unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: indieterminacy <indieterminacy@libre.brussels>
To: Simon Tournier <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com>
Cc: MSavoritias <email@msavoritias.me>,
	paul <goodoldpaul@autistici.org>,
	Janneke Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org>,
	Nathan Dehnel <ncdehnel@gmail.com>,
	atai@atai.org, guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: The Giraffe; the Pelican et al (was Re: The e(macs)lephant in the room and the Guix Bang)
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 09:33:50 +0200	[thread overview]

On 25-09-2023 22:35, Simon Tournier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 25 Sep 2023 at 14:13, MSavoritias <email@msavoritias.me> wrote:
>
>> So saying that the people who don't know guile or guix need to first
>> contribute docs is pretty ridiculous.
>
> Why?  Could you explain more why it appears to you “ridiculous”?

My frustration seems to be that a lot of negative energy has been
directed towards Emacs.
It has almost been straying towards anti elitist type discourse (that
one is observing more increasingly in politics) -
*rather* than doOcracy style discourse that there is a problem and
people are capable of autonomously resolving these things.

Emacs has not done something wrong here - it has merely had people who
have had the capacity for exploration and reaching certain goals and
insights then documenting their techniques within the Guix
documentation.

It seems strange that people havent sooner expressed the concept of:
'well, I have this setup in /this/ editor, Ill put it up. Anybody else
want to contribute and fill out gaps X Y and Z?'

It is worth noting that there has been a thread fork, starting this this
subject title which is behaving more maturely and proactively:
RFC: add more setups to Guix docs

Similarly, there have been more sounds regarding Vim which are more
proactive and constructive.

If people want a plurality of editors represented in the documentation
they should be proactive about it, rather than lamenting and using
divisive rhetoric.

--
Jonathan McHugh
indieterminacy@libre.brussels