unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Website, differentiating GuixSD vs Guix
@ 2015-05-20 19:22 Paul van der Walt
From: Paul van der Walt @ 2015-05-20 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-devel

Hello Guix,

Minor headache i had, thought i'd share.

Went to the website to download the binary tarball (which seems to work
very well, kudos!), but was bitten by the fact that the GuixSD and GNU
Guix downloads aren't separated. I first ended up with GuixSD instead of
Guix, then after reading way too quickly concluded that i686 was what i
wanted, ended up with the wrong Guix for my platform (x86_64, which is
visually at the end of the "list" containing GuixSD 0.8.2 (x86_64) and
GuixSD 0.8.2 (i686)).

So, i realise i should read more carefully and all, but perhaps a
horizontal rule between the two GuixSD and the 4 GNU Guix downloads
would be nice?

Feel free to call me hasty and myopic or just ignore me. Otherwise it
looks really polished, congrats :)

Ciao,
p.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Website, differentiating GuixSD vs Guix
@ 2015-05-21 21:43 ` Luis Felipe López Acevedo
From: Luis Felipe López Acevedo @ 2015-05-21 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul van der Walt; +Cc: Guix-devel

On 2015-05-20 14:22, Paul van der Walt wrote:
> Hello Guix,
>
> Minor headache i had, thought i'd share.
>
> Went to the website to download the binary tarball (which seems to work
> very well, kudos!), but was bitten by the fact that the GuixSD and GNU
> Guix downloads aren't separated. I first ended up with GuixSD instead
> of
> Guix, then after reading way too quickly concluded that i686 was what i
> wanted, ended up with the wrong Guix for my platform (x86_64, which is
> visually at the end of the "list" containing GuixSD 0.8.2 (x86_64) and
> GuixSD 0.8.2 (i686)).
>
> So, i realise i should read more carefully and all, but perhaps a
> horizontal rule between the two GuixSD and the 4 GNU Guix downloads
> would be nice?
>
> Feel free to call me hasty and myopic or just ignore me. Otherwise it
> looks really polished, congrats :)
>
> Ciao,
> p.

Hey, Paul, thanks for your feedback.

The items in the download page will be updated to look like in the
following mock-up to make them more compact:

https://multimedialib.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/guixsd-downloads-mockup-2015-05-21.png

Hopefully, the new design will also help people who push buttons without
reading (just kidding :)).

--
Luis Felipe López Acevedo
http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/

* Re: Website, differentiating GuixSD vs Guix
@ 2015-05-24 16:44   ` Amirouche Boubekki
From: Amirouche Boubekki @ 2015-05-24 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe López Acevedo; +Cc: Guix-devel

felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org>:

> On 2015-05-20 14:22, Paul van der Walt wrote:
>
>> Hello Guix,
>>
>> Minor headache i had, thought i'd share.
>>
>> Went to the website to download the binary tarball (which seems to work
>> very well, kudos!), but was bitten by the fact that the GuixSD and GNU
>> Guix downloads aren't separated. I first ended up with GuixSD instead of
>> Guix, then after reading way too quickly concluded that i686 was what i
>> wanted, ended up with the wrong Guix for my platform (x86_64, which is
>> visually at the end of the "list" containing GuixSD 0.8.2 (x86_64) and
>> GuixSD 0.8.2 (i686)).
>>
>> So, i realise i should read more carefully and all, but perhaps a
>> horizontal rule between the two GuixSD and the 4 GNU Guix downloads
>> would be nice?
>>
>> Feel free to call me hasty and myopic or just ignore me. Otherwise it
>> looks really polished, congrats :)
>>
>> Ciao,
>> p.
>>

> Hey, Paul, thanks for your feedback.
>
> The items in the download page will be updated to look like in the
> following mock-up to make them more compact:
>

> https://multimedialib.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/guixsd-downloads-mockup-2015-05-21.png
>
> Hopefully, the new design will also help people

What do you think about using a “laptop logo” or something for GSD instead
of the “package”?

> who push buttons without reading (just kidding :)).

Those who don't know the difference between GSD and Guix :)

@ 2015-05-24 17:31     ` Luis Felipe López Acevedo
From: Luis Felipe López Acevedo @ 2015-05-24 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amirouche Boubekki; +Cc: Guix-devel

On 2015-05-24 11:44, Amirouche Boubekki wrote:
> <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org>:

[...]

>> Hey, Paul, thanks for your feedback.
>>
>> The items in the download page will be updated to look like in the
>> following mock-up to make them more compact:
>>

> https://multimedialib.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/guixsd-downloads-mockup-2015-05-21.png
>> [1]
>>
>> Hopefully, the new design will also help people
>
> What do you think about using a “laptop logo” or something for GSD
> instead of the “package”?

I think it's a good idea. I can make the change if others agree.

--

@ 2015-05-25 14:18       ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-05-25 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe López Acevedo; +Cc: Guix-devel

Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> skribis:

> On 2015-05-24 11:44, Amirouche Boubekki wrote:

[...]

>> What do you think about using a “laptop logo” or something for GSD
>> instead of the “package”?
>
> I think it's a good idea. I can make the change if others agree.

Why not, sounds good to me.

Ludo’.