unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Could guix lint check the copyright line?
@ 2019-10-15 15:27 Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2019-10-15 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Wouldn't it be neat if guix lint would automatically spot missing
copyright lines in the file headers?  It could rely on `git blame' to
identify who wrote more than some 15 lines in a file.

What do you think?

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Could guix lint check the copyright line?
@ 2019-10-15 17:10 ` ng0
From: ng0 @ 2019-10-15 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Pierre Neidhardt transcribed 907 bytes:
> Wouldn't it be neat if guix lint would automatically spot missing
> copyright lines in the file headers?  It could rely on `git blame' to
> identify who wrote more than some 15 lines in a file.

That's a really low threshold given that sometimes
people changed 2 or 3 lines in a file or 1 and still
get to add their copyright line. If we don't have it,
no one will complain I guess. And then we have to
distinguish author and commiter as well.

@ 2019-10-15 17:17   ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2019-10-15 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ng0, guix-devel

ng0 <ng0@n0.is> writes:

> That's a really low threshold given that sometimes
> people changed 2 or 3 lines in a file or 1 and still
> get to add their copyright line.

That's fine, we can also assign a copyright for 1 line.

> If we don't have it, no one will complain I guess. And then we have to
> distinguish author and commiter as well.

Copyright goes to author, not committer.

--

@ 2019-10-19 20:21 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2019-10-19 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi!

Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> skribis:

> Wouldn't it be neat if guix lint would automatically spot missing
> copyright lines in the file headers?  It could rely on `git blame' to
> identify who wrote more than some 15 lines in a file.
>
> What do you think?

That check would have to be optional because ‘guix lint’ is not
necessarily running from a Git checkout.  Also, I wonder how frequent
false-positives would be.

Thanks,
Ludo’.