unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* How would you feel about this derivative logo for Nonguix?
@ 2024-03-06 17:37 Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2024-03-06 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 764 bytes --]

Hi,

Nonguix would like to have a logo. @jonsger contacted me asking if I'd
be interested in helping them with that, based on logo ideas from the
community. I don't use nonguix myself, so I thought I wouldn't have the
motivation to design a logo. But I couldn't help it and suggested to
reuse the GNU Guix logo (which is a free cultural work after all) and
proposed the following designs:

https://gitlab.com/nonguix/nonguix/-/issues/317

That page also mentions the reasoning behind the derivative logo.

I don't see any issue if Nonguix uses such a logo (specially variant
D2), but what do you think about it? They don't want to upset the GNU
Guix community.

Cheers,

--
Luis Felipe López Acevedo
https://luis-felipe.gitlab.io/

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: OpenPGP public key --]

* Re: How would you feel about this derivative logo for Nonguix?
@ 2024-03-06 18:25 ` Ryan Prior
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ryan Prior @ 2024-03-06 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe; +Cc: guix-devel

On Wednesday, March 6th, 2024 at 11:37 AM, Luis Felipe <sirgazil@zoho.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Nonguix would like to have a logo [...] I couldn't help it and suggested to reuse the GNU Guix logo

I like this. There's a clear visual continuity, but with warnings and (in options B-D) part of the Guix horns covered up as well, emphasizing the "non."

I had read rms's "install fest devil" idea and immediately thought of it when I saw your options, even without making the connection that the red line was a tail (I thought it was an arrow pointing left?) - it might be an obscure reference to many but I think your execution was spot on in that regard.

Not that my say-so carries any weight, but one thumbs up from me.

Cheers,
Ryan

* Re: How would you feel about this derivative logo for Nonguix?
@ 2024-03-06 23:30 ` Felix Lechner via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
From: Felix Lechner via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution. @ 2024-03-06 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe, guix-devel

Hi Felipe,

On Wed, Mar 06 2024, Luis Felipe wrote:

> That page also mentions the reasoning behind the derivative logo.

Absolutely gorgeous! I like A1, although in a fit of disrespect I might
have placed the horns upside down like a scorpion...

Great work. The project is very lucky to have you!

Kind regards
Felix

P.S. Please do not use Nonguix if you can avoid it.

* Re: How would you feel about this derivative logo for Nonguix?
@ 2024-03-07 11:06 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2024-03-07 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe; +Cc: guix-devel

Luis Felipe <sirgazil@zoho.com> writes:

> https://gitlab.com/nonguix/nonguix/-/issues/317
>
> That page also mentions the reasoning behind the derivative logo.
>
> I don't see any issue if Nonguix uses such a logo (specially variant
> D2), but what do you think about it? They don't want to upset the GNU
> Guix community.

Variant D2 is my favourite.

I think it would be best to avoid the all-caps look, though, because
we're already losing the fight in correcting people who insist on
writing "GUIX" as if it was an acronym.  "RTOS GUIX" is the name of the
Microsoft thing.

Perhaps the tail could be a little curved towards the end?

--
Ricardo

* Re: How would you feel about this derivative logo for Nonguix?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2024-03-07 15:48 ` Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2024-03-07 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel