unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Membership disabled due to excessive bounces
@ 2018-11-11 10:58 Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2018-11-11 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi Guix,

Today is the second time I receive a membership deletion email from the
mailing list (first one was on the 31st of October).

It starts with:

> Your membership in the mailing list Guix-devel has been disabled due
> to excessive bounces The last bounce received from you was dated
> 11-Nov-2018.  You will not get any more messages from this list until
> you re-enable your membership.  You will receive 3 more reminders like
> this before your membership in the list is deleted.

I've re-enabled my membership both times.

My email is hosted by https://gandi.net (I use their email hosting
service).  I send emails with Emacs' mu4e if that matters.

Does anyone know why this happens?  I've never had this issue before
with any other mailing list (most of them also hosted by Mailman).

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Membership disabled due to excessive bounces
@ 2018-11-11 11:02 ` Amirouche Boubekki
From: Amirouche Boubekki @ 2018-11-11 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: guix-devel, Guix-devel

On 2018-11-11 11:58, Pierre Neidhardt wrote:
> Hi Guix,

Hi!

> I've re-enabled my membership both times.
>
> My email is hosted by https://gandi.net (I use their email hosting
> service).  I send emails with Emacs' mu4e if that matters.
>
> Does anyone know why this happens?  I've never had this issue before
> with any other mailing list (most of them also hosted by Mailman).

I have the same issue with gandi, I use the webmail.

--
Amirouche ~ amz3 ~ http://www.hyperdev.fr

* Re: Membership disabled due to excessive bounces
@ 2018-11-11 11:22   ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2018-11-11 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amirouche Boubekki; +Cc: guix-devel, guix-devel-bounces+amirouche=hypermove.net

Il giorno dom 11 nov 2018 alle ore 12:02 Amirouche Boubekki <
amirouche@hypermove.net> ha scritto:

> On 2018-11-11 11:58, Pierre Neidhardt wrote:
> > Hi Guix,
> >

> Hi!
>

> > I've re-enabled my membership both times.
> >
> > My email is hosted by https://gandi.net (I use their email hosting
> > service).  I send emails with Emacs' mu4e if that matters.
> >
> > Does anyone know why this happens?  I've never had this issue before
> > with any other mailing list (most of them also hosted by Mailman).
>
> I have the same issue with gandi, I use the webmail.

it happened to me too

Obviously, I use gmail

* Re: Membership disabled due to excessive bounces
@ 2018-11-11 22:51 ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2018-11-11 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: guix-devel

Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> writes:

> Today is the second time I receive a membership deletion email from the
> mailing list (first one was on the 31st of October).
>
> It starts with:
>
>> Your membership in the mailing list Guix-devel has been disabled due
>> to excessive bounces The last bounce received from you was dated
>> 11-Nov-2018.  You will not get any more messages from this list until
>> you re-enable your membership.  You will receive 3 more reminders like
>> this before your membership in the list is deleted.
>
> I've re-enabled my membership both times.
>
> My email is hosted by https://gandi.net (I use their email hosting
> service).  I send emails with Emacs' mu4e if that matters.
>
> Does anyone know why this happens?  I've never had this issue before
> with any other mailing list (most of them also hosted by Mailman).

It's happening because there's a Guix developer, who will remain
unnamed, who has configured a very strict DMARC policy for their email
domain, and the GNU infrastructure is not currently able to cope well
with this.  There are at least two unresolved issues:

(1) When Guix developers push commits to our git repository, Savannah
sends a notification email on their behalf, with the developer's email
address in the "From:" header.

(2) GNU Mailman apparently breaks the DKIM signatures on replies in some
cases, due to its processing of the mail and its modification of certain
mail headers.

In both cases, the end result is that messages sent on this developer's
behalf by Savannah or GNU Mailman are rejected by email providers that
honor this developer's strict DMARC policy.

Solutions exist for both of these problems.  The latest version of GNU
Mailman apparently avoids breaking DKIM signatures, and the git
notification commit could be changed to use a different email address in
the "From:" header.

However, it will take some time for the GNU sysadmins to upgrade
Mailman.  In the meantime, unless the Guix developer will agree to
change their DMARC policy (which they seem very reluctant to do), I'm
sorry to report that we will have to live with this issue for a while
longer.

      Mark

* Re: Membership disabled due to excessive bounces
@ 2018-11-12 20:41 ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2018-11-12 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: guix-devel

Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> writes:

> Today is the second time I receive a membership deletion email from the
> mailing list (first one was on the 31st of October).
>
> It starts with:
>
>> Your membership in the mailing list Guix-devel has been disabled due
>> to excessive bounces The last bounce received from you was dated
>> 11-Nov-2018.  You will not get any more messages from this list until
>> you re-enable your membership.  You will receive 3 more reminders like
>> this before your membership in the list is deleted.
>
> I've re-enabled my membership both times.
>
> My email is hosted by https://gandi.net (I use their email hosting
> service).  I send emails with Emacs' mu4e if that matters.

