix Data Service at the
> moment, so there are some things there that need working on in general.

I have seen the draft proposal you have made. The parts that are filled
look good to me.
I would like to discuss the proposal with Ludo, so that we can have a look
at the options
we have regarding the contributors. Maybe we could go for a tighter
integration with guix...
I will also have a look at the code, so that I am a bit more clear about
that.

Also, please feel free to join the twitter chat on Moday.

Best regards,
g_bor

--

@ 2019-09-05 19:01         ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2019-09-05 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Baines; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello,

Christopher Baines <mail@cbaines.net> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. szept. 4.,
> Sze, 16:09):
>

>> I've got an account with Outreachy it seems, shall I go ahead an fill
>> out the proposal form? Some of the sections will need thinking about,
>> especially as I'm the sole contributor to the Guix Data Service at the
>> moment, so there are some things there that need working on in general.
>>

> I have seen the draft proposal you have made. The parts that are filled
> look good to me.
> I would like to discuss the proposal with Ludo, so that we can have a look
> at the options
> we have regarding the contributors. Maybe we could go for a tighter
> integration with guix...
> I will also have a look at the code, so that I am a bit more clear about
> that.
>
> Also, please feel free to join the twitter chat on Moday.

After discussing this with Ricardo and Ludo, it seems that the way forward
would be to
get the project under the Guix umbrella, like it was done for cuirass. If
you do not oppose,
I would like to ask Ludo to file a request for a sub-repository to
savannah-hackers, so that
we could move the code there. Wdyt?

Also, should you need any help in finding out what to do with the TODO
sections, we could arrange
an appointment on IRC. How does that sound?

Also, Ricardo brought to my attention the following things, that could help
things go more smoothly, while
keeping the intern motivated:

1. keep some low hanging fruits, so that applicants can make their first
contribuitons,
2. divide the project to stages, and set milestones, so that the individual
stages can be evaluated independently,
3. try to pinpoint a preferred outcome (Ricardo paraphrased this as the
mentor should know what is to be done).
 (I thank Ricardo for helpful comments. All errors remain mine.)

Best regards,

@ 2019-09-06  6:55           ` Christopher Baines
From: Christopher Baines @ 2019-09-06  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel

Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Christopher Baines <mail@cbaines.net> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. szept. 4.,
>> Sze, 16:09):
>>

>>> I've got an account with Outreachy it seems, shall I go ahead an fill
>>> out the proposal form? Some of the sections will need thinking about,
>>> especially as I'm the sole contributor to the Guix Data Service at the
>>> moment, so there are some things there that need working on in general.
>>>

>> I have seen the draft proposal you have made. The parts that are filled
>> look good to me.
>> I would like to discuss the proposal with Ludo, so that we can have a look
>> at the options
>> we have regarding the contributors. Maybe we could go for a tighter
>> integration with guix...
>> I will also have a look at the code, so that I am a bit more clear about
>> that.
>>
>> Also, please feel free to join the twitter chat on Moday.
>>

> After discussing this with Ricardo and Ludo, it seems that the way forward
> would be to
> get the project under the Guix umbrella, like it was done for cuirass. If
> you do not oppose,
> I would like to ask Ludo to file a request for a sub-repository to
> savannah-hackers, so that
> we could move the code there. Wdyt?

That works for me :)

I guess this kind of thing relates to the "Project Contribution
Information" part of the proposal. I think there's some other bits of
preparation to do for this, like:

 - Making sure the service is actually running publicly somewhere (maybe
   milano-guix-1 if that's back working, maybe somewhere else if not)

 - Generating a small sample database that can be used for local
   development

 - Writing some step-by-step instructions for running the service
   locally

I'm guessing that it would be ideal to have all this done by the 24th of
September, but it would be good to clarify that?

> Also, should you need any help in finding out what to do with the TODO
> sections, we could arrange
> an appointment on IRC. How does that sound?

Regarding the "Internship Tasks", I have some ideas here that I haven't
written up yet, I also just need to do some more thinking and
investigating. I'm sure if I spend some time looking, I can find some
rough edges in the functionality that would make good small tasks.

I'm not particularly clear on the timeline for this though, does this
need to be done by the 24th of September, or sooner?

> Also, Ricardo brought to my attention the following things, that could help
> things go more smoothly, while
> keeping the intern motivated:
>
> 1. keep some low hanging fruits, so that applicants can make their first
> contribuitons,
> 2. divide the project to stages, and set milestones, so that the individual
> stages can be evaluated independently,
> 3. try to pinpoint a preferred outcome (Ricardo paraphrased this as the
> mentor should know what is to be done).
>  (I thank Ricardo for helpful comments. All errors remain mine.)

I'm hoping that most of this will fall out of working more on defining
various tasks.

The preferred outcome in my mind is twofold:

 - Extend the database schema to support storing translations for
   package synopsis and descriptions

- Add initial support for translating strings within the Guix Data
  Service web interface

Some beginning, and sub-tasks need outlining, and once that is more
understood, hopefully we'll be in a better place to check if the above
is a reasonable goal. I think it would be also good to add some stretch
goals as well.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Seeking Outreachy internship project proposals
@ 2019-09-08  8:28             ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2019-09-08  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Baines; +Cc: Guix-devel

Christopher Baines <mail@cbaines.net> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. szept. 6.,
P, 8:55):

> Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> writes:
>

> > After discussing this with Ricardo and Ludo, it seems that the way
> forward
> > would be to
> > get the project under the Guix umbrella, like it was done for cuirass. If
> > you do not oppose,
> > I would like to ask Ludo to file a request for a sub-repository to
> > savannah-hackers, so that
> > we could move the code there. Wdyt?
>
> That works for me :)
>
> I guess this kind of thing relates to the "Project Contribution
> Information" part of the proposal. I think there's some other bits of
> preparation to do for this, like:
>
>  - Making sure the service is actually running publicly somewhere (maybe
>    milano-guix-1 if that's back working, maybe somewhere else if not)
>
>  - Generating a small sample database that can be used for local
>    development
>
>  - Writing some step-by-step instructions for running the service
>    locally
>
> I'm guessing that it would be ideal to have all this done by the 24th of
> September, but it would be good to clarify that?

It would be nice to have it by the 24th.
I guess we can skip the publicly running instance, if we must.

> > Also, should you need any help in finding out what to do with the TODO
> > sections, we could arrange
> > an appointment on IRC. How does that sound?
>
> Regarding the "Internship Tasks", I have some ideas here that I haven't
> written up yet, I also just need to do some more thinking and
> investigating. I'm sure if I spend some time looking, I can find some
> rough edges in the functionality that would make good small tasks.
>
> I'm not particularly clear on the timeline for this though, does this
> need to be done by the 24th of September, or sooner?

The proposal is just a rough project outline, which can be refined later,
but should be in its final form by the 24, so that applicants reading it
can have a rough estimate of the timeline, and of the milestones.

Having starter tasks defined is actually outside the scope of Outreachy, but
an applicant must have a valid contribution to the project by the time of
intern
selection. These are also very helpful for you to know what it would be
like to with
a given intern. I would say there is no strict timeline on this, but very
much reduces
the communication overhead at the beginning, thus it is easier for you, and
more
attractive to the applicants. Wdyt?

> > Also, Ricardo brought to my attention the following things, that could
> help
> > things go more smoothly, while
> > keeping the intern motivated:
> >
> > 1. keep some low hanging fruits, so that applicants can make their first
> > contribuitons,
> > 2. divide the project to stages, and set milestones, so that the
> individual
> > stages can be evaluated independently,
> > 3. try to pinpoint a preferred outcome (Ricardo paraphrased this as the
> > mentor should know what is to be done).
> >  (I thank Ricardo for helpful comments. All errors remain mine.)
>
> I'm hoping that most of this will fall out of working more on defining
> various tasks.
>
> The preferred outcome in my mind is twofold:
>
>  - Extend the database schema to support storing translations for
>    package synopsis and descriptions
>
> - Add initial support for translating strings within the Guix Data
>   Service web interface

Looks good to me.

> Some beginning, and sub-tasks need outlining, and once that is more
> understood, hopefully we'll be in a better place to check if the above
> is a reasonable goal. I think it would be also good to add some stretch
> goals as well.

Yes, stretch tasks also make sense. Later the applicants will also be asked
a timeline. It is nice if they plan some spare time in their schedule, so
that they
can stay on deadline, and be less stressed about it.

Best regards,
g_bor

--

@ 2019-09-08  8:32             ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2019-09-08  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Baines, Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello,

Christopher Baines <mail@cbaines.net> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. szept. 6.,
P, 8:55):

> Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > After discussing this with Ricardo and Ludo, it seems that the way
> forward
> > would be to
> > get the project under the Guix umbrella, like it was done for cuirass. If
> > you do not oppose,
> > I would like to ask Ludo to file a request for a sub-repository to
> > savannah-hackers, so that
> > we could move the code there. Wdyt?
>
> That works for me :)

Chris, could you provide a title and description for the subrepository, so
that we don't have to file a request again to modify the description once
it is created?
(See the savannah repositories page for examples)

Ludo, could you file a request for a new subrepository for the Guix Data
Service?

