unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Introduce Cuirass and remove Hydra on https://www.gnu.org/software/devel.html
@ 2024-01-08  4:19 Jing Luo
From: Jing Luo @ 2024-01-08  4:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Devel

Hi Guix,

I am Jing Luo, a new member from the GNU webmaster team. I noticed that
gnu.org has a page on "GNU Development Resources" [1], which has a
section about "Hydra: Continuous builds and portability testing". As I
know, Guix now uses Cuirass for CI. The text [1] has not been updated
since 2012. Would anyone on this list be interested in writing something
about Cuirass to replace the Hydra section? Or does anyone have other
ideas about this page? You can send an email to webmasters@gnu (plural!)
or just reply to me.

[1] https://www.gnu.org/software/devel.html

--
Jing Luo
About me: https://jing.rocks/about/

* Re: Introduce Cuirass and remove Hydra on https://www.gnu.org/software/devel.html
@ 2024-03-08 17:41 ` Simon Tournier
From: Simon Tournier @ 2024-03-08 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jing Luo, Guix Devel; +Cc: GNU Guix maintainers, guix-sysadmin, Mark H Weaver

Hi,

Well, I do not see if there is a reply.  If no, sorry!  If yes, I am
just adding my own curiosity. :-)

CC: guix-maintainers and guix-sysadmin
CC: Mark Weaver

On lun., 08 janv. 2024 at 13:19, Jing Luo <jing@jing.rocks> wrote:

> I am Jing Luo, a new member from the GNU webmaster team. I noticed that
> gnu.org has a page on "GNU Development Resources" [1], which has a
> section about "Hydra: Continuous builds and portability testing". As I
> know, Guix now uses Cuirass for CI. The text [1] has not been updated
> since 2012. Would anyone on this list be interested in writing something
> about Cuirass to replace the Hydra section? Or does anyone have other
> ideas about this page? You can send an email to webmasters@gnu (plural!)
> or just reply to me.
>

> [1] https://www.gnu.org/software/devel.html

AFAIK, Hydra is now down.  IIRC, Mark was in charge.  Mark?

The webpage [1] starts with:

        This page describes many of the development resources available
        for GNU developers on GNU Project machines.

Jing Luo, could you provide more details on the purpose of this
webpage?  What is the intent of this webpage?

The Guix project relieson two Continuous Integration systems deployed on
two infrastructures, visible at ci.guix.gnu.org and
bordeaux.guix.gnu.org.  One is indeed Cuirass [2].  The other one is
Build Coordinator [3].

AFAIK, GNU Guile is continuously built on ci.guix but there is no other
GNU projects.  And I do not know if the Guix projects has the capacity
or the resource to host more GNU projects on their infrastructure.

Cheers,
simon

2: https://guix.gnu.org/en/cuirass
3: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/build-coordinator.git

* Re: Introduce Cuirass and remove Hydra on https://www.gnu.org/software/devel.html
@ 2024-03-12  4:15   ` Jing Luo
From: Jing Luo @ 2024-03-12  4:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Tournier
  Cc: Guix Devel, GNU Guix maintainers, guix-sysadmin, Mark H Weaver

On 2024-03-09 02:41, Simon Tournier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Well, I do not see if there is a reply.  If no, sorry!  If yes, I am
> just adding my own curiosity. :-)

Hello :) This was the first reply.

> CC: guix-maintainers and guix-sysadmin
> CC: Mark Weaver
>
> On lun., 08 janv. 2024 at 13:19, Jing Luo <jing@jing.rocks> wrote:
>
>> [...]
>>
>> [1] https://www.gnu.org/software/devel.html
>
> [...]
>
> The webpage [1] starts with:
>
>         This page describes many of the development resources available
>         for GNU developers on GNU Project machines.
>
> Jing Luo, could you provide more details on the purpose of this
> webpage?  What is the intent of this webpage?

This page was created at least 15 years ago. It lists the resources that
a GNU package can use (hosting, testing, mailing list, etc.), since
maintainers are expected to use machines/resources associated with or
managed by GNU, instead of things like github.

For cuirass it would boil down to these questions:

- what is cuirass? how does it work?
- how can other GNU packages use ci.guix? (if they can)

--

@ 2024-03-12 14:22   ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2024-03-12 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Tournier, Jing Luo, Guix Devel; +Cc: GNU Guix maintainers, guix-sysadmin

Simon Tournier <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Well, I do not see if there is a reply.  If no, sorry!  If yes, I am
> just adding my own curiosity. :-)
>
> CC: guix-maintainers and guix-sysadmin
> CC: Mark Weaver
>
> On lun., 08 janv. 2024 at 13:19, Jing Luo <jing@jing.rocks> wrote:
>
>> I am Jing Luo, a new member from the GNU webmaster team. I noticed that
>> gnu.org has a page on "GNU Development Resources" [1], which has a
>> section about "Hydra: Continuous builds and portability testing". As I
>> know, Guix now uses Cuirass for CI. The text [1] has not been updated
>> since 2012. Would anyone on this list be interested in writing something
>> about Cuirass to replace the Hydra section? Or does anyone have other
>> ideas about this page? You can send an email to webmasters@gnu (plural!)
>> or just reply to me.
>>

>> [1] https://www.gnu.org/software/devel.html
>
> AFAIK, Hydra is now down.  IIRC, Mark was in charge.  Mark?

Yes, our instance of Hydra was retired many years ago.  I agree that it
makes sense to remove it from <https://www.gnu.org/software/devel.html>.

      Thanks,
        Mark

* Re: Introduce Cuirass and remove Hydra on https://www.gnu.org/software/devel.html
@ 2024-03-16 15:46     ` Jing Luo
From: Jing Luo @ 2024-03-16 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: Simon Tournier, Guix Devel

On 2024-03-12 23:22, Mark H Weaver wrote:
> Simon Tournier <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> [...]
>>
>> AFAIK, Hydra is now down.  IIRC, Mark was in charge.  Mark?
>
> Yes, our instance of Hydra was retired many years ago.  I agree that it
> makes sense to remove it from
> <https://www.gnu.org/software/devel.html>.
>
>       Thanks,
>         Mark