Actually, it turns out that Gandi has been rejecting some of our mailing
list emails simply because they judge some of the messages to look like
spam.

This is a different problem than the DMARC policy issue that I mentioned
in my previous message in this thread.  The DMARC issue causes Gmail
users to have their subscriptions disabled.

       Mark

* Re: Membership disabled due to excessive bounces
@ 2018-11-12 20:54   ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2018-11-12 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: guix-devel

What shall we do then?

--

@ 2018-11-12 21:06     ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2018-11-12 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: guix-devel

Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> writes:
> What shall we do then?

Off-list, I sent you one of the bounce messages, which includes the
original message that was rejected.  If you could ask Gandi for more
information on why they rejected the message and report back, that would
be helpful.

      Mark

* Re: Membership disabled due to excessive bounces
@ 2018-11-12 21:21     ` swedebugia
From: swedebugia @ 2018-11-12 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt, Mark H Weaver; +Cc: guix-devel

On 2018-11-12 21:54, Pierre Neidhardt wrote:
> What shall we do then?

Switch to Riseup! ;-)

Seriously their infrastructure is rock solid and stable and I never had
any issues. Donation based and run entirely on free software with <3

--
Cheers
Swedebugia

* Re: Membership disabled due to excessive bounces
@ 2018-11-15  7:21       ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2018-11-15  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: swedebugia; +Cc: guix-devel

I've contacted Gandi and they told me they fixed the issue.  It was due to
Thorsten having a wordpress URL in his signature :(

Thank you Mark for providing me with the .eml.

--

@ 2018-11-23 17:25         ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2018-11-23 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: swedebugia; +Cc: guix-devel

My membership was disabled again today.

Mark, could you provide me the .eml?

--

@ 2018-11-23 17:36           ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2018-11-23 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: guix-devel

Pierre,

Pierre Neidhardt wrote:
> My membership was disabled again today.

Sorry, this was probably my fault this time. In the Guix birthday
thread.

I've created a DMARCless subdomain to use on these lists until GNU
fixes their listserv, and configured mu4e to use it automatically.

That unfortunately didn't happen due to a typo, but it should be
fixed now.

Kind regards,

T G-R

* Re: Membership disabled due to excessive bounces
@ 2018-11-23 19:47           ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2018-11-23 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Pierre,

Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> writes:

> My membership was disabled again today.
>
> Mark, could you provide me the .eml?

It was caused by a message from Thorsten.  Gandi Mail have frequently
been rejecting Thorsten's messages, with the following reason given:

  Reject for policy reason. RULE2_1: Message detected as phishing either
  by heuristic analysis or through a fraudulent link found in it.

Other Gandi Mail users have had their subscriptions auto-disabled as
well, including shortly after you reported that they had claimed to have
fixed the issue.  I see no evidence that they fixed it.

       Mark

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 6616 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 324 bytes --]

This is a Mailman mailing list bounce action notice:

    List:       Guix-devel
    Member:     mail@ambrevar.xyz
    Action:     Subscription disabled.
    Reason:     Excessive or fatal bounces.

The triggering bounce notice is attached below.

Questions? Contact the Mailman site administrator at mailman@gnu.org.

[-- Attachment #2.1.2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 4833 bytes --]

From: Mail Delivery System <Mailer-Daemon@gnu.org>
To: guix-devel-bounces+mail=ambrevar.xyz@gnu.org
Subject: Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2018 12:15:34 -0500

  mail@ambrevar.xyz
    SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
    host spool.mail.gandi.net [217.70.178.1]: 550 5.7.1  Reject for policy reason RULE2_1. See http://postmaster.gandi.net

Subject: Re: Packaging Arcan
To: guix-devel@gnu.org
From: Thorsten Wilms <t_w_@freenet.de>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2018 18:12:13 +0100
Sender: "Guix-devel" <guix-devel-bounces+mail=ambrevar.xyz@gnu.org>

On 23/11/2018 13.14, L p R n d n wrote:
> 1. Using 'guix lint', I get the same error for all packages:
> 'the source file name should contain the package name' which I don't
> understand. So what's wrong?

I had one such case, where it has been pointed out to me, that using
git-fetch results in a cryptic filename, unless one adds
(file-name (git-file-name name version))
in the origin form.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/

* Re: Membership disabled due to excessive bounces
@ 2018-11-23 19:56             ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2018-11-23 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: guix-devel

I've contacted Gandi again.