Best regards,
g_bor

--

@ 2019-09-08  9:01               ` Christopher Baines
From: Christopher Baines @ 2019-09-08  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel

Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Christopher Baines <mail@cbaines.net> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. szept. 6.,
> P, 8:55):
>

>> Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > After discussing this with Ricardo and Ludo, it seems that the way
>> forward
>> > would be to
>> > get the project under the Guix umbrella, like it was done for cuirass. If
>> > you do not oppose,
>> > I would like to ask Ludo to file a request for a sub-repository to
>> > savannah-hackers, so that
>> > we could move the code there. Wdyt?
>>
>> That works for me :)
>>

> Chris, could you provide a title and description for the subrepository, so
> that we don't have to file a request again to modify the description once
> it is created?
> (See the savannah repositories page for examples)

I'm not sure what the title is, but for the description, I'd say:

  Service to store and provide data about Guix

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Seeking Outreachy internship project proposals
@ 2019-09-08  9:05               ` Christopher Baines
From: Christopher Baines @ 2019-09-08  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel

Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> writes:

> Christopher Baines <mail@cbaines.net> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. szept. 6.,
> P, 8:55):
>

>> Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> writes:
>>

>> > After discussing this with Ricardo and Ludo, it seems that the way
>> forward
>> > would be to
>> > get the project under the Guix umbrella, like it was done for cuirass. If
>> > you do not oppose,
>> > I would like to ask Ludo to file a request for a sub-repository to
>> > savannah-hackers, so that
>> > we could move the code there. Wdyt?
>>
>> That works for me :)
>>
>> I guess this kind of thing relates to the "Project Contribution
>> Information" part of the proposal. I think there's some other bits of
>> preparation to do for this, like:
>>
>>  - Making sure the service is actually running publicly somewhere (maybe
>>    milano-guix-1 if that's back working, maybe somewhere else if not)
>>
>>  - Generating a small sample database that can be used for local
>>    development
>>
>>  - Writing some step-by-step instructions for running the service
>>    locally
>>
>> I'm guessing that it would be ideal to have all this done by the 24th of
>> September, but it would be good to clarify that?
>>

> It would be nice to have it by the 24th.
> I guess we can skip the publicly running instance, if we must.

Since my last email, milano-guix-1 is back online, so for now there is a
public instance at [1]. I'm looking at setting up DNS and other things
so that it's available at data.guix.gnu.org.

1: http://milano-guix-1.di.unimi.it:8765/

>> > Also, should you need any help in finding out what to do with the TODO
>> > sections, we could arrange
>> > an appointment on IRC. How does that sound?
>>
>> Regarding the "Internship Tasks", I have some ideas here that I haven't
>> written up yet, I also just need to do some more thinking and
>> investigating. I'm sure if I spend some time looking, I can find some
>> rough edges in the functionality that would make good small tasks.
>>
>> I'm not particularly clear on the timeline for this though, does this
>> need to be done by the 24th of September, or sooner?
>>

> The proposal is just a rough project outline, which can be refined later,
> but should be in its final form by the 24, so that applicants reading it
> can have a rough estimate of the timeline, and of the milestones.

Ok, that sounds fine.

> Having starter tasks defined is actually outside the scope of Outreachy, but
> an applicant must have a valid contribution to the project by the time of
> intern
> selection. These are also very helpful for you to know what it would be
> like to with
> a given intern. I would say there is no strict timeline on this, but very
> much reduces
> the communication overhead at the beginning, thus it is easier for you, and
> more
> attractive to the applicants. Wdyt?

That all sounds fine to me, I've updated the application with some tasks
which I think would make good initial contributions. I'm not sure how
relevant I can make them to the project (without making them too
complicated), so I've just been looking for small improvements to the
exisiting functionality (mostly specifying JSON responses, where I
haven't).

>> > Also, Ricardo brought to my attention the following things, that could

>> Some beginning, and sub-tasks need outlining, and once that is more
>> understood, hopefully we'll be in a better place to check if the above
>> is a reasonable goal. I think it would be also good to add some stretch
>> goals as well.
>>

> Yes, stretch tasks also make sense. Later the applicants will also be asked
> a timeline. It is nice if they plan some spare time in their schedule, so
> that they
> can stay on deadline, and be less stressed about it.

