unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Commit Access: Sharlatan Hellseher
@ 2024-01-11 19:56 Sharlatan Hellseher
From: Sharlatan Hellseher @ 2024-01-11 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi Guix!

I am happy to have been granted commit access and I am ready to help
review pending issues and prepare queued packages for GNU packages in
astronomy. I would like to concentrate on the packages covered by the
Go, Lisp, Python, and Science teams.

I would like to thank the Guix team for allowing me to become a
committer member. I am looking forward to continuing our collaboration.

If anyone has a good patch review workflow using Emacs, Gnus, and Magit,
I would appreciate it ;-)

Regards,
Sharlatan Hellseher (Oleg)

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Commit Access: Sharlatan Hellseher
@ 2024-01-12 16:21 ` Clément Lassieur
From: Clément Lassieur @ 2024-01-12 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharlatan Hellseher; +Cc: guix-devel

On Thu, Jan 11 2024, Sharlatan Hellseher wrote:

> Hi Guix!
>
> I am happy to have been granted commit access and I am ready to help
> review pending issues and prepare queued packages for GNU packages in
> astronomy. I would like to concentrate on the packages covered by the
> Go, Lisp, Python, and Science teams.
>
> I would like to thank the Guix team for allowing me to become a
> committer member. I am looking forward to continuing our collaboration.
>
> If anyone has a good patch review workflow using Emacs, Gnus, and Magit,
> I would appreciate it ;-)

Hey, welcome.

I use this Emacs code to apply patches, with emacs-debbugs and Gnus.

(defun my-apply-patch-or-abort ()
  (interactive)
  (my-apply-patch-internal "git am || git am --abort"))

(defun my-apply-patch ()
  (interactive)
  (my-apply-patch-internal "git am --reject"))

(defun my-apply-patch-or-abort-attachment (n)
  (interactive "P")
  (my-apply-patch-attachment-internal "git am || git am --abort" n))

(defun my-apply-patch-attachment (n)
  (interactive "P")
  (my-apply-patch-attachment-internal "git am --reject" n))

(defun my-apply-patch-attachment-internal (cmd n)
  "C-u <attachment number> M-x my-apply-..."
  (let ((git-dir "~/src/guix"))
    (save-window-excursion
      (gnus-article-part-wrapper
       (lambda (handle)
         (let ((default-directory git-dir))
           (mm-pipe-part handle cmd)))))))

(defun my-apply-patch-internal (cmd)
  "Works with a selection of articles."
  (let ((git-dir "~/src/guix")
        (articles (gnus-summary-work-articles nil)))
    (save-window-excursion
      (while articles
        (gnus-summary-goto-subject (pop articles))
        (with-current-buffer gnus-summary-buffer
          (let ((default-directory git-dir))
            (gnus-summary-save-in-pipe cmd))
          (gnus-article-hide-headers))))))

Just my 2 cents, I imagine every person here has their own workflow.

Clément

* Re: Commit Access: Sharlatan Hellseher
@ 2024-01-15  8:45   ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2024-01-15  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clément Lassieur; +Cc: Sharlatan Hellseher, guix-devel

On Fri, Jan 12, 2024 at 05:21:51PM +0100, Clément Lassieur wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 11 2024, Sharlatan Hellseher wrote:
>
> > Hi Guix!
> >
> > I am happy to have been granted commit access and I am ready to help
> > review pending issues and prepare queued packages for GNU packages in
> > astronomy. I would like to concentrate on the packages covered by the
> > Go, Lisp, Python, and Science teams.
> >
> > I would like to thank the Guix team for allowing me to become a
> > committer member. I am looking forward to continuing our collaboration.
> >
> > If anyone has a good patch review workflow using Emacs, Gnus, and Magit,
> > I would appreciate it ;-)
>
> Hey, welcome.
>
> I use this Emacs code to apply patches, with emacs-debbugs and Gnus.

