unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* How to handle package udev rules?
@ 2021-12-12 12:12 Alexander Asteroth
From: Alexander Asteroth @ 2021-12-12 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Dear all,

I'm trying to build my first guix package and so far, after a lot of
trial and error to find the right packages providing the necessary cmake
functionality I managed to get the package to compile. (up to the point
where the install script want's to copy some udev rules file)

The package is a linux software that can be used with logitech
presenters [0]. Therefore it needs udev rules/devices to communicate
with the device.

The question now is, what is the correct guix-way to implement this:

I tried to import the libgudev module but that that only results in the
package wanting to write to another write-protected directory from the
store.

As I understand, the udev-rules are usually created on system
level. That would mean I need to split the package into a service part
and a package part? And remove the installation of the udev-file from
the package install process?

Or is there another way for a package to provide the udev rules from a
user-level install?

Cheers,
        Alex

-----