Sounds good :)

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Seeking Outreachy internship project proposals
@ 2019-09-08 21:15               ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2019-09-08 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Gábor,

Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> skribis:

> Ludo, could you file a request for a new subrepository for the Guix Data
> Service?

Done:

  https://savannah.nongnu.org/support/?109980

Chris, thanks for your proposal!  I think it’s a good idea, both
“strategically” and in terms of being a good fit for an Outreachy
internship.

I agree that having it readily usable at data.guix.gnu.org and having
the code more visible at Savannah will make it easier to get people
started and also to get more feedback from the people around here.

Thank you!

Ludo’.

* Re: Seeking Outreachy internship project proposals
@ 2019-09-11 10:44                 ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2019-09-11 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Baines; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello,

>> > I would like to ask Ludo to file a request for a sub-repository to
> >>
> >> That works for me :)

This is now done.

> >> I guess this kind of thing relates to the "Project Contribution
> >> Information" part of the proposal. I think there's some other bits of
> >> preparation to do for this, like:

I believe you could adopt some of the contribution information from Guix
now,
that this is officially associated with the community. You could also modify
the community information to match with Guix. Does that make sense?

> >>  - Making sure the service is actually running publicly somewhere (maybe
> >>    milano-guix-1 if that's back working, maybe somewhere else if not)

This is also done.

> >>  - Generating a small sample database that can be used for local
> >>    development

This is still needed.

> >>  - Writing some step-by-step instructions for running the service
> >>    locally

Did you have time to do this?

> > The proposal is just a rough project outline, which can be refined later,
> > but should be in its final form by the 24, so that applicants reading it
> > can have a rough estimate of the timeline, and of the milestones.
>
> Ok, that sounds fine.
>
> > Having starter tasks defined is actually outside the scope of Outreachy,
> but
> > an applicant must have a valid contribution to the project by the time of
> > intern
> > selection. These are also very helpful for you to know what it would be
> > like to with
> > a given intern. I would say there is no strict timeline on this, but very
> > much reduces
> > the communication overhead at the beginning, thus it is easier for you,
> and
> > more
> > attractive to the applicants. Wdyt?
>

> That all sounds fine to me, I've updated the application with some tasks
> which I think would make good initial contributions. I'm not sure how
> relevant I can make them to the project (without making them too
> complicated), so I've just been looking for small improvements to the
> exisiting functionality (mostly specifying JSON responses, where I
> haven't).

I have seen the initial tasks, and they look good to me.

> >> Some beginning, and sub-tasks need outlining, and once that is more
> >> understood, hopefully we'll be in a better place to check if the above
> >> is a reasonable goal. I think it would be also good to add some stretch
> >> goals as well.

From the main body of intern tasks, it would be nice to have the goals
stated
a bit more exlicitly, and to divide the work into stages a bit.

> > Yes, stretch tasks also make sense. Later the applicants will also be
> asked
> > a timeline. It is nice if they plan some spare time in their schedule, so
> > that they
> > can stay on deadline, and be less stressed about it.
>
> Sounds good :)

Otherwise the proposal now looks to be in really good shape, so I wiil
approve it
once we have this few points sorted out.

Best regards,
g_bor

--

@ 2019-09-17 15:10                   ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2019-09-17 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Baines; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello Chris,

Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. szept. 11.,
Sze, 12:44):

> Hello,

> This is now done.

> I believe you could adopt some of the contribution information from Guix
> now,
> that this is officially associated with the community. You could also
> modify
> the community information to match with Guix. Does that make sense?

>> (maybe
>> >>

> This is also done.

> This is still needed.

> Did you have time to do this?
>

>> > The proposal is just a rough project outline, which can be refined
>> later,
>> > but should be in its final form by the 24, so that applicants reading it
>> > can have a rough estimate of the timeline, and of the milestones.
>>
>> Ok, that sounds fine.
>>
>> > Having starter tasks defined is actually outside the scope of
>> Outreachy, but
>> > an applicant must have a valid contribution to the project by the time
>> of
>> > intern
>> > selection. These are also very helpful for you to know what it would be
>> > like to with
>> > a given intern. I would say there is no strict timeline on this, but
>> very
>> > much reduces
>> > the communication overhead at the beginning, thus it is easier for you,
>> and
>> > more
>> > attractive to the applicants. Wdyt?
>>

>> That all sounds fine to me, I've updated the application with some tasks
>> which I think would make good initial contributions. I'm not sure how
>> relevant I can make them to the project (without making them too
>> complicated), so I've just been looking for small improvements to the
>> exisiting functionality (mostly specifying JSON responses, where I
>> haven't).
>>

> I have seen the initial tasks, and they look good to me.