> (defun my-apply-patch-or-abort ()
>   (interactive)
>   (my-apply-patch-internal "git am || git am --abort"))
>
> (defun my-apply-patch ()
>   (interactive)
>   (my-apply-patch-internal "git am --reject"))
>
> (defun my-apply-patch-or-abort-attachment (n)
>   (interactive "P")
>   (my-apply-patch-attachment-internal "git am || git am --abort" n))
>
> (defun my-apply-patch-attachment (n)
>   (interactive "P")
>   (my-apply-patch-attachment-internal "git am --reject" n))
>
> (defun my-apply-patch-attachment-internal (cmd n)
>   "C-u <attachment number> M-x my-apply-..."
>   (let ((git-dir "~/src/guix"))
>     (save-window-excursion
>       (gnus-article-part-wrapper
>        (lambda (handle)
>          (let ((default-directory git-dir))
>            (mm-pipe-part handle cmd)))))))
>
> (defun my-apply-patch-internal (cmd)
>   "Works with a selection of articles."
>   (let ((git-dir "~/src/guix")
>         (articles (gnus-summary-work-articles nil)))
>     (save-window-excursion
>       (while articles
>         (gnus-summary-goto-subject (pop articles))
>         (with-current-buffer gnus-summary-buffer
>           (let ((default-directory git-dir))
>             (gnus-summary-save-in-pipe cmd))
>           (gnus-article-hide-headers))))))
>
> Just my 2 cents, I imagine every person here has their own workflow.

I'm going to suggest 'git am -3' that someone else here suggested to me.
When a patch fails to apply cleanly git will try harder and leave the
failed-to-apply bits inside the code, making it easier to clean-up the
patch than to manually apply it.

--
Efraim Flashner   <efraim@flashner.co.il>   רנשלפ םירפא

@ 2024-01-16  1:38 ` John Kehayias
From: John Kehayias @ 2024-01-16  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharlatan Hellseher; +Cc: guix-devel

On Thu, Jan 11, 2024 at 07:56 PM, Sharlatan Hellseher wrote:

> Hi Guix!
>
> I am happy to have been granted commit access and I am ready to help
> review pending issues and prepare queued packages for GNU packages in
> astronomy. I would like to concentrate on the packages covered by the
> Go, Lisp, Python, and Science teams.
>
> I would like to thank the Guix team for allowing me to become a
> committer member. I am looking forward to continuing our collaboration.
>
> If anyone has a good patch review workflow using Emacs, Gnus, and Magit,
> I would appreciate it ;-)
>
> Regards,
> Sharlatan Hellseher (Oleg)

Welcome and looking forward to your further Guix contributions!

John

* Re: Commit Access: Sharlatan Hellseher
@ 2024-01-16 11:07   ` Rostislav Svoboda
From: Rostislav Svoboda @ 2024-01-16 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clément Lassieur; +Cc: Sharlatan Hellseher, guix-devel

> Just my 2 cents, I imagine every person here has their own workflow.

I personally don't have any yet (and I assume I'm not the only one) so
I'm really thankful for your snippet.
Cheers Bost

* Re: Commit Access: Sharlatan Hellseher
@ 2024-01-17 14:37     ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2024-01-17 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharlatan Hellseher; +Cc: Clément Lassieur, Efraim Flashner, guix-devel

Hi,

Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> writes:

> On Fri, Jan 12, 2024 at 05:21:51PM +0100, Clément Lassieur wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 11 2024, Sharlatan Hellseher wrote:
>>
>> > Hi Guix!
>> >
>> > I am happy to have been granted commit access and I am ready to help
>> > review pending issues and prepare queued packages for GNU packages in
>> > astronomy. I would like to concentrate on the packages covered by the
>> > Go, Lisp, Python, and Science teams.
>> >
>> > I would like to thank the Guix team for allowing me to become a
>> > committer member. I am looking forward to continuing our collaboration.
>> >
>> > If anyone has a good patch review workflow using Emacs, Gnus, and Magit,
>> > I would appreciate it ;-)

