unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* cmake-build-system: build tests only if #:tests? is true?
@ 2024-03-02 21:16 Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2024-03-02 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-devel

Hi,

I found an old and unfinished patch in my pile. It optimizes building
with cmake by not building the test if "#:tests?" is false. (Basically
it passes -DBUILD_TESTING=OFF/ON" depending on "#:tests?".)

Is this of interest? Then I would take my time and finish the patch.

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com               |

* Re: cmake-build-system: build tests only if #:tests? is true?
@ 2024-03-02 21:23 ` Ekaitz Zarraga
From: Ekaitz Zarraga @ 2024-03-02 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hartmut Goebel, Guix-devel

Hi,

On 2024-03-02 22:16, Hartmut Goebel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I found an old and unfinished patch in my pile. It optimizes building
> with cmake by not building the test if "#:tests?" is false. (Basically
> it passes -DBUILD_TESTING=OFF/ON" depending on "#:tests?".)
>
> Is this of interest? Then I would take my time and finish the patch.

This looks pretty cool but it might rebuild many packages. Or am I
mistaken here? core-updates?

* Re: cmake-build-system: build tests only if #:tests? is true?
@ 2024-03-02 22:22   ` Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2024-03-02 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ekaitz Zarraga; +Cc: Guix-devel

Am 02.03.24 um 22:23 schrieb Ekaitz Zarraga:
> core-updates?

Yes, many, many packages. Thus of course, this would need to go into
core-updates.

--

@ 2024-03-04  3:07 ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2024-03-04  3:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hartmut Goebel; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Hartmut,

Hartmut Goebel <h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I found an old and unfinished patch in my pile. It optimizes building
> with cmake by not building the test if "#:tests?" is false. (Basically
> it passes -DBUILD_TESTING=OFF/ON" depending on "#:tests?".)
>
> Is this of interest? Then I would take my time and finish the patch.

Yes, this looks like a neat improvement.

Maxim

* Re: cmake-build-system: build tests only if #:tests? is true?
@ 2024-03-04 14:10     ` Jean-Pierre De Jesus Diaz
From: Jean-Pierre De Jesus Diaz @ 2024-03-04 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hartmut Goebel; +Cc: Ekaitz Zarraga, Guix-devel

On Sat, Mar 2, 2024 at 10:23 PM Hartmut Goebel
<h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com> wrote:

> Am 02.03.24 um 22:23 schrieb Ekaitz Zarraga:
> > core-updates?
>
> Yes, many, many packages. Thus of course, this would need to go into
> core-updates.
>
> --
> Regards
> Hartmut Goebel
>
> | Hartmut Goebel          | h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com               |
> | www.crazy-compilers.com | compilers which you thought are impossible |

I think another patch would be a good candidate for core-updates if
cmake-build-system is being updated:

https://issues.guix.gnu.org/68366

It is also needed for:

https://issues.guix.gnu.org/69476

Jean-Pierre De Jesus DIAZ
Foundation Devices, Inc.

* Re: cmake-build-system: build tests only if #:tests? is true?
@ 2024-03-04 16:00 ` Greg Hogan
From: Greg Hogan @ 2024-03-04 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hartmut Goebel; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Sat, Mar 2, 2024 at 4:17 PM Hartmut Goebel
<h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I found an old and unfinished patch in my pile. It optimizes building
> with cmake by not building the test if "#:tests?" is false. (Basically
> it passes -DBUILD_TESTING=OFF/ON" depending on "#:tests?".)
>
> Is this of interest? Then I would take my time and finish the patch.

Hi Hartmut,

I have been testing a set of patches (since last summer) based on the
following mailing list discussion (from 2021) to rewrite the
cmake-build-system build, check, and install functions to use cmake
utilities rather than depend on the gnu-build-system. This allows for
parallel tests and a package-defined #:generator.
  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2021-10/msg00055.html

I will submit a patchset shortly for review and if accepted we can
look to combine all the cmake patches for the large rebuild. Perhaps a
version update for cmake-bootstrap (v3.24 released August 2022) at the
same time?

Greg

* Re: cmake-build-system: build tests only if #:tests? is true?
@ 2024-03-04 23:01   ` Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2024-03-04 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Hogan; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Greg,
> I will submit a patchset shortly for review and if accepted we can
> look to combine all the cmake patches for the large rebuild.

Yes, of course we should combine them. May I ask you to take care of it
and include mine, which I just posted:

https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/69554

Many thanks in advance.

--

@ 2024-03-17 17:35     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2024-03-17 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hartmut Goebel; +Cc: Greg Hogan, Guix-devel

Hi,

Hartmut Goebel <h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com> skribis:

>> I will submit a patchset shortly for review and if accepted we can
>> look to combine all the cmake patches for the large rebuild.
>
> Yes, of course we should combine them. May I ask you to take care of
> it and include mine, which I just posted:
>
> https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/69554

Also, isn’t ‘BUILD_TESTING’ a convention rather than a flag CMake always
honors?

Ludo’.

* Re: cmake-build-system: build tests only if #:tests? is true?
@ 2024-03-18  8:55       ` Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2024-03-18  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Greg Hogan, Guix-devel

Am 17.03.24 um 18:35 schrieb Ludovic Courtès:
>> https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/69554
> Also, isn’t ‘BUILD_TESTING’ a convention rather than a flag CMake always
> honors?

Yes, it's more like a convention, as the patch says: "Anyhow, the
CMakeLists.txt needs to implement handling this flag."

Do you want the text in the documentation to be more verbose on this?

--

@ 2024-03-27 15:01     ` Greg Hogan
From: Greg Hogan @ 2024-03-27 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hartmut Goebel; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Mon, Mar 4, 2024 at 6:01 PM Hartmut Goebel
<h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com> wrote:

> Hi Greg,
> > I will submit a patchset shortly for review and if accepted we can
> > look to combine all the cmake patches for the large rebuild.
>
> Yes, of course we should combine them. May I ask you to take care of it
> and include mine, which I just posted:
>
> https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/69554
>
> Many thanks in advance.

I submitted #70031 without including this patch due to the time to
rebuild and test cmake dependencies, but will include in a v2 with any
additional post-review updates.

These patches will need to wait until core-updates is merged to
master, hopefully soon.

Greg