unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Outreachy December round
@ 2018-09-05  8:33 Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2018-09-05  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi Guix,

the Outreachy December round of internships will open for registrations
on September 10 — this is in less than a week.

The Guix community is welcome to participate in the upcoming round as a
mentoring organization.  In order to participate we need people who
would like to (co-)mentor interns to prepare project proposals and submit
them on the Outreachy website:

    https://www.outreachy.org/communities/cfp/gnu-guix/

Please let us know here *soon* if you would like to mentor an intern and
what project you have in mind, so that we can submit a proposal in
time.  (This takes some time as we would like project proposals to be
detailed enough to contain actionable items and milestones that allow
us to evaluate the intern’s progress.)

Currently, we have no project proposals and no mentors.  I will be
available as a co-mentor.

Thanks!

--
Ricardo

* Re: Outreachy December round
@ 2018-09-06 18:48 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2018-09-06 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

> Hi Guix,
>
> the Outreachy December round of internships will open for registrations
> on September 10 — this is in less than a week.
>
> The Guix community is welcome to participate in the upcoming round as a
> mentoring organization.  In order to participate we need people who
> would like to (co-)mentor interns to prepare project proposals and submit
> them on the Outreachy website:
>
>     https://www.outreachy.org/communities/cfp/gnu-guix/
>
> Please let us know here *soon* if you would like to mentor an intern and
> what project you have in mind, so that we can submit a proposal in
> time.  (This takes some time as we would like project proposals to be
> detailed enough to contain actionable items and milestones that allow
> us to evaluate the intern’s progress.)
>
> Currently, we have no project proposals and no mentors.  I will be
> available as a co-mentor.

The Outreachy organizers have approved GNU Guix to participate in the
current round of Outreachy!

Please note that each mentor needs to submit their project proposals
through the Outreachy website:

    https://www.outreachy.org/communities/cfp/gnu-guix/

(We cannot list projects on an external page.)

--

@ 2018-09-06 21:01   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-09-06 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi!

Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:

> The Outreachy organizers have approved GNU Guix to participate in the
> current round of Outreachy!

Excellent!

Now to think about project proposals…

Ludo’.

* Re: Outreachy December round
@ 2018-09-08  7:36     ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2018-09-08  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:
>
>> The Outreachy organizers have approved GNU Guix to participate in the
>> current round of Outreachy!
>
> Excellent!
>
> Now to think about project proposals…

The application opening day has been shifted from Monday to Wednesday,
September 12.  That’s in four days.

If you would like to be a co-mentor or you have a good idea for an
internship project, please let us know as soon as you can, so that we
can prepare a proper proposal and submit it in time.

So far no project ideas have been submitted nor has anyone come forward
to volunteer as a mentor.

--

@ 2018-09-10  7:29       ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-09-10  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: Guix-devel

Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> ezt írta (időpont: 2018. szept. 8., Szo
9:58):

> Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:
> >
> >> The Outreachy organizers have approved GNU Guix to participate in the
> >> current round of Outreachy!
> >
> > Excellent!
> >
> > Now to think about project proposals…
>
> The application opening day has been shifted from Monday to Wednesday,
> September 12.  That’s in four days.
>
> If you would like to be a co-mentor or you have a good idea for an
> internship project, please let us know as soon as you can, so that we
> can prepare a proper proposal and submit it in time.

It seem right now that I will have enough time to be a mentor in this
round. What about the project we tried last round? Is it valid to resubmit
that? (I am not aware of the rules, but I still think that it is relevant).

@ 2018-09-10 12:21         ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-09-10 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello Gábor,

Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> skribis:

> Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> ezt írta (időpont: 2018. szept. 8., Szo

[...]

>> The application opening day has been shifted from Monday to Wednesday,
>> September 12.  That’s in four days.
>>
>> If you would like to be a co-mentor or you have a good idea for an
>> internship project, please let us know as soon as you can, so that we
>> can prepare a proper proposal and submit it in time.
>>
> It seem right now that I will have enough time to be a mentor in this
> round.

Great!

> What about the project we tried last round? Is it valid to resubmit
> that? (I am not aware of the rules, but I still think that it is
> relevant).

I would say no, mostly because I’m hoping we can get it done before the
internship starts (for 1.0).

Yesterday on IRC we discussed other possible projects: a PackageKit
backend (but PackageKit is biased towards “traditional” package
managers), a GNOME Software backend, and probably others I forgot.  We
ruled out the Cuirass web UI on the grounds that we need progress on
that front before the internship.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: Outreachy December round
@ 2018-09-10 17:58           ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-09-10 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> ezt írta (időpont: 2018. szept. 10., H
14:22):

> Hello Gábor,
>
> Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> skribis:
>
> > Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> ezt írta (időpont: 2018. szept. 8.,
> Szo
>
> [...]
>
> >> The application opening day has been shifted from Monday to Wednesday,
> >> September 12.  That’s in four days.
> >>
> >> If you would like to be a co-mentor or you have a good idea for an
> >> internship project, please let us know as soon as you can, so that we
> >> can prepare a proper proposal and submit it in time.
> >>
> > It seem right now that I will have enough time to be a mentor in this
> > round.
>
> Great!
>
> > What about the project we tried last round? Is it valid to resubmit
> > that? (I am not aware of the rules, but I still think that it is
> > relevant).
>
> I would say no, mostly because I’m hoping we can get it done before the
> internship starts (for 1.0).
>
> Yesterday on IRC we discussed other possible projects: a PackageKit
> backend (but PackageKit is biased towards “traditional” package
> managers), a GNOME Software backend, and probably others I forgot.  We
> ruled out the Cuirass web UI on the grounds that we need progress on
> that front before the internship.
>
> Thanks,
> Ludo’

Sorry for the confusion, I meant our last outreachy project aiming better
output for guix package. I have also seen an iteresting proposal from Danny
on network booting for the last GSoC round. I don't think I could mentor
that one, but I would like to comentor if that proposal is still live.

* Re: Outreachy December round
@ 2018-09-10 21:27       ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2018-09-10 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi Guix,

I wrote earlier:

> The Outreachy organizers have approved GNU Guix to participate in the
> current round of Outreachy!
[…]
> The application opening day has been shifted from Monday to Wednesday,
> September 12.  That’s in four days.

The application round opening has again been delayed.  Applications will
open on September 19.  The Outreachy organizers strongly recommend
having projects ready be then, so that early applicants can see them.

October 9 is the last day to submit a new project, and October 30 is the
dealine for intern applications.  To maximize our chances we should
submit project proposals as soon as possible.

--
Ricardo