>> could

> From the main body of intern tasks, it would be nice to have the goals
> stated
> a bit more exlicitly, and to divide the work into stages a bit.
>

>> > Yes, stretch tasks also make sense. Later the applicants will also be
>> asked
>> > a timeline. It is nice if they plan some spare time in their schedule,
>> so
>> > that they
>> > can stay on deadline, and be less stressed about it.
>>
>> Sounds good :)
>>

> Otherwise the proposal now looks to be in really good shape, so I wiil
> approve it
> once we have this few points sorted out.
>
> Best regards,
> g_bor
>
> --
> OpenPGP Key Fingerprint: 7988:3B9F:7D6A:4DBF:3719:0367:2506:A96C:CF63:0B21

Did you have time to have a look at these?

I still see some missing TODO items on the proposal. Do you need any help?

Best regards,
g_bor
--

@ 2019-09-18  7:33                     ` Christopher Baines
From: Christopher Baines @ 2019-09-18  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel

Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> writes:

> Did you have time to have a look at these?
>
> I still see some missing TODO items on the proposal. Do you need any help?

I'm still working on generating a small database, and writing some
guidance on local development.

I hope to have something that's minimally viable done in the next few
days, and at that point it would be useful to have others test the
process, to see if they can get the Guix Data Service running locally.

Chris

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Seeking Outreachy internship project proposals
@ 2019-09-20  8:19                       ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2019-09-20  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Baines; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello,

Christopher Baines <mail@cbaines.net> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. szept. 18.,
Sze, 9:33):

> Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Did you have time to have a look at these?
> >
> > I still see some missing TODO items on the proposal. Do you need any
> help?

You could adopt the missing parts from the proposal I sent yesterday. I
believe you should
be able to see that. Can you confirm?

It has the communication channels, community etiquett and things like that
filled out.

> I'm still working on generating a small database, and writing some
> guidance on local development.

Can we help you somehow?

> I hope to have something that's minimally viable done in the next few
> days, and at that point it would be useful to have others test the
> process, to see if they can get the Guix Data Service running locally.
>
> Chris

Best regards,
g_bor
--

@ 2019-09-21 12:38                         ` Christopher Baines
From: Christopher Baines @ 2019-09-21 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel

Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Christopher Baines <mail@cbaines.net> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. szept. 18.,
> Sze, 9:33):
>

>> Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > Did you have time to have a look at these?
>> >
>> > I still see some missing TODO items on the proposal. Do you need any
>> help?
>>

> You could adopt the missing parts from the proposal I sent yesterday. I
> believe you should
> be able to see that. Can you confirm?

I can see references to it, but I haven't found a way to view the
content.

>> I'm still working on generating a small database, and writing some
>> guidance on local development.
>
> Can we help you somehow?

I've now got to the point where I've pushed some guidance around local
development. I've also generated some dumps of the database, including a
small dump (under 1GB in size) [1].

The guidance is in the README in the Git repository [2], but I've also
changed the package definition to build a HTML version of the README,
and serve this at [3].

I've also updated the Outreachy project proposal accordingly.

1: http://data.guix.gnu.org/dumps/
2: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/data-service.git/tree/README
3: http://data.guix.gnu.org/README

>> I hope to have something that's minimally viable done in the next few
>> days, and at that point it would be useful to have others test the
>> process, to see if they can get the Guix Data Service running locally.

So, in terms of help, this is now the time. Trying out the instructions
at [3], and reporting any errors or bits that are unclear would be
great. For the purpose of Outreachy, ideally these instructions would be
suitable for anyone who's suitable to do the project, so try and think
about them from that perspective.

Thanks,

Chris

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Seeking Outreachy internship project proposals
@ 2019-09-21 15:55                   ` Christopher Baines
From: Christopher Baines @ 2019-09-21 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel

Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> writes:

> I believe you could adopt some of the contribution information from Guix
> now,
> that this is officially associated with the community. You could also modify
> the community information to match with Guix. Does that make sense?

I haven't yet done this, but yeah, I guess we can change the team
description to maybe say more than 1-2 people.

> This is still needed.

I haven't got this automated yet, but there is some data available at
http://data.guix.gnu.org/dumps/

> Did you have time to do this?

There's an initial version now up at http://data.guix.gnu.org/README
(the contents is in the README in the git repository).

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Seeking Outreachy internship project proposals
@ 2019-09-21 17:47                     ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2019-09-21 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Baines; +Cc: Guix-devel