Another easy option is to retrieve the Message-ID of any message in the
series (via the source HTML of the mail archives, or directly from the
mail headers if you have the mail locally), and then use B4, Linux
style [0].  Example: suppose I wanted to apply and review this Perl
series [1], then I could apply locally to my Guix git checkout with:

b4 shazam 'a6492643b9e32409b8420e7d54ba290d0937b838.1705443194.git.felix.lechner@lease&#45;up.com'

It should get the latest revisions if there are, and apply the full
series in one go.

[0]  https://b4.docs.kernel.org/en/latest/maintainer/am-shazam.html
[1]  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-patches/2024-01/msg01180.html
Maxim

* Re: Commit Access: Sharlatan Hellseher
@ 2024-01-17 15:32 ` Simon Tournier
From: Simon Tournier @ 2024-01-17 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharlatan Hellseher, guix-devel

Hi Oleg,

On Thu, 11 Jan 2024 at 19:56, Sharlatan Hellseher <sharlatanus@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am happy to have been granted commit access

Cool!  Welcome.

> If anyone has a good patch review workflow using Emacs, Gnus, and Magit,
> I would appreciate it ;-)

Well, nothing more than what had been already suggested.  Well, somehow
pipe the messages with “git am -3s” and apply the patches to a Git
worktree (named cooking), then rebase this cooking on the top of
master.

Cheers,
simon

* Re: Commit Access: Sharlatan Hellseher
@ 2024-01-18  2:33       ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2024-01-18  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer
  Cc: Sharlatan Hellseher, Clément Lassieur, Efraim Flashner,
	guix-devel

Hi Maxim,

Maxim Cournoyer writes:

> Another easy option is to retrieve the Message-ID of any message in the
> series (via the source HTML of the mail archives, or directly from the
> mail headers if you have the mail locally), and then use B4, Linux
> style [0].  Example: suppose I wanted to apply and review this Perl
> series [1], then I could apply locally to my Guix git checkout with:

I was going to add that a key part of using b4 with public-inbox
instances outside of the default lore.kernel.org is setting b4.midmask.
But then I noticed that Guix's etc/git/gitconfig now has

    [b4]
            attestation-check-dkim = off
            attestation-policy = off
            linkmask = https://yhetil.org/guix/%s
            linktrailermask = https://yhetil.org/guix/%s
            midmask = https://yhetil.org/guix/%s

Neat.  Thanks for adding that!

* Re: Commit Access: Sharlatan Hellseher
@ 2024-01-18  3:33         ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2024-01-18  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Meyer
  Cc: Sharlatan Hellseher, Clément Lassieur, Efraim Flashner,
	guix-devel

Hi!

Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:

> Hi Maxim,
>
> Maxim Cournoyer writes:
>
>> Another easy option is to retrieve the Message-ID of any message in the
>> series (via the source HTML of the mail archives, or directly from the
>> mail headers if you have the mail locally), and then use B4, Linux
>> style [0].  Example: suppose I wanted to apply and review this Perl
>> series [1], then I could apply locally to my Guix git checkout with:
>
> I was going to add that a key part of using b4 with public-inbox
> instances outside of the default lore.kernel.org is setting b4.midmask.
> But then I noticed that Guix's etc/git/gitconfig now has
>
>     [b4]
>             attestation-check-dkim = off
>             attestation-policy = off
>             linkmask = https://yhetil.org/guix/%s
>             linktrailermask = https://yhetil.org/guix/%s
>             midmask = https://yhetil.org/guix/%s
>
> Neat.  Thanks for adding that!

This auto-config thing is powerful :-).  Perhaps we should add a word or
two about b4 and other workflows to our cookbook.  I also use patman for
managing submissions with ease (info "(u-boot) Patman patch manager").

Maxim